LED minimarquee lighting - PROTOTYPE FORTHCOMING

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
For myself, I'm not going to go with your solution for this cab - not because I'm a purist (heck, my cab's beat and I'm thinking of painting it blue instead of replacing the woodgrain when I fix it!), but more because I'm lazy - I want a minimum-work solution, and getting that piece out (or cutting it where it sits) and then putting it all back seems like something that will never get completed. If I had one of the bigger cabs where it was just 'pop the board out', I'd surely go for it.

I'm gonna to work on some other possibilities for these unfortunate situations where the LED panel won't quite do it.

Thanks!

No worries. I can totally relate, lol.

Given that there's only three different cabinets effected by this issue, there's no reason I couldn't make the replacement part for those who don't want to do it themselves, as an added service.

Afterall, my original designs involved building the units INTO replacements for those boards. :)

I'll look into it after things are rolling.

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Okay, there is no profanity in English (Or Japanese, for that matter) which sufficiently expresses how fed up I am with my computer problems.

:very_ang: :mad: :very_ang: :mad: :very_ang: :mad: :very_ang: :mad: :very_ang: :mad: :very_ang: :mad: :very_ang: :mad: :very_ang: :mad: :very_ang: :mad: :very_ang: :mad: :very_ang: :mad: :very_ang:

Got the motherboard back, got thermal compound, proceeded to install everything... Board wouldn't power on. Something in the pre-power self-test was preventing the board from powering on. Which pretty much means a memory or CPU fault. It's the CPU, of course. And I don't want to go into why I know that. :oh_no:

So now I'm stuck with buying a new processor, on top of many other problems and general drama. :(

Don't worry though, I will persevere! (I don't need food, after all. :crying:)

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Well, I'm still alive.

I bought a new CPU. I put it in the motherboard. It still didn't work.

Turns out the motherboard they sent me when I RMA'd mine was defective. (It took them two weeks to send me a DIFFERENT board-- not repair mine, mind you --AND it was still defective?!)

So I had to buy a new motherboard, because I am NOT going to wait another three weeks for them to unf**k all this.

Bad news:
I've lost a whole month that I could have spent working.
I'm out $400, and I still have to send the old motherboard back and yell at people.
Bills have been piling up the whole time.
Even after everything was squared away, I still had to reinstall windows.

Good news:
I can get back to work now, or at least very soon.
I effectively have a brand new computer, and it is very nice.
My electricity hasn't been shut off. (Yet.)

Let us know, we are with you.

Well, I'm still alive.

I bought a new CPU. I put it in the motherboard. It still didn't work.

Turns out the motherboard they sent me when I RMA'd mine was defective. (It took them two weeks to send me a DIFFERENT board-- not repair mine, mind you --AND it was still defective?!)

So I had to buy a new motherboard, because I am NOT going to wait another three weeks for them to unf**k all this.

Bad news:
I've lost a whole month that I could have spent working.
I'm out $400, and I still have to send the old motherboard back and yell at people.
Bills have been piling up the whole time.
Even after everything was squared away, I still had to reinstall windows.

Good news:
I can get back to work now, or at least very soon.
I effectively have a brand new computer, and it is very nice.
My electricity hasn't been shut off. (Yet.)

I finally caught up to the development on this project and like over a 6 weeks of no posts... I'm starting to worry for you. I hope all is ok.

does anyone actually know thebakachan to see if he's alive and even has power on? I hope he's not homeless now.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
I'm interested in this. I had an idea a while back for my consolized 2 slot where there would be a LED next to each slot and it would be lit depending on which game was running. I was told I'd need to hack an official EL panel to do it somehow.

But you've already got a functional prototype with a single LED, exactly what I was looking for.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Oh noes. The toxic gas produced from all that semiconductor etching must have taken its toll.

mhkohne

n00b
10 Year Member
I'm interested in this. I had an idea a while back for my consolized 2 slot where there would be a LED next to each slot and it would be lit depending on which game was running. I was told I'd need to hack an official EL panel to do it somehow.

But you've already got a functional prototype with a single LED, exactly what I was looking for.

TheBakachan posted a schematic (or a link) earlier in the thread. Basically he reverse engineered the EL control board to figure out how it worked. It's not particularly complex, and I even implemented the same thing in a low-end PIC microcontroller for a project I'm doing (I've got a gold 2-slot, and TheBakachan's solution isn't going to work for me without some cutting that I don't want to do). If you want schematics of the original solution, look upwards in this thread, if you want mine, just say something and I'll post them and the PIC code.

