I've finally got a Android smart-phone, what are your guys' favorite apps?

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
It's a Samsung Galaxy S III in Pebble-blue, which replaced my 7-year-old KRZR. I've only owned it since Saturday, but fortunately I'm past the suck-end of the smartphone learning-curve.

As for apps: I've been specifically hunting for astronomy, photography, amateur radio, meteorology, Japanese/English-language tutors/dictionaries, social-media stuff, oh... and the game de rigueur: Angry Birds.

What are the apps you think are awesome?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
My favorite app is Crazy Tilt Arcade Challenge by Zeljko "Failure" Aksentijevic.
Please download and rate one star.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Japanese: Simeji keyboard and Rikai

Others:
ES File Explorer
Astro
Google Translate
Viber
Rescan SD

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Last.FM Free - App that accesses the 'last.fm' database and allows you to download any mp3 you want for free. banned from play store so you'll have to find an .apk of it elsewhere.
aDownloader - good for downloading torrents (thanks to this app i average 100GB/month on my data)
Launcher Pro - I hate stock launchers & prefer something minimal that gets the job done. This is my favorite out of all of them.
Ghost Commander - File manager app that allows for split-screen view to make it easier to transfer files around
TeslaLED - probably the best flashlight app on the market
Dolphin Browser - The one formerly known as 'Dolphin HD'. I've literally tried every single browser on the market and this is the one I always go back to.
Tiny Player - If you just want something really simple w/ a plain folder style view, this is the one to get (similar to Folder Player, I just found I prefer this one)
MX Video Player - Best video player for android. Is practically the only one that can handle 720P video files just fine.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
MX Video Player - Best video player for android. Is practically the only one that can handle 720P video files just fine.

Must be your phone, my S3 can handle 1080p .mkv just fine with the standard samsung player.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
streamfurious

for internet radio .pls .m3u

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
I absolutely love Soundhound. It's nothing special, but whatever.

I whip out Soundhound from time to time. It was freaky when I used it while watching the Olympics closing ceremony on TV and it started to display the lyrics as they were being sung.

-I use K-9 Mail instead of the built-in mail as the version of the mail client I have doesn't have an empty trash function (and ended up using too much storage without using the SD cards.)
-I use a couple of local bus apps to track buses.
-TweetCaster as my twitter client.
-Camera Zoom as my main camera application. (Doesn't do video though.)
-Dolphin Browser as my main browser
-Skyfire browser for flash-video sites (I don't have flash for my phone.)
-PocketCloud to occasionally connect to my home systems.
-Aldiko eReader
-Titanium Backup (if your phone is rooted)
-Tapatalk

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I don't really use my phone to its full potential... maybe I still see a phone as being a phone. I do have Angry Birds installed (who doesn't) but haven't played it in over a year. Ones I actually use:

- Twitter
- Weatherbug (came with the phone but whatever)
- Baseball Reference
- Urban Dictonary
- RingDroid (to make custom ring tones)
- Flickr

I think that's it.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
OperaMini for internet browser. Download this first so you don't have to deal with the horrid default browser.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Must be your phone, my S3 can handle 1080p .mkv just fine with the standard samsung player.

you're not one of those samsung fanboys are you?

hopefully not... and in case you're new to all of this, for some time now it's been a struggle getting 720P .mkv files to play smoothly on smart phones(originally, play at all). it seemed hopeless getting such files to play smoothly on single core phones and continued to be a pain on dual-core phones. development on the 'mx video player' app had started progressing nicely in late '11 & by the beginning of this year it was the 1st app capable of fluid 720P video playback on dual-core phones.
such files do in fact play fine with mx on my phone. i have not yet tried 1080P files on it though.

as for your precious "s3", i was originally considering getting it back when it was supposed to be a quad-core phone, but since it's a dual-core 1.5ghz like my current phone, i decided against it.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I do have Angry Birds installed (who doesn't)
I don't.

