Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
All is Lost- Good shit. Old ass Robert Redford puts in a great and demanding performance. Be aware though that Redford is the only person in the entire movie and there is only one line of dialog and even that is only a single word.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Robocop

This film has long been against my grain...but it was added to netflix so I decided to watch it. I'm not even going to pretend this film is even close to the wit, style and violence of the original...so comparing the two just isn't going to happen, they're not even on the same level.

As a stand alone film...it's basically two segments for me...

Tech/acting- both were on the level. The acting was good be nearly everyone in the film. I am a life long Gary Oldman fan and a large fan of Michael Keaton (who is a highly underrated actor in my opinion). Joel Kinnaman is ok at best as Murphy...his performance may be a result of shitty writing...who knows. Fuck Samuel L Jackson...fuck's sake, I am tired of his typical yelling/ranting bullshit. Enough already...

The tech is good, actually. The way the electronic/mechanical parts went down is actually very kick ass...far better than the original in nearly every way. Typical for the 1980's vs 2014 difference in special effects. I can't complain about this in the slightest.

Plot/dialog- Horrible. Horribly thought out plot, characters that have no drive or purpose, characters that flip flop (Keaton instantly turning from tech CEO to homicidal maniac in a few seconds), the guy who hates Murphy for absolutely no reason...how they decided to handle the character of Murphy and his family...it's all horrible. Why they take a good story like the original and fuck it all up is beyond me. You want to do a remake...refresh it, the original story made sense...this story was a convoluted mess.

In the end, it was watchable...and that's it. As expected, it comes nowhere near the original in any way except special effects...

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Robocop

This film has long been against my grain...but it was added to netflix so I decided to watch it. I'm not even going to pretend this film is even close to the wit, style and violence of the original...so comparing the two just isn't going to happen, they're not even on the same level.
It also misses everything Verhoeven was trying to convey with the original. You just can't remake a Paul Verhoeven movie, it doesn't work. For what it is, the remake was tolerable, but it pales in comparison to the original in every way.

Lately:
Birdman - it sort of mystifies me that this won Best Picture. It is so boring for so long. Two good characters (Emma Stone stood out the most to me, Keaton was also very good) don't make up for the low stakes and the sloooow pacing. Not a fan.

The Homesman - Western starring, directed by, and screenplay partially by Tommy Lee Jones. Hillary Swank was really good. Good movie, very much not an upper though.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It also misses everything Verhoeven was trying to convey with the original. You just can't remake a Paul Verhoeven movie, it doesn't work. For what it is, the remake was tolerable, but it pales in comparison to the original in every way.

Lately:
Birdman - it sort of mystifies me that this won Best Picture. It is so boring for so long. Two good characters (Emma Stone stood out the most to me, Keaton was also very good) don't make up for the low stakes and the sloooow pacing. Not a fan.

Yeah...the original Robocop had so much dark-humor and such a strong plot that the new on doesn't even compare. Murphy's human spirit and his journey from a man, to a machine, and finally back to a man is a large part of the film. the persistance ad endurance of a man and his soul is the point...this was 100% ignored in the new film. It's basically tech-masturbation.

Birdman kinda weak huh? Bummer...I was planning on renting it this weekend. Would you say its worth renting?

Lucy

I rented this one last night and both my wife and myself highly enjoyed this film. Sure, its a bit silly but the Besson's presentation is well done, potent and to the point. I found the 1hr 29min run time rather refreshing actually. I hit the ground running and punched you in the face unit the short end...I appreciated it. Again...the plot is a bit far fetched but I'm ok with that...its sci-fi...have fun with it.

In the end, I though it was a really great rental and enjoyable film.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Birdman kinda weak huh? Bummer...I was planning on renting it this weekend. Would you say its worth renting?
Yeah, I'd say it's worth a rental, but you have to be in the right mindset to get anything out of it- it's not really about much at all. Knowing that so little will happen and being okay with that is, I would say, a requirement to not fall asleep watching it. It's so incredibly gimmicky as far as the direction goes and then it's also clearly an actor's showcase. Thing is, those often are only for the actors, not an everyman audience. I also hated the incessant drumming soundtrack. It plays over 75% of the movie, really got grating. Honestly, I guess I'd say I kind of hated it other than the ending.

Last night I watched Whiplash. So good. Simmons and Teller sell the shit out of the primary dynamic in the movie. Really intense, very well done. I would rank it just ahead of The Grand Budapest Hotel in ranking the Best Picture noms.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I saw Birman in the theater and really enjoyed it. Thought it was one of the best movies I'd seen in a long time. Great performances, editing, a good amount of dark humor and I thought the soundtrack really complimented the chaotic nature of the movie.

