LED minimarquee lighting - PROTOTYPE FORTHCOMING

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
is there an alternative that involves people getting refunded? I'd take that....

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Did anything ever come of this project? Finally got a 6-slot cab needing some marquee love and I like the idea of the LED retrofit. If not, I hope you guys that pre-ordered get your money back.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Thanks pipes. Vids seem to be down though. Should be easy enough of a swap though. Yeah, after reading through the whole thing, I just decided to just replace the EL lights and get them through Glow Hut. I assume they were decent to deal with?

nate

n00b
Hey I just did the exact same EL panel replacement with panels from glowhut... I received the panels quickly, and it was a snap to install them. Unlike the original panels, the glowhut's have wire leads, so you can position them basically anywhere you want.

Worked like a charm, and my cab is looking awesome!

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Hey I just did the exact same EL panel replacement with panels from glowhut... I received the panels quickly, and it was a snap to install them. Unlike the original panels, the glowhut's have wire leads, so you can position them basically anywhere you want.

Worked like a charm, and my cab is looking awesome!

Right on. Thanks for the feedback Nate. I'll be ordering 6 up right now.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Thanks pipes and all of you that suggested Glowhut.com. It would have been nice to have an LED alternative but I didn't want to wait around any longer so I just went with the standard EL replacements. Their A6 panels worked like a charm. I did need to mask off a bit of the length but it was a pretty easy install. Check it out!

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
that's looking real nice, jmerc. How long did it take you?

I actually should've bumped this thread here thanking Pipes. This is pretty much what I followed. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?227188-New-EL-panels-installed-!!...-PICS-ARE-UP&highlight=

Each light takes about 10-15 minutes to remove, cut the new leads to length, strip & re-solder. At least it did for me, but then again, I'm no soldering pro. :D

For reference, this is what the latest EL bulbs look like from GlowHut. This is where the cutting/stripping comes in.

el1_zps864fc7f0.jpg

el2_zps1c0c1fdd.jpg

Last edited:

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
Just wondering if anyone had heard from the thread creator on this? Did Adderall get refunded? I am interested in obtaining the actual EL panels for a 6-Slot and would love to upgrade them with the new lighting.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
never heard from the guy again.....

as far as I know, everybody bailed and found cheaper solutions. I think there is another guy doing this now in a different thread.

EvilEmuOfDoom

New Challenger
never heard from the guy again.....

as far as I know, everybody bailed and found cheaper solutions. I think there is another guy doing this now in a different thread.
Yep, here's my thread: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?240136-Functional-MVS-LED-Marquee-Backlight-Project. Although admittedly I have been a little more active in the KLOV thread just because it's been crazy active and I tend to find it difficult to resist checking it as soon as an email notification pops up :D.

That really sucks that you didn't even get your money back :(. I can't help but feel that you deserve a break for jumping in early on the guy's preorder and risking that kind of money on a community project. So, if you would like, I can include you in the "beta test" group once I get working LGP panels sourced. No charge of course, not even shipping ;).

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Haa haa, and I was just about to post Evil's thread here.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Nice of you to do that Evil. Awesome stuff!