Go launcher ex
Polaris office
Evernote
Drop box
Msecure (synced via drop box)
Titanium backup (paid version)
Power amp music player
Flv player
Sky fm
Digitally imported
Clockwork mod recovery
Opera mini and/or dolphin browser
Maildroid
Widgetsoid
Xe currency converter
Pulse
Minimalistic text
Brightness level (in combination with witgetsoid to make an invisible button on your homescreen)
Simple calendar widget

Edit:

Why would anyone want to watch 1080p movies on his phone? Aren't most of those at least 9gb in size?

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
you're not one of those samsung fanboys are you?

hopefully not... and in case you're new to all of this, for some time now it's been a struggle getting 720P .mkv files to play smoothly on smart phones(originally, play at all). it seemed hopeless getting such files to play smoothly on single core phones and continued to be a pain on dual-core phones. development on the 'mx video player' app had started progressing nicely in late '11 & by the beginning of this year it was the 1st app capable of fluid 720P video playback on dual-core phones.
such files do in fact play fine with mx on my phone. i have not yet tried 1080P files on it though.

as for your precious "s3", i was originally considering getting it back when it was supposed to be a quad-core phone, but since it's a dual-core 1.5ghz like my current phone, i decided against it.

So it is your phone.

Why would anyone want to watch 1080p movies on his phone? Aren't most of those at least 9gb in size?

I'm just saying it works, that's all.

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
So it is your phone.

I never said my current phone had any problems. I was generalizing the video issue as an on going issue for the entire android community for some time and apparently's made huge progress so far this year.

From your responses, you seem a bit too "into" your phone & clearly looking to pick a fight here. I don't know what your beef is but would appreciate it if you just dropped the whole thing.

Thanks

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
barcode scanner
converter pad
airpush detector
bubble level
electro dro
gas buddy
google sky maps
shazam
talking translator
where's my droid
emu's: nes.emu, Neo.emu, superGnes, mame4droid

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Looks like I struck a nerve there.
Not even looking for "beef", just calling you out for your bullshit generalisation.
You're obviously trying to avoid this topic because you have nothing else to add.
I'm also not "into my phone", just stating facts. I guess magic is responsible for my phone having no problems with 720p.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
I forgot to mention I use SwiftKey as my phone's keyboard. (It learns your usual language patterns and will eventually pop up appropriate suggestions. If you're billingual you can have two dictionaries active at a time instead of having to swap dictionaries.)

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Mutherfuckin REALCALC. Do that math, scientifically. Also, BRIGHTEST FLASHLIGHT and STEAM.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm still working on what apps I'll keep so I don't bloat up my Galaxy like a damm n00b, but there's so much NEAT STUFF.

So far, I have the "stock" apps for Twitter (crap), Skype, Facebook (also crap), Tumblr, Dropbox (came with the phone), Firefox, both Opera Mini and Mobile (with both synced to my home computer, but the syncing process somehow mangled my bookmark folder).

All the Google map flavors: Google Maps, Google Earth, My Tracks, Navigation, Latitude, and Google Sky Maps (What an AWESOME app! We live in an age of wonders! If I had known about this app earlier, I would've bought a smartphone years ago...), as well as; Google Translate and Japanese IME.

For my hobbies I have: the NASA news app, the NASA space weather app, Astro Tools all-sky-atlas (I wish I could link this with Google Sky), Astro Panel "seeing" forecaster, HamSatDroid orbital-pass predictor, Astrofoto Calculator, Helicon (DSLR camera) Remote control, Ham (radio) Tools, NCDXF (radio) beacon reporting app, Echolink (SRS BSNS ham packet-radio), the IRLP finder (callsign locator and database), plus Morse CT (tutor), and Morse Code Keyboard player/receiver.

News and Info I have : the Weather Channel, Weather Underground, Flipbook (came with the phone), NHK International live-viewer, RT International live-viewer, and Al Jazeera English live-viewer.

Based on suggestions here, I'll try: RealCalc, Evernote, Barcodescanner, Where's My Droid, STEAM ...oh and Crazy Tilt Arcade Challenge by Zeljko Aksentijevic

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't.

Edit:

Maybe to use a tv out. And download speed for that kind of stream wouldn't be too bad if you have 4g LTE, or on a wifi.