Just got my DSi

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
So far so good. It's a little more comfortable to hold, the camera was fun to mess around with, the buttons feel a little better. I only played DQ5, so I can't really say how much better the dpad is for diagonals at this point, but it felt comparable.

I tried playing Wario, but it had trouble recognizing my skin tone vs the backround, so that kind of sucked. I'll have to try again in better light.

I wish they had more games in the store. The only games that looked any good were Wario (500pts) and Brain Age (800pts). Early adopters get 1000 free points.

The larger screens actually might be one of it's best features over the lite. The size does make a difference and it has 5 brightness settings and seems to have a good refresh rate (maybe comparible to the japanese launch ds lite).

The fact that it won't play gba doesn't bother me as I have 2 lites an sp and a micro.

I'll screw around with it some more and maybe post some more impressions.

** Now that I've done some more vigorous gaming on it I'd have to say the dpad is leagues better then the one on the lite. It's more responsive and kind of clicky. Imagine a hybrid between the gba and dslite dpads.

I also like the fact that there is finally a battery life indicator in the menu.

Last edited:

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Yeah Im very happy with mine as well, got it for £130 tax free. Like the matt black finish, buttons are alot better, better power/volume buttons rather than the sliders. The software is cool and yup the screens do make a big difference, well nintendo had to make em a little bigger to compare with the psp. Anyway im just waiting for my R4i and my 8 gig card then its portable Neo-Geo and about 100 games on the move for me :-)

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Sounds good guys. I'm planning on getting one of these some time this summer. I have a DS fatty, and it's fine, but I wouldn't mind getting an upgrade, and the DLC intrigues me. Plus, amazingly enough, I don't own a digital camera... Though I doubt the one on the DSi will be useful at all (how would one export photos..?).

Anyways. Glad to hear the dpad and the buttons are better than the Lite's, anyways. The ones on the DS fatty are good too, so I'd hate it if they were somehow worse on the new model.

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
isn't the screen size a quarter of an inch bigger from the Lite? How could that be even noticeable? How are the trigger buttons? I can't stand the trigger buttons on the DS for games that require it.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
DSi

I picked one up today for the girlfriend as her DS was falling to bits (cracked hinge) had a quick play around and did the updates and downloaded the browser, the Opera browser is much faster than the DS version and free.

The screen looks a lot bigger even if it is just a few mm's, the clicky buttons feel a lot more soild.

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
Was this released in the US today? I'd like to get one of these babies. I had a FatDS a while back and made the mistake of selling it. Such a great little system.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
Just to answer a few questions.........

Q: I don't own a digital camera... Though I doubt the one on the DSi will be useful at all (how would one export photos..?).

A:You can export the images from the sd card. The camera is a fun little toy, but would be pitiful to use as a digital camera.

Q:isn't the screen size a quarter of an inch bigger from the Lite? How could that be even noticeable?

A:It doesn't sound like a lot, but it is pretty noticable on a handheld. Especially if you play a lot of DS.

Q:How are the trigger buttons?

A:The trigger buttons on the lite are flush to the system and just sort of click when pushed. The shoulder buttons on the DSi stick out and actually feel like buttons.

It's also worth noting that the menu is much different.

As far as dlc goes I downloaded Wario and Bird & Beans. If I had actually paid for either of these I'd have been super pissed. I'm not impressed with the initial dlc at all. Even Opera sucks, especially compared to my ipod touch.

For most people who have DS lite systems there is no real reason to upgrade right now. I do think it's a much better system then the light but we need some killer dlc before I can strongly recommend upgrading.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I picked mine up sunday afternoon. After taking an hour to charge to full I played around with it for most of the night.

Things I like...

+The coarser casing. The ds lite's slick, ipod-like outer shell made the system slip in my fingers if I had the slightest moisture on my fingers. This new model feels like skateboard grip; very unusual feeling...at first.

+Adjustable brightness levels while playing.

+The power button's stiffness and position. No worries of your thumb slipping off the d-pad and accidentally powering down your ds-i, it takes a good three seconds of holding down the power button for shutdown.

+Larger screen, crisper audio speakers and the volume controls.

+D-pad and face buttons click, instead of being mushy.

Things I don't like...

-Shoulder buttons have been narrowed. I thought they were fine before.

-Very few DSi-store choices. If they add some NES classics for download in the future (Punch-Out, Metroid, please oh fucking please Shadowgate or Deja Vu), I could see myself being suckered into buying a few of them.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Got mine yesterday, as well. Had a GS coupon to get $100 trade-in credit for my DS, and had my reserve $25 down, so I only needed another $45 out of pocket.

Also finally picked up Dragon Quest V to go with it.

Very nice so far, screen size really is pleasant.

Now if I could only find a freaking copy of Tokyo Beat Down somewhere...:envy:

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Got mine yesterday, as well. Had a GS coupon to get $100 trade-in credit for my DS, and had my reserve $25 down, so I only needed another $45 out of pocket.

Also finally picked up Dragon Quest V to go with it.

Very nice so far, screen size really is pleasant.

Now if I could only find a freaking copy of Tokyo Beat Down somewhere...:envy:

Where did you get that coupon? My girlfriend is thinking about trading in her Lite.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Where did you get that coupon? My girlfriend is thinking about trading in her Lite.

Surprised the hell out of me- I went to trade in my Lite the day before, expecting to get $70 per the widely advertised deal. Dude behind the counter at GS says "um, hold off for now..." and starts to shuffle around in the drawer, pulls out a stack of them, hands me one, and reads on the computer, says, yep, those aren't good until tomorrow, they expire on the 7th [April?], we're one of only two stores in all of Colorado that got them, supposed to be very selective about them, you're in here all the time so I suppose you should probably have one.

So yeah, if he's right, only that store and one other (probably Park Meadows) in all of CO got them (this store consistently does massive sales numbers, I've heard their DM confirming it), and I have no idea what the criteria are for giving the coupons out.

Just know that was a hell of a deal on my end when I went back yesterday. :emb:

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Surprised the hell out of me- I went to trade in my Lite the day before, expecting to get $70 per the widely advertised deal. Dude behind the counter at GS says "um, hold off for now..." and starts to shuffle around in the drawer, pulls out a stack of them, hands me one, and reads on the computer, says, yep, those aren't good until tomorrow, they expire on the 7th [April?], we're one of only two stores in all of Colorado that got them, supposed to be very selective about them, you're in here all the time so I suppose you should probably have one.

So yeah, if he's right, only that store and one other (probably Park Meadows) in all of CO got them (this store consistently does massive sales numbers, I've heard their DM confirming it), and I have no idea what the criteria are for giving the coupons out.

Just know that was a hell of a deal on my end when I went back yesterday. :emb:

Considering you've spent more money there than I've made in my life, I'd say they owe you.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Considering you've spent more money there than I've made in my life, I'd say they owe you.

They also throw in blowjobs from the seasonals come the winter months, too bad they never hire any girls.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I will be adopting one of these in the near future, I'm just not in a huge hurry.

The matte finish pleases me to no end. I fucking hate glossy handhelds, and I had to buy a glove-type casing (made by Hori) to cover my DS Lite. The fingerprints drive me nuts.

Also, my daughter has been playing the hell out of my Lite, so maybe it would be a good time for me to get an upgrade. Then I wouldn't have to worry about hunting around the house for the DS when I want to play a game, and finding the unit with a dead battery.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Sweet, I found a copy of Tokyo Beat Down, apparently all the GS's got them in yesterday, if anyone else is looking for one.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Hurrah, now all we need is something worth playing I haven't already been through.