Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Still, I often wonder what Eyes Wide Shut would have been if Kubrick hadn't died and the movie had starred almost anyone else.

What do you mean? Kubrick died only a few months before Eyes Wide Shut was released.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Cocktail w. Tom Cruise is fucking awful. Turned it off about a halfway through. Watched Road House instead

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Road House is fucking dope and Dalton is one of my favorite male lead characters . Such a good, strong, awesome guy! He's perfect~~~

Comparing Swayze with that little sniveling faggot, Tom Cruise, makes Cruise look worse and worse to me. Cocktail did not make me happy.

I need to watch Legend though. There's this whole heartbreaking story behind me and that movie so I'm not sure if I can bring myself to watch it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you have a choice between movies, the answer is usually Road House.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Meet me at the Roadhouse after 9:30

Twin_Peaks_%28Music_from_the_Limited_Event_Series%29.png

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Cocktail w. Tom Cruise is fucking awful. Turned it off about a halfway through.

did pretty much the same. cocktail is tom cruise's worst movie from the 80's imo. has a huge following for some fucking reason.

watches his all the right moves in recant times. one of tom cruise's lesser known movies but pisses all over cocktail.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
If you have a choice between movies, the answer is usually Road House.

well, something about the logo in pink on the cover and the subject matter made me go, "wait a minute, don't I have a non-pussy version of this movie...?"

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not sure there's a more manly movie than Road House. It can get away with all the neon pink it wants. It's very secure in its masculinity.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I was referring to Cocktail when I said "neon pink". It contrasts the neon blue of the Road House logo almost perfectly. Same movie except its for men and not fags. Maverick guy gets hired by a bar and does a great job only doesn't suck a million dicks and flip bottles in the air every 5 minutes like a fairy

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What do you mean? Kubrick died only a few months before Eyes Wide Shut was released.

Kubrick wasn't done with the movie. They released it in an unfinished state. Well, finished by other people trying to guess what Kubrick would have done.

I need to watch Legend though. There's this whole heartbreaking story behind me and that movie so I'm not sure if I can bring myself to watch it.
I'd never seen it. Finally got around to it earlier this year. Made it about 10 minutes in when I realized the characters were going to periodically be singing. Awful. Turned it off.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Legend was too ambitious for its own good. It's a cult favorite with a lot of my friends who are illustrators, which I expect since they are keen on visuals.

I don't think it's all that engaging but Mia Sara is pretty enchanting when she goes evil for the third act. I also think Tim Curry is mesmerizing as the villain in the film, even though it's distracting when he's charging and his horns are bouncing all over the place, which shatters the illusion completely.

Ridley Scott took some weird shortcuts and was strangely sloppy at times. For a guy with a unique technical style who makes movies that are visually timeless, his editing wasn't always up to snuff. Both the prosthetic horns in Legend and the edit of Ash's prosthetic head to Ian Holm's milky mug sticking up through a hole in a table is laugh out loud funny. Even Tommy Wisseau would have done a better job with that edit.

As for Roadhouse and Cocktail, who the fuck compares these movies? They aren't even remotely the same kind of film. And Roadhouse is eminently more enjoyable, although Cocktail has Elizabeth Shue in her prime and that's pretty hard to beat.

Also, Roadhouse has a good drinking game.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I was referring to Cocktail when I said "neon pink". It contrasts the neon blue of the Road House logo almost perfectly. Same movie except its for men and not fags. Maverick guy gets hired by a bar and does a great job only doesn't suck a million dicks and flip bottles in the air every 5 minutes like a fairy
Ah, you're right, it's blue and not pink.

fake

15 Year Member
Kubrick wasn't done with the movie. They released it in an unfinished state. Well, finished by other people trying to guess what Kubrick would have done.

Right, but Cruise was his choice.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
As for Roadhouse and Cocktail, who the fuck compares these movies?

it's a poetic comparison. but it's valid. I was watching this movie with some short pussy guy working a bar like a prodigy, doing like the same trademark move over and over again.... then im thinking like.... there's a better VERSION of this SITUATION

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Right, but Cruise was his choice.
Cruise was his choice because he wanted to cast an actual married couple. If he'd made it in the 1960s, maybe it would have been Martin Landau and Barbara Bain. In the late 2000s, maybe he would have cast Pitt and Jolie (which would have been much worse). But there really aren't that many couples to chose from at any given time that would fit what he wanted to do on any level. I could see Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon, I guess. Although while I think Robbins would have been infinitely better in the lead role, Sarandon would have been a stretch for Kidman's part. No offense, Susan.

