Look Mah, no graphics card! Laptops!!!

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Even the 2080ti has 11GB... and even a game like BFV still utilizes just over 10GB at 4K. To limit the 3080 like that and what introduce a new SKU with 12 or 16GB later? it's certainly bullshit.
I thought it's always been that third party card makers don't have to follow Nvidia's official specs. They can make a 3080 with more than 10GB if they want to. Maybe this has changed with the ray tracing cards. All the 3080's on Ebay seem to be 10GB, and all the 3090's are 24GB. They make you buy the top end card in the RTX 20 or RTX 30 series, if you want more than 10 or 11 GB of VRAM.
Quadro cards, on the other hand, are made by Nvidia themselves, so they always have Nvidia specs.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I thought the third party card makers don't have to follow Nvidia's official specs. They can make the 3080 with more than 10GB if they want to. But all the 3080's on Ebay seem to be 10GB.

Can someone explain the graphics card industry structure to me? Do companies like eVGA license tech from nVidia and ATI and then manufacture their own cards? What benefits would that have? What are hypothetical differences between the same GPU offered by two different third party manufacturers?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Can someone explain the graphics card industry structure to me? Do companies like eVGA license tech from nVidia and ATI and then manufacture their own cards? What benefits would that have? What are hypothetical differences between the same GPU offered by two different third party manufacturers?

The reference board design and GPU for each card in the series is set by nVidia/ATI and then third party vendors then design their own custom PCB layout, cooling, power delivery circuits, a staggered product line of factory overclocked cards and extra cooling. They don't have to after all but if you aren't selling a graphics card with rainbow LED lighting no one will buy it. :lolz:

So in short you'll have the option of a slightly faster card than the stock design but you will pay for it.

When was the last time a third party made changes to the amount of VRAM on a card? I don't think I've seen that for a while now? Maybe it happens on the lower end cards 50/60 series.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Just like Lach said. They pretty much just overclock them slightly, add a different cooling system (More Fans) and some lights with a different look. Some of the more expensive ones come with those aio coolers for those who love to overclock. The reference card is fine.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
No Joe I didn't buy a 3090 I was saying the price hike is insane with my current way of upgrading every 3 or so years. I can't afford those sorts of prices going forward. I did however buy a 2080ti but that'll be the last one I buy until prices come back down.

Besides I've found it works quite well buying the top end card and sometimes it's that 10% that makes all the difference.
The equivalent to the 2080ti in the Geforce 30 series would be the 3080, not the 3090 (which is the similar to the Titan RTX, in that it's expensive, and has a lot of VRAM). But it looks like Nvidia are going to release more new cards in the 30 series this month, anyway.
The latest top-end cards are also often bigger (30cm long- hard to fit in a PC case) need two extra power connectors, instead of one, and in some cases take up three slots.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The equivalent to the 2080ti in the Geforce 30 series would be the 3080, not the 3090

Not sure I ever alluded to the 2080ti being the equivalent of a 3090? They've done away with the Titan name (for now) as I already mentioned.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Are bitcoin people still snatching up GPUs?

You have not been able to mine bitcoin wiht GPU's for 5+ years. They use them to mine other crypto currency. Supposedly ASIC-resistant crypto's, but there are asics for them as well.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Heads up:

2021-10-09 (2).png

This is the unofficial queue tracker for EVGA, based on people self-reporting their notifications.

So some people who had been waiting for a 3060 Ti XC3 for over a month when this thread was new are still waiting.

New queue rules are going into effect (the first item was just detailing reversion from an earlier rule change):

2. In order to get cards to gamers sooner, please go to the notify page at https://www.evga.com/community/myNotifies.asp and keep only the top two cards selected that you would like to purchase, and remove the others.

• On October 11th, 2021, the system will only lookup and send notifies based on your two oldest entries.
  • Going forward, the queue system will only allow for two 30 Series notifies on the current lineup.
  • EVGA strongly suggests to keep the FTW3 ULTRA or XC3 ULTRA models due to consistent supply compared to limited supply on K|NGP|N, HYDRO COPPER and HYBRID due to supply constraints.
  • EVGA is also going to be adding SMS verification to the checkout process for all notifications to catch bot orders.
3. The queue system will not be turned back on until the current queues are fulfilled.
4. The checkout window is 20 hours from the time of notification released.

The new rules are resulting in some dramatic movement in the queue already as people cancel notifications on the cards they've given up on or consider less desirable. Hopefully there will be another surge forward on Monday when the people who have stopped watching their notifies get automatically locked out of their newer queues.

I stumbled into Best Buy's random online drop yesterday and in a moment of weakness ordered the single fan PNY 3060. It's supposed to be ready for pickup on Thursday.

Praying the queue jumps enough that I get a notify so I can just cancel the PNY card.

2021-10-09 (3).png

:whine:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm glad I bought my 2080ti back in late 2018. I don't have to deal with the bullshit queues or the price gouging.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Every time I look at that overpriced turd, part of me screams.

But that's pride fucking with me.
Hahahaha IT HAPPENED. I got my notification from EVGA just now.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Just the gaming 3060, but that's a jump of 12 days in the line since yesterday. I'm just happy to be paying $223 less (including shipping from EVGA) for a better card. Hell, I'm happy to be getting a card that's on spec.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
My spot in line (June 3) for the 3657 (3060 XC Gaming) was called this time last week. This morning, that line had advanced to July 22. Anyone who is just looking to get a reasonably priced 3000 series card might want to keep their eyes on that queue line because I wouldn't be surprised if it reopens in the next week or so.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
man the day my radeon 5600 XT stops running games at an acceptable framerate is the day I give up on modern vidya gaming on pc. Thanks a lot miners