Learning to play Warcraft 3

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Hi guys,

I know I'm completely outdated but I recently completely got sucked in Warcraft 3 after i took it some weeks ago. I actually wanted a pretty not-so-new game that could run finely on my small-RAM eee-pc so I decided to take W3.

Fact is that I don't know any shortcuts or patterns for that game, I play this game only with a mouse. As I would like to become efficient at this game, could you give me a link for some great tutorial sites ?

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Hire a Korean teenager to train you. You will become unstoppable.

It can be difficult to find a Korean WC3 grandmaster though, most of them specialize in Starcraft.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Pick a race and stick to it.
Learn the keyboard shortcuts for that race.

Don't ever build anything by clicking on the button.
Don't ever activate a special ability by clicking on it.
Use the keyboard shortcuts.

Use Control Groups for your Units.

I even add certain buildings to my control groups, I usually set a race's barracks (infantry producing building) to numerical key "0" - and again, I know the shortcuts to produce the relevant units.

RTS's are really just an exercise in resource management. So you'll need to make sure you're getting enough resources and expanding at a decent rate.

Oh, also:

Learn the keyboard shortcuts.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Playing online?

1. Creep
2. Creep
3. Creep
4. Don't let your hero die..

Three level 10 Human Heroes can take on any army.

RTS's are really just an exercise in resource management. So you'll need to make sure you're getting enough resources and expanding at a decent rate.

Not so much War3.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Nope, no online game but thanks for the replies. I just want to be efficient, not a killer. But then again I need to learn how to manage the shortcuts issue. Thanks Lagduf for the tips, I'll try not to use the icons but only the shortcuts. ;)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Playing online?

1. Creep
2. Creep
3. Creep
4. Don't let your hero die..

Three level 10 Human Heroes can take on any army.

Not so much War3.

Managing your hero is a big part of Warcraft 3.

It's one aspect of the game I didn't actually like.

I don't like games with single uber units.

I'd prefer if my RTS focused on multitudes of regular troops, where my victory is dependant on use of combined arms tactics, rather than using a stupid heroe's special ability at the right time. I was never certain if the heroes abilities were balanced against each other, or rather it seemed that not all heroes were created equal.

Granted that everyone has a hero, yes. It's just an aspect I didn't like.

Don't forget to learn the shortcuts for the heroes you plan to use (they're on the function keys I believe) and the shortctuts for their powers.

When I played Warcraft 3 I played Orcs.

I dug the storyline for the Orcs in Warcraft 3 and was pleased to see they weren't the "bad guys" though obviously the Humans and Elves don't see eye to eye with the Orcs, in part due to the Orc's past in Azeroth (see War 1 and War 2).

While Starcraft2 undoubtedly will be awesome. I'd rather see Warcraft 4.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'd prefer if my RTS focused on multitudes of regular troops, where my victory is dependant on use of combined arms tactics, rather than using a stupid heroe's special ability at the right time. I was never certain if the heroes abilities were balanced against each other, or rather it seemed that not all heroes were created equal..

Each hero has so many +'s and -'s. It all depends on the strategy. And you really need 2 or three heroes to win. I'd say that as a whole, the heroes are pretty well balanced....

Really, what War3 comes down to is the mixing and matching of units... And the ability to quickly switch from one strategy to another.

I really like the relatively small population cap and tax in Warcraft 3. The big armies of Starcraft gets a bit boring.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I did like the small armies, I just didn't really care for the heroes in multiplayer. In Single Player they were fine.

I did like that they sort of brought an RPGesque element to the game, but I guess I never got a hold of balancing upgrading my hero through exploration and also managing my base during that early phase of the game.

I guess I never developed a potent anti-hero strategy.

I also didn't feel it was viable to win WITHOUT a hero (or two or three).

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I did like the small armies, I just didn't really care for the heroes in multiplayer. In Single Player they were fine.

I did like that they sort of brought an RPGesque element to the game, but I guess I never got a hold of balancing upgrading my hero through exploration and also managing my base during that early phase of the game.

I guess I never developed a potent anti-hero strategy.

I also didn't feel it was viable to win WITHOUT a hero (or two or three).

The other big advantage to creeping early is that you get a good chunk of gold from it. And Items.... Some items are early game breakers.

It's like 1/3 of your early revenue.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Is there really a place in WoW called Bleeding Hollow? Thats kind of gross.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Hi guys,

I know I'm completely outdated but I recently completely got sucked in Warcraft 3 after i took it some weeks ago. I actually wanted a pretty not-so-new game that could run finely on my small-RAM eee-pc so I decided to take W3.

Fact is that I don't know any shortcuts or patterns for that game, I play this game only with a mouse. As I would like to become efficient at this game, could you give me a link for some great tutorial sites ?

play the campaign mode, its good easy practice. Then do some PC matches. The A.I. is pretty challenging, but if you stall long enough they for some reason just stop doing anything.

But yea, pick a race that fits your style and practice thats all you can really do for an RTS.

and congrats for picking up such an amazing title.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
play the campaign mode, its good easy practice. Then do some PC matches. The A.I. is pretty challenging, but if you stall long enough they for some reason just stop doing anything.

But yea, pick a race that fits your style and practice thats all you can really do for an RTS.

and congrats for picking up such an amazing title.

I usually play the campign first to learn the tech tree for each race, then as you said start out playing the computer on progressively higher difficulty levels.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I usually play the campign first to learn the tech tree for each race, then as you said start out playing the computer on progressively higher difficulty levels.

Likewise.
Haven't played in a while (and was never anything amazing), but I played undead, was the only race I really enjoyed although some of the units were rather awful. I could play humans a bit too. give me night elves and it was just a total mess.

Although I may get flack for this, but also try DoTA which is a game made from Warcraft 3, its pretty fun.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
oh man, DoTA is fucking AWESOME.

and i really liked the single player WC3, but i'm one of those people that actually kinda cares about a storyline in a game.
plus in any multiplayer RTS, i usually lose.
i focus too much on defence.

and was kinda pissed that i could never beat the last level of the expansion though.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
and i really liked the single player WC3, but i'm one of those people that actually kinda cares about a storyline in a game.
plus in any multiplayer RTS, i usually lose.

This pretty much describes me too.

I love playing RTS against my friends though. But the time commitment for a single game is generally too much when you're talking about playing online. Thats why I play more FPS online than RTS.