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Wow, sorry for the lack of communication, folks. Everything's been so screwed up after the computer thing, and then some really serious income problems compounded what was already pretty much a personal financial crisis, I'm just now getting back to about where I was before my computer self-destructed.

I would have posted more updates in the intervening period but obviously there's been no real progress to post about, and honestly I've gotten sick of repeatedly making posts saying "I'll have something to show soon." and didn't want to post again until I really did.

Anyway, I'm back to where I was before; almost ready to show off the finished prototype and start taking preorders.

@FA-MAS: Once I have everything straightened out, I think I might be able to help you with a solution for that, it'd be really straightforward.

I have a Tall boy that I'm restoring and have been waiting on this project to really complete it and or figure out what I want to do with the Marquees.

Thanks for the update. I for one would be throwing down money for a pre-order.

Any updates? I need to get my MVS 4-slot in order please.

Wow, sorry for the lack of communication, folks. Everything's been so screwed up after the computer thing, and then some really serious income problems compounded what was already pretty much a personal financial crisis, I'm just now getting back to about where I was before my computer self-destructed.

I would have posted more updates in the intervening period but obviously there's been no real progress to post about, and honestly I've gotten sick of repeatedly making posts saying "I'll have something to show soon." and didn't want to post again until I really did.

Anyway, I'm back to where I was before; almost ready to show off the finished prototype and start taking preorders.

@FA-MAS: Once I have everything straightened out, I think I might be able to help you with a solution for that, it'd be really straightforward.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
I too have a big red 4slot I need to fix up. What is the expected price range for a preorder?

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I'm still interested over here too. Any updates?

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Sorry, everybody. Life-stuff has been screwing up my ability to fund the making of a proper prototype. (It does seem to like doing that...) It isn't monopolizing my time however, so I've been able to do a lot of thinking and whatever tinkering I could do with what I have already. (Including two possible solutions for making an LED unit thin enough for any cabinet.)

I had wanted to have a working prototype more representative of the final product to show before I started taking preorders to pay for the production... But that isn't looking very practical right now and I want to get this thing done and get them out to people to put in their cabinets.

I think two or three people so far have said they might be interested in putting down money up-front for this (Most recently, Prairiedillo) and I had hoped it wouldn't come to that, but I had also hoped I would have been able to fund production myself and get the things out in just a couple months.

So, here goes...
Anyone who wants to put down a preorder, PM me.

The prices are as follows:
$150 for 2-slot
$200 for 4-slot
$250 for 6-slot

And I need 3-4 preorders to get the PCBs made and order the parts for the preorder boards.

This will include the light units, controller, and everything you need to install it. Note: If you don't have the cable that goes from the MVS main board to the EL transformer board, tell me and I'll see what I can do!

If you have a Big Red, installation should only take a couple of minutes. It attaches to the back of the marquee with velcro, and will be a completely reversible and non-destructive installation, though you will have to remove the board behind the marquee. (Which you would need to do anyway to get to the cable you need to hook it up.)

Owners of other cabinets will either have to modify their cabinet slightly (By cutting clearance into the wood behind the marquee) or wait until I come up with the slimmer backlight.

It will take as much as 4 weeks to get the PCBs back, at most a week to assemble and test them, then they'll be ready to ship. While I'm waiting for the PCBs to arrive, I can get the rest of the components made and tested. So, figure at most 6-8 weeks-- considering the possibility of backordered components --from the time I have the preorders I need.

I'll understand if some of you want to wait until you see the final version of the hardware, but as long as I get the couple preorders I need to cover the tooling costs for the PCBs, I can start production.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Bangin!

It's good to see a project for MVS EL replacements finaly coming through.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I am 100% in pending a working prototype. I realise you are looking for advance preorders, but i just want to know excactly im getting myself into. I look forward to seeing what is coming.

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'm happy to report that I have one paid preorder so far! (Already!!) Just 2-3 more to go to cover the tooling costs. :D

I am 100% in pending a working prototype. I realise you are looking for advance preorders, but i just want to know excactly im getting myself into. I look forward to seeing what is coming.

I totally understand. :) If you've been following this thread, you've already seen how well my first crude attempts worked, I think you'll be quite pleased when I post pictures of the first production units when the time comes. I look forward to hearing what you think!

And thank you all for your interest and your support of this project!

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
so are the prototypes going to be the same as the final product?