SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Got my copy
DSC06809.jpg

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
played against someone who had the DLC Iori, which I wasn't aware was available in the US. :-/ I hating.

I believe he came as a preorder bonus for the Japanese version.

He won't be available in the US until early December.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I believe he came as a preorder bonus for the Japanese version.

He won't be available in the US until early December.

I guess that makes sense. I don't mind not having him, but I know he would be part of my main team if I had him.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I know IGN is the last place I would go for a fighting game review, and that 7 is not a bad score, but compare the element scores in their reviews:

lol_ign_s.jpg

What is this tripe? 6.5 {Presentation} score? For some of the games, {Presentation} score is based on the menus; some games, the story?!? XIII has great menus yo.

...& they dock points for PIXILATED gfx?!? SPRITE ART ON PURPOSE, DOOD. We aren't talking Morrigan in MvC2, fcol. This game is well built. No shoe horn-ing here.

I for one think XIII beautiful, & I'm glad it doesn't look like a Flash animation.

This game is a love letter, that frankly...frankly I didn't think SNKP was capable of writing.

kshira

Crazed MVS Addict
I wish IGN had this game reviewed by someone who wasn't so far up Capcom's ass.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Holy shit IGN. What a bunch of fuckin fanboys.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I wish IGN had this game reviewed by someone who wasn't so far up Capcom's ass.

I'd agree, but he gave Blazblue good marks, too.

The truth of the matter is what Wataru said:

The criteria that he uses to review each game's categories is different based on the game. I'll give an example of what I mean based on the dubious 'presentation.'

Street Fighter III's 'story' makes any more goddamn sense?

Marvel vs. Capcom 3's!?!??!

Like anyone in the Capcom cast can survive a hit from Hulk or Thor? How is that 'good storytelling?'

Guess since it's fan service, it's okay to have a bullshit story but if KOF has a story that's 'hard to follow', that's the game's fault, not his for being a shitty reviewer.

Also, if we're going to talk interface and menus, SF III Online's interface and menus aren't anything special. In fact, I'd say the fact that it's all layered menus just makes it all confusing and sorta shitty. And let's not get started on Blazblue's interface, which is the worst thing about that game. MvC 3's interface is attractive and colorful and shows a lot of character and spirit but it still feels cluttered and distracting with all the movement of the GUI elements, so it's nice but it's not perfect. But KOF XII's is clean, easy to understand and attractive without being overwrought. I can see how it might come off as 'plain' by comparison, but how does that make it bad or instantly subject it to criticism?

I generally respect game reviewers, but only when they actually fucking review the game.

The IGN comparison posted here is shit. If KOF XIII isn't good, it's not for the reasons he's cited.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I read the review of the game on IGN just now and really, the only umbrage people should have is to the numbers being lower than those in UMvC3.

The online _can_ be a pain in the ass if you want to do ranked fights. If you create a ranked room, then any bozo with a terrible connecction can join and make your life hell. If you want to look for open rooms with good connection, good luck. None are available. Ever. It's not as bad in the unranked mode. You can actually boot people with shitty connections. But still, ranked mode needs to mean something if they put in there.

The music is not really that great. The rock tracks are indeed cheesy. I won't say UMvC3 was better, because it's actually a terrible game. But I won't give KoFXIII any slack here. The music is lame. Annoying even. But you can turn down the music and leave the other sounds on, and play something good in the background, so it's not a gamekiller.

Graphics are great. Beautiful. Everyone already knew that.

Story, eh, I grew up with KoF. I have read all of Shito's posts in English. I know the story. But for someone who is used to being on IGN, I can understand that KoF is like a foreign language.

The missions are pretty hard. Maybe my tournament stick is making it harder. Not sure. But it's cool that it exists. I'm glad.

In all, the game is worth getting. Fuck ranked online mode. The alternate costumes for Kyo, Elizabeth, Yuri, Andy, Joe, Raiden and Takuma are all welcome extras that increase the cool factor. No buyers remorse today.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
when you select a character and get the color select screen, click the select button and the alternate costume will appear.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
I'd agree, but he gave Blazblue good marks, too.

He sure did however Arc System Works isn't Capcom's Rival. Almost every hardcore Capcom fan I know has this slight dislike of SNK games due to the 2 companies being longtime rivals. Whenever they speak about an SNK game they always have to nitpick the silliest little things in an effort to make the games seem so inferior to Capcom games.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Man seriously fuck IGN on that one or at least whoever reviewed the game! The guy can't even decide what criteria he wants to judge fighting games by. What type of shit is that.

Oh and fuck Amazon for shipping my preorder today and telling me it won't be at my house until the end of the month. I thought Amazon was supposed at least try to ship your game out early so it reaches it's destination AROUND the time the game comes out. Not a goddamn week later. ugh....

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Eh, I like cheesy KOF music. I won't say it's among the top KOF soundtracks, but I think XIII's music is pretty good. Pretty good for what I want KOF music to be. But then, I've been able to find at least one or two tracks I've liked in just about every KOF to date. And I think this soundtrack fits alongside those from the classic SNK-era series well enough -- and much better than the soundtracks from most of the previous SNKP KOF entries. Better than '03 for whatever little that's worth. Better than '02, which again means nearly nothing. '01 has it's own charm for me, but I wouldn't go too crazy trying to defend it. XI had its ups and downs; some good stuff, some eh.

So yeah, if the series went from '99 to 2000 then straight to XIII, I would agree that this soundtrack took a step backwards. But considering the games in between, I think we've been on an upswing.

On a related note, to the people who have been hyper-critical of SNKP all this time and who have felt the company should have died gracefully with classic SNK in 2000, does this game change your mind? Do you enjoy this game enough -- does it seem solid enough both technically and aesthetically -- to make the wilderness years feel like they were worth it?

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
I agree with STK on the soundtrack.

I never wanted them to die and being that they didn't this game is a godsend to me. It's 100% exactly what I wanted from a KOF game. Shit I was happy with KOF 12(yeah I know I'm alone on that one).

p.s. Whenever SouthtownKid makes a post does anybody hear the song "In spite of one's age" from KOF 98 in the back of their heads? No? Yeah it's probably just me.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
p.s. Whenever SouthtownKid makes a post does anybody hear the song "In spite of one's age" from KOF 98 in the back of their heads?
You know you're a nerd when you can name the tracks. Which one is that?

By the way, this is the one I was kind of whistling to myself while typing the soundtrack post:

(sorry I don't know the name of the track) :emb:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ok, I guess I might not be in the majority saying that I don't like the soundtrack. I do like the gameplay though, and the graphics are great. I am sure that for some stupid price, playmore will let you download better retro tracks, in the future.

As for wishing SNK would have died, yes, guilty right here. I think playmore has done things right with this game though. It's a lot better than that other crap from 2002 onwards.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow! Quick question to those who've picked it up already: are the characters as pixelated as the were in XII? It looked like they blew up the sprites in that one and it bugged me since all the previews at the time made the graphics out to be really clean.