It's Thinking! - 15 years of Sega Dreamcast 9/9/14

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I just picked up a Japanese Dreamcast recently and bought a second NA one on Sunday; I had forgotten it was the DC's birthday! Bomberman Online was the first game I had ever played online, and games like Bangai-O, Canon Spike, Sega Rally, SFIII, Project Justice, Grandia 2 and Shenmue - to name a few - kept me playing for what felt like hours on end. I was also one of those ones who used VGA with the system.
The DC library is timeless. The titles were varied of course, but so many of them were solid and are still fun to this day.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
This thread made me bust out my DC and start playing Shenmue all over again.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That's why I could never sell mine. Even though I barely play it anymore, there's a certain amount comfort knowing I can whenever I actually get the urge.

Then again most times I can quell that urge by playing Sega games that remind of the Dreamcast like Daytona USA, Nights, JGR, Fighting Vipers etc on current consoles.

I find those tend to scratch the itch pretty good.

Edit: Ugh I just sold a bunch of my best and favorite Dreamcast games on here over the last couple of weeks and this thread is making me regret it lol.

A lot of the fighters were ported to other systems, but there's just some games that have no equivalent. Damn, Jet Grind Radio...

Also need to play some Crazy Taxi again too.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I remember using Bleem to run Playstation games on the DC. Funny thing was those PS1 games looked better on DC than it was on the PS1.

RoadBuster

Crossed Swords Squire
Maybe it's taboo to say on here... but the Dreamcast will always be my favorite system. I was there on midnight 9/9/99 despite having school the next day. That system I picked up then still works to this day, although I have a couple others now, too. My DC went all over the Eastern side of the US with me for years and years. So many great games and memories.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
HBD to the DC.It was the only console i ever bought at it's release.I spent countless hours playing pso for it.What was great about the dc is how well it handle fighters and shoot'em ups.It's some thing,even today that homebrew developers still support the console.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I remember using Bleem to run Playstation games on the DC. Funny thing was those PS1 games looked better on DC than it was on the PS1.

The Grand Turismo 2 Bleem made you see all kinds of things on the game that you never thought were there. Reflections of the trees and the road on the cars...say what?!

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I remember how badly I wanted one back then when it launched, but my family was dirt poor so I didn't get one until many years later. I did get to enjoy it over a friend's house atleast. Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi blew me away. Such a great system.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The Grand Turismo 2 Bleem made you see all kinds of things on the game that you never thought were there. Reflections of the trees and the road on the cars...say what?!

I had Metal Gear Solid Bleem! -w- a VGA cable on a great Viewsonic monitor (back in 2002 or so)...the game was stupid clean.

I poke fun at DC fanboys but the DC did have some serious promise and potential, unfortunately it really never came to pass. Most of the good DC games can be found elsewhere now. When I boiled down my systems a few years ago, I had to have a good reason to keep it besides how "neat" it was. The DC was one of those I shed because in all reality, I didn't ever play the thing and I personally had no games that I considered must have.

Granted, this is personal opinion...I know plenty feel the opposite.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Today is also one of my best friend's birthdays. We both got Dreamcasts on 9-9-99 (with pre-orders) from Best Buy. I got SoulCalibur with mine, and he got Sonic Adventure, House of the Dead 2, and 2 light guns with his. So many good memories from just that selection of games, let alone the 100+ more I've picked up over the years. I think we'll probably play some DC for old time sake tonight after work.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Still a great system which I play today. In the top 5 of best systems for me.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Sonic Adventure 2 first level demo just blew me away back when they gave away the discs for free, I was in speed heaven. I like Sonic Adventure but I didn't like the exploration, I just liked the speed stages running on spiral after spiral and feeling the speed. The Dreamcast Official Mag was so classy, tips & tricks were starting to look cheap when compared. I feel XBOX OEM followed that direction with free discs, I loved those days.

SPAWN on a VGA projector 4 player, get ready for mayhem!

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
There are a lot of good games for the DC, but these 10 are my must-have/must-keep games:

Crazy Taxi
Jet Grind Radio
MVC
MVC2
Power Stone
Sonic Adventure
SoulCalibur
SF3: 3rd Strike
Virtua Tennis
Zero Gunner 2 (JP)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Soulcalibur destroying the arcade PCB with graphics unseen before really blew me away. Evertime I play the PCB I like it but it's almost unpractical to play it with the DC version being so much better. The HD XBL release was great, the lack of online really hurts though, I'm glad SCII it's out. Tekken 3 Bleem was so pretty until Tekken Tag PS2 just cleaned it even further.

I'm gonna add some more here.

Capcom vs SNK series
Ikaruga
Rez
Last Blade II
KOF 2001 (Had the stages from previous KOFs as unlockables)
KOF '99 Dreamatch
KOF '99 Evolution
Mars Matrix (So much more stuff than the CPS2 cart, too bad the graphics were filtered)
Gunbird 2 (Great aperture comb filter, looks so great on S-Video)
Gigawing & Gigawing 2 (Bombah!)
Resident Evil 2 (So clean, my favorite RE game)
Dino Crisis (So good!)

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Dreamcast, for me, was all about Sunday fighting game sessions with my friends.

Capcom Vs SNK 2 was always the first pick, as it allowed friends to use the Capcom characters whilst I could opt to make an SNK only, or CapSNK hybrid team instead. We played that EVERY Sunday, pretty much without fail... for around 5 years as it was definitely the best version available. I tried to get them into SF3 series, but sadly, that was a no go. They liked MOTW though...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I feel all the ports were great. I know there are discrepancies but the games played so good for me back in the day. I love my Dreamcast.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
Bought mine launch day, even though I was broke at the time and could barely afford it (nice priorities). I was so blind with excitement I actually thought Sonic Adventure was an amazing game!

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Bought mine launch day, even though I was broke at the time and could barely afford it (nice priorities). I was so blind with excitement I actually thought Sonic Adventure was an amazing game!

I still enjoy it. I agree with the above point that some (many) of the exploration parts are unnecessary, but the game has a lot of charm and brings back such great memories I can't help but love it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I wanted a Dreamcast so badly that I couldn't wait, i overpaid for a Japanese system and Virtua Fighter 3tb, and got Sonic, MvC, and KoF in the following weeks. Heaven on earth.

By the us release I was working at Best Buy. I was in another department, but everyone knew I had a system and I sold SO MANY Dreamcasts. I was doing God's work.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I wanted a Dreamcast so badly that I couldn't wait, i overpaid for a Japanese system and Virtua Fighter 3tb, and got Sonic, MvC, and KoF in the following weeks. Heaven on earth.

By the us release I was working at Best Buy. I was in another department, but everyone knew I had a system and I sold SO MANY Dreamcasts. I was doing God's work.

You are a blessing and a saint sir.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I traded in almost my entire console collection to get a DC at launch. It took me a few years to get everything back that I wanted, but I have no regrets. The only things I'm missing that I had before are an intellivision and a TG16, and I really don't miss those a whole lot.

So many days spent playing power stone 1/2, soul calibur, MvC2, DOA2, even crazy taxi and ready 2 rumble boxing. Not to mention the shmups. Good times.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
So I discovered as I went to play my JP GigaWang today, that it will no longer read CD-Rs, so no boot disc for me. I guess today will be filled with Jet Grind Radio and Grandia 2 instead of JGR and GigaWing.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Do you need a boot disc beefs?! I might just have one for you.