Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Sucker Punch:

Emotionally tough to watch at times (my eyes peed a little), but, excellent. The fantasy action scenes (I liked the first battle against the giant samurai at the temple the best) and cinematography are impressive. The map/fire/knife/key quest is a bit forced at times, but, I understand it's necessity to tie things together. Enjoyed the soundtrack too; might look into buying a copy.

@M

20 Year Member
Does anything truly matter, Sage? Strawberries growing on cliff walls? Hungry tigers? Movie soundtracks? N64 debates? It's all dust in the wind.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Does anything truly matter, Sage? Strawberries growing on cliff walls? Hungry tigers? Movie soundtracks? N64 debates? It's all dust in the wind.

Nothing exists. Just gasp air until your eyes close forever. Eat the strawberry, drink the palm wine, and feed the cats. The end.

@M

20 Year Member
But, if nothing else, those Leprechaun movies meant something to the people that worked to create them. The money allowed them to live their lives, feed their children, etc. We have to find our pots of gold wherever we can.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
But, if nothing else, those Leprechaun movies meant something to the people that worked to create them. The money allowed them to live their lives, feed their children, etc. We have to find our pots of gold wherever we can.

Doesn't mean what they did was worthwhile.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Sucker Punch:

Emotionally tough to watch at times (my eyes peed a little), but, excellent.
Okay. The last time I ever took seriously anything you have to say was officially the day before you posted this.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeaaahhh... Sucker Punch is one of the biggest, messiest, hollow turds to ever be shat out by hollywood. A cacophony of noise, CG and failure on every level.

The Lighthouse- Finally watched this and enjoyed isn't exactly the right word but it was definitely worth watching. I highly doubt I'll ever watch it again but am glad I did. Not to spoil anything but Defoe has a speech in one scene that is amazing, truly frightening stuff and a true testament to his ability.

Highly recommend if you like Lynch, Tsukamoto etc. If you like The Witch (the directors other well know movie) you should check this out but be warned it isn't easy to get through.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I didn’t enjoy it, but I think that was the point. Eggers isn’t about giving a nice story or a film, but generating a visceral reaction for the viewer. And I think that’s where art and design diverge. The Witch was amazing for the atmos-fear so to speak. Black Peter was the best non human character in movie I have seen.

Lighthouse rubbed me the wrong way, if you know what I mean. And I still don’t full understand what I was seeing.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah it was a rough watch. The claustrophobia, the oppressively miserable day to day work, the weather, the isolation. All of which are enhanced by the sound design, the choice to shoot in black and white and especially the aspect ration. All very effective but not enjoyable in the least. And yeah I'm not sure exactly what happened but I don't think that really matters as much as the sum of it's parts.

The Witch is re-watchable but equally oppressive in it's misery, isolation and slowly unraveling sanity except you can tell what actually happening most of the time. It's also one of the most accurate representations of what the weather is like in a huge portion of the US for big portion of the year. That dead grey bleakness that sets in after fall stops being pretty and immediately turns into constant depression that just keeps going until spring.

@M

20 Year Member
Watchmen:

Pretty faithful and enjoyable adaptation of the comics, except for the ending, which I feel the movie improved on while still maintaining the general narrative (framing Dr. Manhattan instead of that ridiculous faux giant alien that Moore came up with is so much better and logical). I must have missed the opening when I first saw this, years ago, because I don't remember seeing the montage images of what happened to their Minutemen predecessors, so, I got a kick out of that this time. I really like this film, but, I have to wonder how I'd feel about it if I'd never read the original work first? I've definitely seen enough glowing blue dick for one afternoon though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeaaahhh... Sucker Punch is one of the biggest, messiest, hollow turds to ever be shat out by hollywood. A cacophony of noise, CG and failure on every level.

The Lighthouse- Finally watched this and enjoyed isn't exactly the right word but it was definitely worth watching. I highly doubt I'll ever watch it again but am glad I did. Not to spoil anything but Defoe has a speech in one scene that is amazing, truly frightening stuff and a true testament to his ability.

Highly recommend if you like Lynch, Tsukamoto etc. If you like The Witch (the directors other well know movie) you should check this out but be warned it isn't easy to get through.
Yeah, Witch was great. And I couldn't believe the daughter was the same actor as Queen's Gambit. The couple years between the two projects doesn't seem long enough for her to look and feel like such a completely different person.

Speaking of Defoe, At Eternity's Gate was pretty great as well. He was born to play van Gogh. Oscar Isaac is solid as Gauguin, too. Like the Witch chick, he's another actor who seems unrecognizable between projects.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, I watched AEG awhile ago, I think I posted about it here. He's also great in The Hunter which is a movie I never see or hear mentioned. Apparently he also did the narration on a doc about Gauguin. I never realized he did so much voice work until I just looked on IMDB.

Watched a doc on HP Lovecraft. Had some pretty good interviews with Del Toro, Stuart Gordon and Carpenter aside from that it sucked. Very amateurish with some really bad editing, narration and music that was just god awful. It's on Prime if anybody wants to watch it. Though I'd just skip everything aside from when the afore mentioned directors are talking.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I liked AEG, but for me, it was Schnabel's third best movie. Diving Bell and the Butterfly at number 2, and Basquiat in first. Diving Bell can be hard to watch. But I have watched Basquiat over and over like how a kid would watch Land Before Time or some other chicken nugget dinner.

