KENJU FOR ATOMISWAVE! UNRELEASED GAME RECOVERED!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Video can only go so far as can pictures to make things look more cool or less cool than they are, but it does look like it could have been entertaining, interesting at the least. I'd just say be surprised and happy someone recovered and shared this.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Looks pretty good for a 3d fighter, graphics are nice for the time.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I like the charas from the attract mode: Tizoc, Grant, Mr. Big and... lolifoxgirl. So, who's ShowTime?

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
I really hope the Chinese ali baba bootleggers get a hold of this to make boots. I hate and love saying this.

They won't. Think about it, how many will they actually sell? The first hundred might go quickly, but anything after that will be like molasses. Just like anyone else, they like fast cash.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I really hope the Chinese ali baba bootleggers get a hold of this to make boots. I hate and love saying this.

Would that even be possible? The game does look far along but would it be fully playable?
(maybe I missed that info at the source, got two kids jumping around here ^^)

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Looks pretty cool. i always love to see unreleased games. Anyone else see that fake ass Batsu and T. hawk?

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I'd pay much more than AW boot price for a nice looking cart of this, and a few others that didn't get released. I think these would sell to AW players/collectors in the $130-150 range, not $30. There is money here if someone wants to take on the work. People already pay that range (and more) for purely novelty games on AW hardware.

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
Would that even be possible? The game does look far along but would it be fully playable?
(maybe I missed that info at the source, got two kids jumping around here ^^)

Supposedly it's pretty much done. I'd pay even for a prototype bootleg honestly. It's beyond novelty for most of us here.

I'd pay much more than AW boot price for a nice looking cart of this, and a few others that didn't get released. I think these would sell to AW players/collectors in the $130-150 range, not $30. There is money here if someone wants to take on the work. People already pay that range (and more) for purely novelty games on AW hardware.

Agreed! It'd make the atomiswave feel more "complete". We all wish it had a larger library. I mean.. of the games we got...awesome games. Just need more!

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
They won't. Think about it, how many will they actually sell? The first hundred might go quickly, but anything after that will be like molasses. Just like anyone else, they like fast cash.

Could be but they did it for The Rumble Fish 2. I'm sure they'd make enough/decent profit just from this forum alone. Now if someone could make a high quality boot with great components that'll be better. sell it at a higher price with a nice case and we'd all be buying a copy.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
The part that boggles the mind is that these hacker guys take the time to figure out how to get these games (like recently with Sushi Bar) to run on hacked up Naomi carts, but don't bother to get them onto the fucking platform they were made for and intended to be for; the Atomiswave. I mean, what gives? I agree, fuck $150, I'd pay $300+ for an actual physical cartridge that plays where it was intended to play, on the Atomiswave.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I think Sushi Bar is available on NAOMI because sac carts can be had for cheap. However I don't see why the Chinese warezers making the bootleg MS6 carts and such can't just burn the Sushi Bar ROMs to flash chips and sell those carts. The initial cost of the cart shell molding and PCBs is already done. Paying an 8 year old 17 cents an hour to work a rework station to solder the flash chips shouldn't be much additional cost.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
People are making NAOMI carts of sushi bar already? I'm just netbooting the converted rom.

madman

People are making NAOMI carts of sushi bar already? I'm just netbooting the converted rom.

Yeah that arcade bios guy or whatever. His pricing is stupid however. There shouldn't be any reason someone with a reflow station and ability to flash the correct chips can't make these unless there's some magic about the Atomiswave carts I'm not aware of.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
The part that boggles the mind is that these hacker guys take the time to figure out how to get these games (like recently with Sushi Bar) to run on hacked up Naomi carts, but don't bother to get them onto the fucking platform they were made for and intended to be for; the Atomiswave. I mean, what gives? I agree, fuck $150, I'd pay $300+ for an actual physical cartridge that plays where it was intended to play, on the Atomiswave.

You're a hipster bootlegger.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Another mediocre fighter that will command obscene bootleg prices based on it being a "great lost game" by aging collectors starved for anything of consequence.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Yeah that arcade bios guy or whatever. His pricing is stupid however. There shouldn't be any reason someone with a reflow station and ability to flash the correct chips can't make these unless there's some magic about the Atomiswave carts I'm not aware of.

Oh Arcade mod bios, the king of selling other peoples work for profit. He's like the STV of bootlegs.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member

Wait a second, finally I hear something promising here.
So let me see if we got this straight here.