I'd honestly say it's worthing seeing for anyone just based on Keaton's performance alone. It is a small movie though and like jro said it's very actors acting heavy but considering it's about trying to put on play that's kind of expected.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Horrible Bosses 2 - Still funny, but not as good, by far, as the original (Chris Pine was good, but the three bosses really made the first). Also, much (MUCH) of the humor was predicated on Bateman, Sudiekis, and Day all talking at once. Also very much self-satisfied. Dumb fun but not really recommended unless you have nothing better to watch.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
LOL...did I miss the housekeeping running through? What happened to the indiana jones ranting?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Captain America Winter Soldier

MEH.

I think this just about sums up my feelings towards Ironman, Ironman 2, Avengers, Captain America and Captain America WS. All are…well…meh. They keep me entertained, they move along…none really have much substance in the slightest. I haven't seen Thor or Ironman 3…but I'm sure I'd say the same thing. Meh. Time and time again I kept hearing about how fucking awesome the Avengers and Winter Soldier is…so I watched them both and was extremely unimpressed. Guess tons of people just love long ass, over the top action scenes thrown at them again and again and flimsy plots in-between those scenes...

Its funny figuring I love comic books…but these just aren't the same...

Guardians of the Galaxy

NOT MEH.

VERY NOT MEH.

I was shocked at how much I liked this film truth be told. I found it entertaining, the plot was well done and the acting was good. Very surprised...

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Those Captain America films are the very definition of meh. I like GotG alot, but it might have been hyped up a bit too much tho. I need to rewatch again.

SH, you should watch the first Thor, it is decent and didn't take itself too seriously. The 2nd is a clusterfuck though. Ironman 3 has some good action scenes (especially the epic finale) but it drags quite a bit as IM became a teenage girl.

Saw Whiplash a few night ago and it is amazing. That ending, holy crap, didn't think a boring jazz concert can translate into this kind of excitement.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I just watched the new Robocop.

The only time I was entertained at all was at the end when Samuel L. Jackson got mad during the last Pat Novak segment.

Otherwise, it' s a really poor film.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Finally finally finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy last night. I was entertained. Fun movie. Maybe the best Marvel Studios movie, although imo, that is saying extremely little. Most of the ones people praise, I was bored by. Actually, I was bored by all of them except the first Iron Man, and if I ever watched it a second time, that one would probably bore me, too. They all just feel like nothing. Completely empty experiences.

I haven't seen Cap 2 yet, so I can't comment on that one. I want to watch it, but at the same time I kind of don't because people told me the first one was good too, and I don't want to be let down again. And heaven help me, I plan to see the second Avengers when it comes out, despite how I feel about the first one.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Finally finally finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy last night. I was entertained. Fun movie. Maybe the best Marvel Studios movie, although imo, that is saying extremely little. Most of the ones people praise, I was bored by. Actually, I was bored by all of them except the first Iron Man, and if I ever watched it a second time, that one would probably bore me, too. They all just feel like nothing. Completely empty experiences.

I haven't seen Cap 2 yet, so I can't comment on that one. I want to watch it, but at the same time I kind of don't because people told me the first one was good too, and I don't want to be let down again. And heaven help me, I plan to see the second Avengers when it comes out, despite how I feel about the first one.

Good...so I'm not the only one.

Every time I speak against the Avengers in a public setting, I get looks as if I just mentioned child rape or something.

Again...I can watch them, they aren't flat out boring, they're just thin. I guess I just can't understand the claims of them being so amazing...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've said it before but I agree with Kid. God, I mean right down to watching the second Avengers.

Guardians was good, btw.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
HER

Fascinating concept for a film...and a direction that I feel will become a real thing in our lifetime. I felt the movie was well done, well acted, well written. My wife and I highly enjoyed it.

I've been chewing on the idea ever since...I really wonder how things of that nature will go down with AI is available...especially to lonely/socially awkward people...

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Captain America Winter Soldier

MEH.

I think this just about sums up my feelings towards Ironman, Ironman 2, Avengers, Captain America and Captain America WS. All are…well…meh. They keep me entertained, they move along…none really have much substance in the slightest. I haven't seen Thor or Ironman 3…but I'm sure I'd say the same thing. Meh. Time and time again I kept hearing about how fucking awesome the Avengers and Winter Soldier is…so I watched them both and was extremely unimpressed. Guess tons of people just love long ass, over the top action scenes thrown at them again and again and flimsy plots in-between those scenes...

Its funny figuring I love comic books…but these just aren't the same...

Guardians of the Galaxy

NOT MEH.

VERY NOT MEH.

