Looks like Youtube is testing out blocking ad blockers on PC browsers.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've found myself downloading albums now instead of relying on youtube. Weird kinda doing a 180 after streaming for the last 10 years.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I just pay for premium like I have been for the past 12 years.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I can't imagine youtube without adblocker. I really don't know if I could handle it.
In some cases, you can just skip the ads, after a few seconds.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I use the one built into the Vivaldi browser and the Ublock Origin extension with it. So far no ads have gotten through.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
is it region-specific for now? with active VPN (poland via switzerland) I haven't seen anything telling me to turn off my adblock so far...

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I was under the assumption that most adblockers were made ineffective in Chrome post Manifest 3.0 rollout. Chrome doesn’t allow extensions using older API manifest 2.0. Adblockers still work in Firefox since it allows the use of older API (for now anyway).

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I was under the assumption that most adblockers were made ineffective in Chrome post Manifest 3.0 rollout. Chrome doesn’t allow extensions using older API manifest 2.0. Adblockers still work in Firefox since it allows the use of older API (for now anyway).

Not sure man, but they work just fine on my Chrome browser, other than the aforementioned popup, but you just hit the X button and the vid will keep playing.

I not only ad block the entire internet, I use Sponsor Block on youtube.

There was a Youtube custom app for the NVidia shield and firetv (I think?) that was really great. I think it was called SmartTubeNext or something like that. It would autoskip sponsor bits, as well as random bullshit bits, like if the youtuber went on a tangent or whatever. It was awesome. I have no idea how they got that to work but it worked great until it stopped working at all.

I would be OK with paying for premium if the standard US price was that of Argentina/India/etc. Im not paying $15 a month to watch meme videos or Now in the 90s. $3 a month? Sure fine.

But not $15.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Im not paying $15 a month to watch meme videos or Now in the 90s. $3 a month? Sure fine.

But not $15.

When I signed up to Google Play it was 9.99 a month and I got Google Play Music (like Spotify), YT Music (like Spotify but you can play more indie/weird shit as music through the app), and no ad YouTube.

Now in 2023, $13.99 for YT Music and no ads YouTube isn't a horrible price, especially if you cancel your Spotify and use the YT Music instead. It's pretty much the same thing, nothing special about Spotify but YT Music actually has more random shit. Google Play Music was shutdown in 2018 or something like that.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Ad-block works for me on firefox for youtube still for how long who knows :rolleyes:
Well update now i'm getting it on firefox hmm maybe it's time to try a different broswer. Hey i don't mind ads when i watch youtube on the roku but on the desktop it's annoying.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Still haven't seen a single Youtube ad with the combination of Ublock Origin and the built-in ad filtering in the Vivaldi browser.