@M

20 Year Member
Hellboy: Sword of Storms

The animation is only Western Saturday morning cartoon quality, but, if you like both Hellboy and youkai, it's worth a watch. They got the film actors to do the voices too. I wouldn't recommend it if you have epilepsy though, the lightning effects at the end are a bit much, they even started to give me a headache.

@M

20 Year Member
Probably not, but, flashing lights mess with some people. I don't deal well with strobe lights either. I was drinking at a friend's apartment one time, when I was younger, he put his on, and I had to go outside, it was making me ill.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Watchmen:

Pretty faithful and enjoyable adaptation of the comics, except for the ending, which I feel the movie improved on while still maintaining the general narrative (framing Dr. Manhattan instead of that ridiculous faux giant alien that Moore came up with is so much better and logical). I must have missed the opening when I first saw this, years ago, because I don't remember seeing the montage images of what happened to their Minutemen predecessors, so, I got a kick out of that this time. I really like this film, but, I have to wonder how I'd feel about it if I'd never read the original work first? I've definitely seen enough glowing blue dick for one afternoon though.

Its my favorite adaptation really. I read the comic first too and felt it was well represented. Only snyder work that felt like it had any semblance of meaning. I'm not some comic book villain was pretty refreshing as well. Comedian's performance was good before walking dead overhyped him to all hell.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I liked AEG, but for me, it was Schnabel's third best movie. Diving Bell and the Butterfly at number 2, and Basquiat in first. Diving Bell can be hard to watch. But I have watched Basquiat over and over like how a kid would watch Land Before Time or some other chicken nugget dinner.

Thanks, I had completely forgotten about the Diving Bell. I'm twitching just thinking about it.
Great Story tho.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
So the last actual movie I saw in a theater was a while ago. It was the new Pet Sematary that came out in April 2019. I was hyping up this movie so much in my head, because Pet Sematary the novel and Pet Sematary (1989) are my favorite book and movie of all time. This movie had no shot of beating out those two versions of the story. All I kept doing throughout the movie was I kept comparing its pros and cons to the original 1989 film. First of all that's a bad idea from the start as the original Pet Sematary barring a couple missing characters is one of the most faithful adaptations to a King book.
This is how my checklist went:
Was the opening credit scene better than the original? Hell fucking no. The original let you know right from the get go that you were in a nightmarish horror movie. Pet Sematary 2019 started the way a Lifetime movie would.
Was the musical score better? Again, hell fucking no. The original's score was haunting, creepy, foreboding, sad, depressing and disturbing. This new score did jack shit for me.
Were certain characters better this time. Honestly, I think only Jason Clark as Louis Creed and Jete Lawrence as Ellie Creed were an improvement. Every other character in the new film felt hollow.
Was the blood and gore better? Nope.
Was it more disturbing? It's no contest. The original legitimately leaves you disturbed and unnerved. This remake only annoyed.
Was the area beyond the Pet Sematary better? That is only one bright spot where I can say yes, it was much closer to the book.
How did I feel about the change in Children being killed off in this movie? It only showed that A. Paramount was never ever going to find a 2 year old that could play Gage like Miko Hughes and come off convincing. Also them killing off Ellie, a much older child showed how pussified theyve become that they wouldn't attempt to show the death of a 2 year old to an eighteen wheeler. Total cop out.
Zelda. Which version was better? The Zelda from the 1989 film was nightmare fuel and so disturbing. There was no way in hell they were ever going to come close to that effect, and they failed miserably.
Victor Pascow: This is supposed to be the ghost that comes back from beyond the dead to try and warn Louis. The guy they used in the remake barely had any screentime. Where as Brad Greenquist in the original was disgusting to look at, scary but had a sense of humor to him. Almost like the Jack character in An American Werewolf In London.
Lastly the ending. I wont give anything away major, but it was a HUGE departure from the source material. Infuriatingly so. The original followed the ending down word for printed word.

Overall, I hated this movie. I still hate it with a passion. The people who did the IT movies should have been in charge of this project. This film was rushed, and lacked everything possitive the book and original movie had. I dont recommend it to anyone, In fact i would go as far as to say Pet Sematary 2 (1992) was a far more entertaining movie, even with lame ass Edward Furlong.

Last edited:

@M

20 Year Member
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Overall, I liked it. Aside from being its' own story, it's a fairly good bridge between Man of Steel and Justice League--I particularly liked that it showed what the human cost would really be when beings like Superman and Zod throw down in a major city at the beginning. Jesse Eisenberg works as Luthor sometimes, but, other times not; on one hand, it's interesting to see a different take on the character, on the other, his Lex is too effeminate and fruity. Doomsday needed more spikes, but making him out of Zod's corpse was interesting--he reminded me more of a LotR troll than anything in this film.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I saw Zootopia on a past weekend and it made me promptly think back of Futurama's Tofu Lion. Also Mike Nichols' abysmal Day of the Dolphin. So yeah, this animated feature was also a load of bull, but at least an entertaining one.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Overall, I liked it. Aside from being its' own story, it's a fairly good bridge between Man of Steel and Justice League--I particularly liked that it showed what the human cost would really be when beings like Superman and Zod throw down in a major city at the beginning. Jesse Eisenberg works as Luthor sometimes, but, other times not; on one hand, it's interesting to see a different take on the character, on the other, his Lex is too effeminate and fruity. Doomsday needed more spikes, but making him out of Zod's corpse was interesting--he reminded me more of a LotR troll than anything in this film.

M, I don’t know if I should be worried. Many members would be suffering, but not you.