Mario Games

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'm sure smokehouse will chime in on this.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I don't think there's a truly bad Mario game, whether he is the main character or not, but I can think of a disappointing Mario game...

Mario Clash (VB)

It's not strictly a bad game, but seeing how it's based on Mario Bros., which was defined by hitting enemies from below the floor to knock them over, removing that for Mario Clash and instead having the player toss Koopa shells using the 3D depth of the VB which is really, really hard, I for one can't help but be disappointed by that.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
A few of the Square developed Mario sports titles are pretty weak.

I dig arcade the platformers (DK, DK Jr, Mario Bros, Mario Clash, even Hotel Mario)

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I remember the educational games being pretty bad.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
SMB2 Japan.

Ok, it isn't a bad game per se.

It just sufferers from a lack of creativity.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Never played it, but Hotel Mario (CD-i) looks pretty lame.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Mario is Missing on SNES.

Also, Mario's Tennis on VB while a good game, originally had Birdetta/Catherine(Birdo) on the character select screen and they removed her from the final release. They pulled the exact same damn BS and removed Birdetta out of Mario Kart on Wii U when she was also shown on the character select screen pre-release. What's up with Nintendo and the hate?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member

Let's stick to opinions formed by playing, not looking.

SMB2 Japan.

Ok, it isn't a bad game per se.

It just sufferers from a lack of creativity.

Well, it's kind of creative in the limited space of SMB1. Compared to SMB2 USA, yeah it's really lame.

Mario is Missing on SNES.

Also, Mario's Tennis on VB while a good game, originally had Birdetta/Catherine(Birdo) on the character select screen and they removed her from the final release. They pulled the exact same damn BS and removed Birdetta out of Mario Kart on Wii U when she was also shown on the character select screen pre-release. What's up with Nintendo and the hate?

It's probably because Birdo is a minor Mario character. It's the same reason why Koopa Troopa was only ever in Super Mario Kart.

If you must, Birdo is available in Mario Kart: Double Dash.

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Mario is missing? Hotel Mario? Didn't play them yet but what I saw in Videos wasn't too impressive

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

The cut scenes are hilariously terrible but the game itself is actually pretty fun, assuming you have a decent CD-i controller (I have one of the Genesis-style 3 button pads)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Let's stick to opinions formed by playing, not looking.

Well, it's kind of creative in the limited space of SMB1. Compared to SMB2 USA, yeah it's really lame.

It's probably because Birdo is a minor Mario character. It's the same reason why Koopa Troopa was only ever in Super Mario Kart.

If you must, Birdo is available in Mario Kart: Double Dash.

She was depicted as in a romance with Yoshi in the instruction manual of Mario Tennis on 64, later was paired with Yoshi on lots of Nintendo memerobilia, and finally was shown in official art wearing a wedding ring. As Yoshi's wife, I feel that she's now more than a side character & demand that they stop yanking her out of games and give her the credit she deserves. ;)

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Well, if Peach, Toad and even Blooper can get a game, then I'm sure Birdo can as well. During the time of Mario's Tennis (VB) and Mario Kart 64, she was definitely a minor character.

I refuse to believe Splatoon is anything but a Blooper game.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
there are lots. Do you want to include all the edu-tainment titles?
Preschool mario, mario teaches typing, mario time machine, Mario FunDamentals, Mario fun with letters,

Hotel Mario is actually quite playable

Some of the Mario Party games are duds.
Mario Picross - boring.
Mario time machine - dreadful

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Mario Is Missing is horrible.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
msdos_Mario_Teaches_Typing_1992.gif

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
not a bad game, but mario sunshine felt like it was rushed and unfinished to me. still love it it though.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Mario's time machine come's to mind, rubbish.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
not a bad game, but mario sunshine felt like it was rushed and unfinished to me. still love it it though.

Sunshine was one of the best Gamecube games I ever played. Heck, by that point, it was the best Mario platformer I had played in years.

Then again, I love Majora's Mask more than Ocarina of Time, same with Double Dash, so I prefer weird adaptions of my favorite series.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I guess that I kind of break it down into categories, main Mario titles, branch Mario titles.

Branch titles, like Time Machine, Hotel, Missing, etc...they really don't count in my book. Most suck anyway.

Main titles? I think that one of my least favorites is Yoshi's Island. The crying baby shit really got to me despite the game being absolutely beautiful, on top of that, I was never really a big Yoshi fan.

I've been lukewarm on a few titles like 64, Sunshine and Galaxy. I don't despise them, but they're definitely not my favorite.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Main titles? I think that one of my least favorites is Yoshi's Island. The crying baby shit really got to me despite the game being absolutely beautiful, on top of that, I was never really a big Yoshi fan.

Technically Yoshi's Island is a Yoshi game, not really a traditional Mario game.

Also, Baby Mario only cries if you suck ass at Yoshi's Island.

I agree... Mario time machine was bad.

It's especially bad when it's stretched to 16:9.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Look I can actually speak for Hotel Mario, I'm one of the few who actually had a CDi back in the day and sought that out and Link Faces of Evil. Despite the hipster douche magnetism of calling them total unredeemable shit for cool points, they're not bad. They're NOT 1st party Nintendo quality too to be fair. Hotel Mario is this weird bastard hybridization of Elevator Action, Mario Bros, and visuals/sfx more in line with the Super Nintendo. It's actually pretty fun, and yes the video online are true the animations and vocals are embarrassing to watch but so bad they're good, sort of like a rubber monster movie from Japan. Since I brought it up Link Faces of Evil is much like Zelda 2 without the active overworld and it plays at a slightly slower pace. It does annoyingly restart the audio if you pop into another screen since the memory isn't there on the CDi to keep it going so the restarts are jarring, and yes the video on this is worse than the Hotel Mario bits. It's not easy, but it is fair, if you blow it, it is your fault. Both games in their own style are pretty well drawn and the controls work fine. They're actually some of the better CDi games in their own genres.

As far as actually poor Mario games, yeah they exist, but they tend to be the farmed out crap like their handed off sports titles. I know it won't be popular but I'd also throw Super Luigi U in there, you have to be a person in love with speed runs and not exploring to get into that with the 100 (mario) second clock or you die in every stages. I find that game wholly unfun in ever respect. I put it down after a couple worlds and sold it. Super Mario Bros 2 FDS (Japan) also fairly well sucks, it's a masters challenge game, not a real 'mario game' persay as they sold it for masters of the old wanting more of the same. It's fun and not fun in the same light because of that. I've finished it before, not hte added A-D worlds, but I've never compelled myself to do it twice as I don't like the design changes and fuck that poison mushroom too. It just seemed like a lazy game with minimal upgrades visually of just more of the same, it was like the EA Madden regurgitation of Mario. Mario Party, any of those though are fucking awful unless you play them with all 4 people as humans. The AI is a goddamned horrible cheat. You can beat the hell out of the game the entire board, then around the last move or two it will throw more often than not some cheap smack to your face and take away your points or throw you back the board so the AI will win no matter how bad you were kicking its ass. That's not a game, it's an insult. Wasted my money on the first one, hated the others I've found over time since as I'd try them to see if they got better (and have not.)

I'm not going to pick on the educational games though, they do a good job for the target audience, kids and learning, not actual gaming. As games they're not good, but as a tool they are.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I've never heard of these "branched out" games. I need to do some reasearch.