Monty Python Turns 40

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
k2isz4.jpg

The IFC Channel will be commemorating the occasion with a 6-hour documentary this Sunday, titled Monty Python's Flying Circus - The Lawyer's Cut.

Recent video clip of surviving members talking about it: link

I really should collect their stuff on DVD at some point.
9asnrs.jpg

Good times.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
My favorite bits are still the Cannibalism sketch ("Still no sign of land... how long is it?" "That's rather a personal question, sir!") and Word Association (audio-only, from the Matching Tie & Handkerchief album).

John Cleese said:
Tonight's the night I shall be talking about of flu the subject of word association football. This is a technique out a living much used in the practice makes perfect of psychoanalysister and brother and one that has occupied piper the majority rule of my attention squad by the right number one two three four the last five years to the memory. It is quite remarkable baker charlie how much the miller's son this so-called while you were out word association immigrants' problems influences the manner from heaven in which we sleekit cowering timorous beastie all-American Speke, the famous explorer. And the really well that is surprising partner in crime is that a Lot and his wife of the lions' feeding time we may be-C-D-E-effectively quite unaware of the fact or fiction section of the Watford Public Library that we are even doing it is a far, far better thing that I do now then, now then, what's going onward Christian Barnard the famous hearty part of the lettuce now praise famous mental homes for loonies like me. So on the button, my contention causing all the headaches, is that unless we take into account of Monte Cristo in our thinKing George the Fifth this phenomenon the other hand we shall not be able satisFact or Fiction section of the Watford Public Library againily to understand to attention when I'm talking to you and stop laughing, about human nature, man's psychological make-up some story the wife'll believe and hence the very meaning of life itselfish bastard, I'll kick him in the ball's Pond Road.

Last edited:

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Maybe it's me, but I never really found Monty Python to be that funny at all.

They just seem like a bunch of drunk students arsing around.

I do really like, nay love The Life of Brian and Fawlty Towers but aside from that I'm not really that enthused.

I suppose the same could be said about the shows that I really loved years ago like the Fast Show, or even stuff now like Garth Marenghi, give it 10 years and perhaps it won't be amusing at all.

That said I hope that the comedy genius in stuff like Arrested Development and Curb remains as fresh as the likes of Brian and Fawlty in years to come.

aria

Former Moderator
With Python, I like some of their stuff --but I realize how radical they were at the time.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Idiot Olympics.

Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition.

Argument Training.

The Lumberjack Song.

The Ex-Parrot (which was faithfully reprised by Michael Palin and John Cleese on SNL many, many years later, and was very cool to see.)

Grail.

Life Of Brian.

Meaning Of Life.

The good memories go on and on.

Happy B-day, MP.

IT'S.....

mp306-03.jpg

Last edited:

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
Well, I have the Meaning of life, Life of Brian and The Holy Grail. The best one is the holy Grail. The other stuff is funny too, but the Grail had more funny parts.

Deuce

The Ex-Parrot (which was faithfully reprised by Eric Idle and John Cleese on SNL many, many years later, and was very cool to see.)

Have you a link to this treasure?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I do not, sir.

I caught it once when the series was in reruns on E! and I was totally surprised to see they'd done it.

I'd imagine that since NBC has a lot of that SNL stuff on lockdown, it won't be on youtube. If I find something, I'll let you know.

EDIT:

The wiki has some info on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Parrot

Also, it was Michael Palin and John Cleese. I went back and edited my original post to give appropriate credit.

Last edited:

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Parts of "meaning of life" are hysterical but as a whole I didn't enjoy it that much.

Deuce

Parts of "meaning of life" are hysterical but as a whole I didn't enjoy it that much.

The tiger costume part cracks me right the fuck up. It's not a great movie on the whole, but it does contain some of the best individual bits they ever did.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I fucking love Monty Python, and anyone who enjoys sketch comedy owes those guys some thanks.

They were pretty much geniuses. Sure, some of the shows weren't as good as others, but they probably had more side-splittingly hilarious moments than any other show I can think of.

I wish I had the complete series on DVD, but it was pretty expensive back in the day. I'll have a look for it though, maybe it's cheaper now.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
My all-time favorite series! Not every skit is a masterpiece, but I usually laugh my ass off when I watch anything Python.

@HN Costco has had the Python set before with only an $80 (US) price tag.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Corporate Pirates

Funny, but not technically a part of that film itself. I'm partial to the "World Hide and Seek championship" , "how not to be seen," "The Bishop," and the "Dennis Moore" sketches.

Deuce

"The text, vic! Don't say the text!"

"Leviticus 3:14--" *BOOM*

And let us not forget the documentary on the life of Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dangle-dongle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticoldensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spellerwasser-kürstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-eine-nürnburger-bratwurstle-gerspurten-mit-zweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-raucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

And what about the Upper-Class Twit of the Year?