1) We already know that it is possible to build a device that allows us to read the data off the flash roms on the Proto carts without having to desolder them and risk damaging them.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=349484&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

2) We now know that both Kenju and Force Five are secured and safely in the hands of Shou, whereby finally securing & confirming all 5 known Atomiswave protos. (Sushi Bar was just recently done) and (Chicago 1929 & Premiere Eleven are both within known access as well)

3) We have access to literally dozens (perhaps hundreds) of Atomiswave donor cartridges, by simply buying stack loads of them from the Ali baba sources.

So......

Are we saying that it is possible to purchase bootleg carts. (After figuring out which are the suitable donors of course) desolder the flash chips, solder in replacements with the data from these 5 games, and therefore build / create our own playable carts of these games that can be used on our Atomiswave?

Is it really that simple? Because if it is, let's do this. We can do it working together.

madman

Don't quote me on that, I just read through the NAOMI driver code for MAME, there is a CPLD chip on each Atomiswave cart and it looks like there is some sort of protection. On some of the later games the same decryption key is used for all games. Does anyone have PCB scans of a bootleg Atomiswave cart? Obviously if the ROMs are running on NAOMI hardware via "conversions" then it's possible to run them without the decryption/protection chips. I remember seeing pages where you can download the converted Atomiswave ROMs, but I don't recall the details of how they got those working on the NAOMI without the CPLD for protection. That may hold the key.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member

1) We already know that it is possible to build a device that allows us to read the data off the flash roms on the Proto carts without having to desolder them and risk damaging them.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=349484&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

2) We now know that both Kenju and Force Five are secured and safely in the hands of Shou, whereby finally securing & confirming all 5 known Atomiswave protos. (Sushi Bar was just recently done) and (Chicago 1929 & Premiere Eleven are both within known access as well)

3) We have access to literally dozens (perhaps hundreds) of Atomiswave donor cartridges, by simply buying stack loads of them from the Ali baba sources.

So......

Are we saying that it is possible to purchase bootleg carts. (After figuring out which are the suitable donors of course) desolder the flash chips, solder in replacements with the data from these 5 games, and therefore build / create our own playable carts of these games that can be used on our Atomiswave?

Is it really that simple? Because if it is, let's do this. We can do it working together.

If we got crossed swords 2 in 2015 on mvs and aes..... anything is possible!

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Saw this on SRK earlier today. Looks like Project Justice level visuals (which is to say pretty good looking for sure). Even some of the setups look like Rival Schools systems (vertical launcher's look identical). I don't have a AW motherboard yet but when I do hopefully someone will have dumped it or started making boots. Idk about the price tags though, sure you could command $300 but why not cheaper if it plays perfectly regardless of cost guys?

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
So......

Wow, gotta say, this is amazing hearing this from you since you own Chicago 1929. Weren't you willing to hold onto it in exchange for a Neo Geo prototype? Well, Neoturfmasta found one back in April.

If you're willing to do something about releasing your cart, I'm all for it. But, don't be a dick-tease about it: Put up or shut up. Get something done and give back to the community.

...I say that but, I know the real reason you even suggested this is because you want to get your hands on the AW prototypes you don't have.

Jon

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Wow, gotta say, this is amazing hearing this from you since you own Chicago 1929. Weren't you willing to hold onto it in exchange for a Neo Geo prototype? Well, Neoturfmasta found one back in April.

If you're willing to do something about releasing your cart, I'm all for it. But, don't be a dick-tease about it: Put up or shut up. Get something done and give back to the community.

...I say that but, I know the real reason you even suggested this is because you want to get your hands on the AW prototypes you don't have.

Jon

I can appreciate what your saying. And no, I wouldn't tease about this.
I gave Chicago 1929 longer then it even commanded (time wise) for it to try and conjure up a trade opportunity. I'm throwing in the towel. It was absolutely worth a shot, and that's that, but I'm ready to move on. I'm ready & willing to release the rom to the community. Only one obstacle remains.

What I require as a stipulation is to have the system in place for which the process can be achieved & the objective be fulfilled of the game being made available as a 100% fully functioning & normal plug in cartridge, available for all to build and/or buy for the system. (and the same applied to the other 4 protos).

So yes, I am all in, 100% available and ready to move forward once we get the others involved here to agree to this as well. (I don't see any reason why they wouldn't)

Last edited:

Shou-sama

Armored Scrum,
I am ShouTime. I have 3 of the 5 AW protos.

Billy, I know you have Chicago 1929. Let's all share and work together. It's taken me 4 years to get Kenju to the masses. I have tons of arcade protos that I have acquired for preservation and more are coming including a couple of Neo games that aren't out there. Take a look at my tumblr to see the stuff I have already uncovered.

The reason why AW carts aren't used to make repros is that there is security on the carts that people outside of the bootleggers haven't figured out yet.

So......