But end of the day, whatever chemistry Kubrick hoped to capture by using an actual married couple, I don't think it was worth having to use Cruise for that role. That's if you accept Cruise and Kidman as an actual married couple to begin with.

And also, you say it's his choice, but it's never really just the director's choice. 90% of casting is trying to attract investors, and then you try to choose the best option available from what the investors will lay money down for. That's why we have Keanu Reeves trying to single-handedly wreck Coppola's Dracula, for example. And Cruise is a guaranteed money draw.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
it's a poetic comparison. but it's valid. I was watching this movie with some short pussy guy working a bar like a prodigy, doing like the same trademark move over and over again.... then im thinking like.... there's a better VERSION of this SITUATION

If I cared about Cocktail and it wasnt 7 AM on a work day, there is a 33.67 percent chance I'd refute the comparison.

But I'm old and tired now so I'll just say 'fuckin' kids dont know shit these days' and retire to my porch and my rocker.

fake

15 Year Member
Cruise was his choice because he wanted to cast an actual married couple. If he'd made it in the 1960s, maybe it would have been Martin Landau and Barbara Bain. In the late 2000s, maybe he would have cast Pitt and Jolie (which would have been much worse). But there really aren't that many couples to chose from at any given time that would fit what he wanted to do on any level. I could see Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon, I guess. Although while I think Robbins would have been infinitely better in the lead role, Sarandon would have been a stretch for Kidman's part. No offense, Susan.

But end of the day, whatever chemistry Kubrick hoped to capture by using an actual married couple, I don't think it was worth having to use Cruise for that role. That's if you accept Cruise and Kidman as an actual married couple to begin with.

And also, you say it's his choice, but it's never really just the director's choice. 90% of casting is trying to attract investors, and then you try to choose the best option available from what the investors will lay money down for. That's why we have Keanu Reeves trying to single-handedly wreck Coppola's Dracula, for example. And Cruise is a guaranteed money draw.

Hmm, honestly I thought he worked for the role and I think Kidman was great. But I agree that the chemistry / strain of a married couple didn't come through. I'll need to watch it again.

Fair enough regarding the casting. I haven't read much about Eyes Wide Shut other than the occult tie-ins and the theme of Monarch Programming. But I'd be mildly surprised if Kubrick didn't get carte blanche on above-the-line cast and crew.

I saw BlacKkKlansman last night. It was really good - both very funny and wrenching. With Sorry to Bother You, I felt like some of it went over my head because I'm not black and haven't had the black experience. But BlacKkKlansman is much more straightforward -- a basic cop comedy but set to complex social issues. The big thing it focuses on is the incongruity of being black and being a cop as well as a black person pretending to be white.

They played a trailer for Mid '90s. I dislike Jonah Hill, but this looks really good, or at the very least it appeals to people like me who were the main character's age in the mid '90s: skateboarding, punk, metal, loitering at the 7-Eleven, etc.

fake

15 Year Member
I watched The Endless, which a coworker recommended. Waste of $5.

The story is that two brothers have left a UFO cult. The younger brother doesn't remember much of his time there. One day they get a tape in the mail with one of the members saying they were anticipating "the ascension" soon. The younger brother convinces the older brother to visit the cult before they all kill themselves. One day turns into two turns into three and weird things start happening.

Spoiler:

It turns out that the camp that the cult lives at is full of time slips which the UFO creates in order to torture the inhabitants. In other words, it's I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream but with a UFO instead of a computer. That's where things fall apart. There are people on the outskirts of the camp whose loop is only a few seconds or a few minutes long, and they're aware of the fact that they have to keep killing themselves or the UFO will kill them in a more painful manner.

The issue is that the main cult is for some reason not aware that they're part of a loop and they're loop is extremely long. I don't know why their loop differs from the others.

Also, on the way to the camp, the brothers find a memorial they left for their dead mother on the side of the road over ten years ago. They make a point to spell out that the items are in perfect condition. But we find out later that the memorial is outside of the time slips, so why are the item in perfect condition?

For a UFO movie, you barely even see a UFO; you only get one indirect glimpse of it. And for a horror movie, there aren't any scary parts.

You can tell it was a ragtag movie because almost all of the actors are in their 30s. They're probably either friends of the creators and then they hired a few decent actors for the main characters (namely Callie Hernandez). There's only one person over the age of 40 in the cast, and they attempt to explain this away by saying that the cult has a healthy diet. WTF?

This is the kind of "indie horror" that I don't like. Half-assed scripts that are created so a few boners can justify creating a movie, hoping they'll make it big. The Void has the same stink to it. These are in contrast to stuff like It Follows and Under the Skin, which are high quality in every respect, but work with a low budget.