Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The soundtracks to both Starry Eyes and Neon Demon are worth owning.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Lake Mungo
I watched this because it was mentioned in an article as being actually scary. But it's not. It's a mockumentary about a family whose daughter died and apparently haunted the house. To the movie's credit, the actors come off as very authentic. Their lines are all improvised and they don't look or sound like they're acting. But it's paced very slowly and there are very few moments that are actually scary.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Lake Mungo
I watched this because it was mentioned in an article as being actually scary. But it's not. It's a mockumentary about a family whose daughter died and apparently haunted the house. To the movie's credit, the actors come off as very authentic. Their lines are all improvised and they don't look or sound like they're acting. But it's paced very slowly and there are very few moments that are actually scary.

just watched the tailor. looks like something i would enjoy so going to give it a watch.

fake

15 Year Member
Häxan
Watched this three times over the past month. Once for the original 1922 version, once with Burroughs' voice over recut as Witchcraft Throughout History, and once more for the original with commentary. It's a really good example of early documentary filmmaking, but it also delves into editorial / narrative styles. The recreations and special effects are unsettling, but they're somewhat undermined by the classical score. I'd love to see this recut with a more sinister soundtrack, maybe something industrial. The Burroughs version has an avant garde jazz band playing instead of the orchestra, which works more in the film's favor, since the band improvises based on what's happening on-screen. The music never gets sinister enough to correspond to the devils on-screen, but at least it's more hectic than the orchestral score that was played alongside the original. While the movie does provide insight into witchcraft in the middle ages, it doesn't quite go into black magic, and it makes some erroneous claims (e.g., about how many people were unjustly killed for being witches). On top of that, it asserts that what was seen as witchcraft was a misinformed way of seeing "hysteria" back then. And obviously hysteria has been debunked for half a century... So, not surprisingly for a 1922 movie, it's out of date, but the real draw is the visuals. Definitely recommend.

Neon Demon
Finally watched this. It's exactly what you'd expect if you're familiar with / a fan of Refn: A thin plot, thin characters, really nice visuals, a great Cliff Martinez score, and a few moments from the New French Extremity that you won't forget anytime soon. I'd recommend it for Refn fans and fans of the "selling your soul to Hollywood" sub-sub-genre, but most people will probably think it's boring and will whine about style over substance. I'd love to see Refn make something almost universally praised like Drive again. (Though Drive's been accused of being an uninspired amalgam of a bunch of rip-offs, Driver being chief among them. It's one of my favorites regardless.)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've been killing some late night time by going over some older films I haven't seen in years. Friday night was Seven, which I haven't seen in easily over 10 years. The film has held up superbly, although I now see thing's a bit differently concerning the relationship between Pitt and Freeman, which was something I didn't expect.

Westworld. I watched this some tie ago. For the longest time, it was completely out of print so the only way I could get a copy of it on was Laserdisc. I bought a copy of it back in the early 2000s so my wife could watch it. I noticed it was put on a streaming service not too long ago, so I decided to watch it. For the most part, it's held up well. the Overall film has a great tone to it save the out of theme bar fight that oddly placed right smack dab in the middle of the film...complete with stupid cartoon'ish sound effects.

I watched Soylent Green this morning and the film holds up wonderfully giving it's age. If any of you haven't seen it, it's worth the watch despite the over used punch line.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The film has held up superbly, although I now see thing's a bit differently concerning the relationship between Pitt and Freeman, which was something I didn't expect.

Yes, it's not your average buddy-movie... joking aside, how did you saw it ten years ago? That means, 13 years after its release. I mean, films don't change, but we do.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yes, it's not your average buddy-movie... joking aside, how did you saw it ten years ago? That means, 13 years after its release. I mean, films don't change, but we do.

I actually saw it when it came out in theaters...bought a very early DVD of it (one you had to flip half way over) and watched it years back. You’re 100% correct, I’ve changed. It’s weird what I took from the film being older...

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
A Quiet Place: Loved the idea. Enjoyed how they worked the sounds. Liked the story. Hated the monster.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I actually saw it when it came out in theaters...bought a very early DVD of it (one you had to flip half way over) and watched it years back. You’re 100% correct, I’ve changed. It’s weird what I took from the film being older...

dude quit being vague and just say how your perception changed

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Just saw The Third Man on Netflix. It's a 1949 film noir shot and well acted. There's a a scene with Orson Welles that's simply unforgettable. This one is on my list now of best of film noir. Some of the camera work in this movie is unbelievable. The lighting and shadows, are probably in the best of genre category.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Man

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Just saw The Third Man on Netflix. It's a 1949 film noir shot and well acted. There's a a scene with Orson Welles that's simply unforgettable. This one is on my list now of best of film noir. Some of the camera work in this movie is unbelievable. The lighting and shadows, are probably in the best of genre category.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Man

Yeah, I'll take Third Man over Citizen Kane all day long.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
dude quit being vague and just say how your perception changed

Sorry...I wasn't trying to be.

I used to see Mills as more of a peer. Originally in my teens, then later in my 20's, Mills was more like I'd be. Irrational, quick to anger, not taking my time. Somerset was a very distant character at the time, I had little in common with him back then.

