Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes (Discussion about MG Rising, Too)

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Not much to go off of right now, other than it appears it will be open world and will be running on KP's 'Fox Engine'. Here's hoping we'll get a good amount of detail at TGS for this.

newsnake2.jpg

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Open world? Intriguing. They're taking a chance, given how much the game relies on a strict narrative to tell a very focused story. The danger inherent in open world is that you risk the side quests becoming more interesting and impacting than the main story (this happened for me in Fallout 3 and Elder Scrolls.)

However, it CAN be done. Dragon's Dogma is open world and there's a lot to do in that game. But none of it overshadows the main storyline, which has the best and most exciting plot points and battles.

I'm intersted to see what happens here.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Cautiously optimistic. I hope the gameplay remains tight enough, I find a lot of open world games are technically sound gameplay wise but often don't excell in any one gameplay area.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I am not intrigued by open world. I don't have any particular interest in Konami trying a bunch of different things with the Metal Gear franchise. I have more interest in them just making new games and developing new franchises.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What if it was a quasi-open world like Batman: AC?

Edit: I agree with you about new games and franchises!

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'd rather Kojima makes the games he wants to make. I don't care if they're sequels, new IPs or whatever. As long as his heart and energy are in it, it will result in a good product. The freshness of the IP doesn't really matter.

I DO agree that Konami, and everyone, need to develop new IPs. But Kojima should do whatever he damn well wants to do.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I'm kind of tired of the MGS franchise, but I feel like Kojima is tired of it more so. I agree with the sentiment of him just making the games he wants to make.

Still looking forward to a new Z.O.E, but I miss the risk/reward with trying new things like he did with Boktai.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'd rather Kojima makes the games he wants to make. I don't care if they're sequels, new IPs or whatever. As long as his heart and energy are in it, it will result in a good product. The freshness of the IP doesn't really matter.

I DO agree that Konami, and everyone, need to develop new IPs. But Kojima should do whatever he damn well wants to do.
Kojima has wanted to drop MGS for about a decade at this point. Pressure from Konami and death threats from "fans" have kept him with the franchise well beyond the point he would have left it behind to focus on new, original projects.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Could this be the remake of the original MG?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Kojima has wanted to drop MGS for about a decade at this point. Pressure from Konami and death threats from "fans" have kept him with the franchise well beyond the point he would have left it behind to focus on new, original projects.

Well, screw them.

Edit: I'm still buying this.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
You never know. The beard and outfit make me think it's another Big Boss prequel, though.

It is. This is a sequel to Peace Walker. That pic is Big Boss wearing the sneaking suit from PW, with the MSF badge on the shoulder.

Depending on the time period this one takes place in (due to the gun he's holding, it can't take place any earlier than the late 70's), it may serve to fully close the gap between PW and the first Metal Gear game.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I think someone here suggested this before, but the only new MGS game I would likely ever get super-hyped about at this point is if they did a new stealth action game set in WW2 starring the Boss.

I'll still check out a new Kojima game set between Peace Walker and MG1, but they really can't stretch that era out much further. I loved MGS3 and the psp games (Peace Walker, less), but I don't want to see them run it into the ground (more).

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Seeing a title starring the Cobra Unit would be amazing. I've been behind that idea for a long time, for sure.

With what 'Ground Zeroes' could be, I could see it having a similar game structure to how Peace Walker was. Running a bunch of different missions, but eschewing the menu-based layout for everything and placing it all within a large play area. Not a bad idea, really, as long as it is handled well. But, it's all just speculation until Konami does a full reveal. Time to wait until TGS is up and running.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
http://www.gamespot.com/features/ko...he-future-of-the-cobra-unit-and-more-6382502/

There are always rumors about Metal Gear 5, and though I'm not going to ask about that, my question is, have you ever considered making a story that just focuses on the Cobra Unit from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater?

So, I think I did explain this before in a past interview, but after Metal Gear Solid 4, I did have a plan to make a game that focused on the Cobra Unit. It would focus on the young cobra unit as they stormed the beach of Normandy and that whole story, but, you know, I couldn't take that story and give it to the team because there's a little too much pressure, and the younger guys didn't feel like they could do it properly. That's why it became Rising instead. Personally, I really do like that [Cobra Unit] storyline. So, because the staff said, "No we can't handle that," it became a spin-off.

My opinion on the new game: If Peace Walker's ending is an indication of where they plan to take the story in this game, then by all means, kill the Solid saga and reboot MG.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
My guess is that remakes of the first two MG games are next on the to-do list after this gets released.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
To be honest, I am happy another Metal Gear Solid game is coming out on new hardware. I felt after MGS4 it would be nice to see another game of its caliber (or better) without Old Snake for once.

Am I the only one who would love to see a sequel to Snatcher? Surely they will have to change the digital comic gameplay style to something else though. It just seems like fun idea. I would even take a handheld sequel of some sort as long was it is done pretty well. One can dream I guess. Atleast, we got a fan translation of Policenauts.