I was shocked at how much I liked this film truth be told. I found it entertaining, the plot was well done and the acting was good. Very surprised...
I quite like The Winter Soldier. It's either my favorite of the Marvel Studios releases or second to GotG. It tells a much more interesting story (it's a cold war allegory that delves into government control and spying, etc) than the usual and The Winter Soldier himself is just an awesome villain. My favorite Marvel-related overall though is The Wolverine, for similar reasons.

HER

Fascinating concept for a film...and a direction that I feel will become a real thing in our lifetime. I felt the movie was well done, well acted, well written. My wife and I highly enjoyed it.

I've been chewing on the idea ever since...I really wonder how things of that nature will go down with AI is available...especially to lonely/socially awkward people...

I loved that movie. An AI that can learn like she does in that movie would basically bring about The Singularity, though, wouldn't it?

For me- The ABCs of Death 2 - Holy mother of Jeebus, this was fucked up. 26 horror (mostly) shorts from 26+ different directors. Seemed like each one was trying to be more fucked up than the last.

Highly entertaining and recommended.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I quite like The Winter Soldier. It's either my favorite of the Marvel Studios releases or second to GotG. It tells a much more interesting story (it's a cold war allegory that delves into government control and spying, etc) than the usual and The Winter Soldier himself is just an awesome villain. My favorite Marvel-related overall though is The Wolverine, for similar reasons.

I loved that movie. An AI that can learn like she does in that movie would basically bring about The Singularity, though, wouldn't it?

For me- The ABCs of Death 2 - Holy mother of Jeebus, this was fucked up. 26 horror (mostly) shorts from 26+ different directors. Seemed like each one was trying to be more fucked up than the last.

Highly entertaining and recommended.

To me...the technology did two things...

It followed the typical parent/child timeline: You have a child, it needs you 100%, you grow to love it, as time goes on it needs you less and less...eventually, it leaves you. The child stops seeing you as a god and eventually sees you as a human, just like they are.

It also raised a very simple question. Would AI figure out in short order how flawed and eventually, useless and destructive human beings really are? I've long been of the mind that real AI, evolving AI wouldn't take long to view its creators as horribly flawed. Now...if it turns on its creators, or views it as silly inferiors and ignores them, or tries to be benevolent and help them...who knows.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I've long been of the mind that real AI, evolving AI wouldn't take long to view its creators as horribly flawed. Now...if it turns on its creators, or views it as silly inferiors and ignores them, or tries to be benevolent and help them...who knows.

How long have you been of that mind? Since October 26, 1984?

The_Terminator_terminator.jpg

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
VHS: Viral - Similar, obviously, to the first two VHS movies, but the focus within each story was better (I especially don't care for the first VHS, it's just boring).

Three good self-contained shorts, basically, with the middle in particular reaching batshit insane level (which is good).

The overarching story was surprisingly bad, though- the premise and buildup is really interesting, then a flat-out godawful ending (that also makes almost zero sense) pretty much sinks it. Still worth watching, just be prepared to literally, out loud, ask your TV what the fuck when it ends.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I just watched the new Robocop.

The only time I was entertained at all was at the end when Samuel L. Jackson got mad during the last Pat Novak segment.

Otherwise, it' s a really poor film.

Would not buy for a dollar.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Cherry Bomb
-ok revenge flick, some of the characters didn't need to be in it and it kinda loses focus but as I said it's alright

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
VHS: Viral - Similar, obviously, to the first two VHS movies, but the focus within each story was better (I especially don't care for the first VHS, it's just boring).

Three good self-contained shorts, basically, with the middle in particular reaching batshit insane level (which is good).

The overarching story was surprisingly bad, though- the premise and buildup is really interesting, then a flat-out godawful ending (that also makes almost zero sense) pretty much sinks it. Still worth watching, just be prepared to literally, out loud, ask your TV what the fuck when it ends.

I didn't know Viral was out yet. Is it out on DVD/Blu in the US? I might have to import a copy, I enjoyed the first two.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Would not buy for a dollar.

On a side note...I am SICK of Samuel L Jackson.

How many movies can they cram this one trick pony into? Ok, he says motherfucker. Ok, he yells a ton. Ok...he has "once character" like many other actors...

But fuck's sake...why is he in everything right now?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I didn't know Viral was out yet. Is it out on DVD/Blu in the US? I might have to import a copy, I enjoyed the first two.

Yes, though it seems difficult to find the BD in stores (BestBuy is supposed to have it but every time I'm there they have the DVD in stock and an empty spot for the BD). I just bought the DVD instead, was only like $13 or so, maybe lower.

Watched Starry Eyes last night. Just completely unique and utterly bizarre. Woman tries to get a role in a movie, then what she does and what happens to her made my skin crawl.

Much of the funding came via Kickstarter, sort of interesting.

Absolutely recommended.