Now? With nearly 20 years in my profession, I see things differently. I work with young apprentices that are ram-rodders...all hot headed and impatient. I've been doing my job for so long, I've seen a ton of situations and solved a ton of problems. I'm more patient now, I take my time and I'm far more cool headed.

I feel closer to Somerset now than I do Mills. I see Mills as an annoying apprentice.

fake

15 Year Member
Enemy
Basically a Philip K Dick scenario. Guy notices an actor that looks just like himself and tracks him down. Jake Giffyhull does a great job of playing polar opposite characters, from his lines to his posture and disposition. There's some in-you-face symbolism that, despite being in-you-face, is pretty cryptic. Recommend.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Sorry...I wasn't trying to be.

I used to see Mills as more of a peer. Originally in my teens, then later in my 20's, Mills was more like I'd be. Irrational, quick to anger, not taking my time. Somerset was a very distant character at the time, I had little in common with him back then.

Now? With nearly 20 years in my profession, I see things differently. I work with young apprentices that are ram-rodders...all hot headed and impatient. I've been doing my job for so long, I've seen a ton of situations and solved a ton of problems. I'm more patient now, I take my time and I'm far more cool headed.

I feel closer to Somerset now than I do Mills. I see Mills as an annoying apprentice.
As no surprise to anyone, I always related to the Morgan Freeman character since the movie's initial release, and thought Brad Pitt's character was a worthless, irritating dumbass. Not as irritating as Kevin Spacey giving himself up before the detectives have time to actually solve anything, but still.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Well, Somerset is the one, who evolves and changes at the end, smashing down his metronome life philosophy along with his denial of being morally engaged in what he later concludes as a world "worth fighting for". Neither Mills nor Doe do. They both surrender, while Somerset decides to "be around", i.e. not to give up, which was his starting point, later leading to his change, thus appointing him the film's main protagonist.

At some points in life, we're offered the same choice, Somerset on one side, Mills/Doe on the other. Yet, in my opinion, no matter how we choose, ultimately all roads lead to the latter. There's a cool Paul Schrader line in The Yakuza:

"When an American cracks up, he opens up the window and shoots up a bunch of strangers. When a Japanese cracks up, he closes the window and kills himself."

I'd love to be Somerset, but that's about the only choice there is. We can always pretend, though. It's okay with me.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Agreed on both Enemy and The Third Man.

Funny Games- Absolute garbage. Great cast and some solid performances completely wasted with horrible direction and an even worse script. I have a feeling everyone thought they were going to be in some 70s exploitation revival and were duped.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Has anyone seen the movie Mandy starring Nicolas Cage? I just happened to click on it as I was browsing through Prime Video. I seen this last night and my mind was blown. LSD Tripping, Demon Bikers, Cult Worships, Chainsaw Battles, some real Gorey freaky shit.

I though Cage was solid in this movie. Probably the craziest role I've seen him play in a movie.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
lake mungo

meh, starts off as a family being haunted by the ghost of the dead daughter to a murder mystery and doesn't do a good job at it. the way they connect the characters together was also a little forced and a little silly. but it was an ok watch. not great, not terrible just an ok fake documentary.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Funny Games- Absolute garbage. Great cast and some solid performances completely wasted with horrible direction and an even worse script. I have a feeling everyone thought they were going to be in some 70s exploitation revival and were duped.

It's nihilistic, cynical, mean-spirited, all on purpose. The main point of the movie is to critique the viewer, who, presumably, enjoys movie violence more than Haneke believes is healthy.

The American remake is one of the weirder remakes I can think of, since Haneke himself made it and re-used his own script almost word-for-word.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Has anyone seen the movie Mandy starring Nicolas Cage? I just happened to click on it as I was browsing through Prime Video. I seen this last night and my mind was blown. LSD Tripping, Demon Bikers, Cult Worships, Chainsaw Battles, some real Gorey freaky shit.

I though Cage was solid in this movie. Probably the craziest role I've seen him play in a movie.

Crazy, no doubt, but I’d still say his role in Deadfall is the craziest.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Cages craziest role is in Bad Lieutenant 2.

It's nihilistic, cynical, mean-spirited, all on purpose. The main point of the movie is to critique the viewer, who, presumably, enjoys movie violence more than Haneke believes is healthy.

The American remake is one of the weirder remakes I can think of, since Haneke himself made it and re-used his own script almost word-for-word.

I get all that and have seen the original, I still think it's a piece of shit. Perhaps because it is an almost exact remake by the same director. Dunno just thought he would add something that would set it apart.

Pet- Another stinker. Crazy guy becomes obsessed with a woman, kidnaps and im-prisions her. Turns out she's crazier than he is. Obviously there's a little more to it than that but don't want to spoil anything if by chance you want to waste 90 min.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Nocturnal Animals

To be fair, I only picked this film up because it was directed by Tom Ford, didn't know he did cinema. In general, a great slice-of-life drama/thirller, in which a woman understands that she made a mistake. Also, the Boardwalk Empire FBI agent turned bootlegger jockey in a great role as a nihilistic Texas cop.

3/5

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The Drop...

Just watched this again... Tom Hardy and Tony Soprano are great in it...

I'd recommend it to anyone...

xROTx