Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Suicide Squad:

Some people hate on this movie, but, I really like it. Wish Killer Croc, Captain Boomerang, and Katana got more character development/back story/attention though. I watched this online illegally, maybe 2 years ago, and Batman told me I had to make it right by supporting our economy and buying a legit copy, or he was going to fuck me up, so, I did.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Suicide Squad:

Some people hate on this movie, but, I really like it. Wish Killer Croc, Captain Boomerang, and Katana got more character development/back story/attention though. I watched this online illegally, maybe 2 years ago, and Batman told me I had to make it right by supporting our economy and buying a legit copy, or he was going to fuck me up, so, I did.

Suicide Squad is a movie with a bunch of cool scenes that don't add up to a coherent or good movie. There's an alternate cut that is marginally better but it's not nearly as drastic of an improvement as the Ultimate Cut of Batman vs Superman was over the theatrical cut.

@M

20 Year Member
Harlem Nights:

Never seen this one before, but, so far, it's my favorite out of the Eddie Murphy movies DVD set I bought. Richard Pryor. Redd Foxx, and Della Reese (real switch for me to see her acting like this when I'm only used to her in Touched by an Angel) were enjoyable. The opening craps game scene with the dude missing his front teeth was the highlight for me. It's a pretty solid mafia/crime movie in addition to being a comedy too.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Suicide Squad is a movie with a bunch of cool scenes that don't add up to a coherent or good movie. There's an alternate cut that is marginally better but it's not nearly as drastic of an improvement as the Ultimate Cut of Batman vs Superman was over the theatrical cut.

Basically every comic book movie. All are shit, for people with terrible taste.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Basically every comic book movie. All are shit, for people with terrible taste.
Ghost World was decent. Dredd was okay. Oldboy was good. History of Violence wasn't bad. I like Danger: Diabolik. And who could forget Catwoman?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ghost World was decent. Dredd was okay. Oldboy was good. History of Violence wasn't bad. I like Danger: Diabolik. And who could forget Catwoman?

Yeah, I was just trolling famicommando. Dredd was the best movie of the past decade by a huge margin.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Talon Falls

Hostel in a Halloween scare house. It's okay, Prime gave it 3 1/2☆ while I'd say it's 3.

I Didn't Come Here To Die

This I really liked. Volunteers working on a future summer camp, have accidents and make bad decisions. Horror with a few laughs.

Last edited:

@M

20 Year Member
Coming to America:

Finished off the last movie in my recent Eddie Murphy collection purchase. I've seen parts of this on TV over the years, but, hadn't watched it, start-to-finish, uncensored, until today. Pretty good stuff. I never picked up on that Eddie started playing multiple characters in makeup this early in his career until now; I always thought that started with Nutty Professor. It's a shame Arsenio Hall didn't act in more movies too. The two geezers from Trading Places is a nice Easter egg as well.

I think I'm all Eddie Murphied out for a while, but, maybe I'll pick up the Beverly Hills Cop collection in the near future too.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Little Things - Jared Leto stole every scene he was in, which is saying something when the leads are Denzel Washington and Rami Malek. Quite enjoyed it, much better outing for the Warner/HBO experiment than Wonder Woman 1984 was.

The Endless - the atmosphere and tone kept me watching it. For two guys generally lauded as "smart" filmmakers, Morehead and Benson leave some odd plot holes just kind of hanging out there. I don't regret watching it, but I also don't really recommend it.

And rewatched The Return of the Living Dead - still pretty great, as has been noted around these parts on various occasions.

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Watched a HK classic last night: A Chinese Ghost Story. What a wild movie and MY GOD IS WANG ZUXIAN (Joey Wang from City Hunter) A GODDESS.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Watched a HK classic last night: A Chinese Ghost Story. What a wild movie and MY GOD IS WANG ZUXIAN (Joey Wang from City Hunter) A GODDESS.

She's gorgeous. Just yesterday I was watching God of Gamblers, again and she's pretty good in that also.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The Endless - the atmosphere and tone kept me watching it. For two guys generally lauded as "smart" filmmakers, Morehead and Benson leave some odd plot holes just kind of hanging out there. I don't regret watching it, but I also don't really recommend it.

Yeah, that movie is kinda shit, IMO, even though independent filmmakers regard it as a gem / want to emulate its success.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The Little Things - Jared Leto stole every scene he was in, which is saying something when the leads are Denzel Washington and Rami Malek. Quite enjoyed it, much better outing for the Warner/HBO experiment than Wonder Woman 1984 was.

And rewatched The Return of the Living Dead - still pretty great, as has been noted around these parts on various occasions.

Endless was great. Enjoyed it a lot. I like movies that explore time and dimensions.

The Little Things was trash.

@M

20 Year Member
A History of Violence:

I didn't care for this one (got it in a 3-pack with Watchmen & Sucker Punch). I almost turned it off when the sobbing little girl was shot and killed in the opening scene--I know it's just a movie, but, shit like that does not sit well with me. I also had a problem with him physically assaulting his wife on a staircase and her response was to fuck him--that's a pretty messed up. I didn't really buy that things were "over" at the end either, his wife and kids accepting him back and that the mob wasn't going to keep sending people to wipe him out (I find it very unlikely that his brother hadn't told his superiors he'd finally located his sibling and where he was hiding). Yeah, it's based on a graphic novel, and I know it got a lot of rave reviews, but, it wasn't a very believable story to me--the characters often didn't behave like I felt real people would. It's not a horrid movie, but, not my cup of tea.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Synchronic
B movie premise with A- movie production. It goes between being a cheap movie, and a high budget existential art piece. The two blend quite oddly. I enjoyed it enough to stay off my phone, but mostly because I was just quite puzzled by the presentation.

The Little Things
Not much bad to say about this one. Denzel plays old school cool. This is mostly just a cop movie, but with phenomenal character building. Every scene you peel away the onion on both the characters and the crimes. Agree with the comment above regarding Jared Leto. Denzel is the main character, but Jared Leto is your focus any time is he is on.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
A History of Violence:

I didn't care for this one (got it in a 3-pack with Watchmen & Sucker Punch)..
Good lord, you buy that 3-pack and History of Violence is the one you complain about? Holy fuck.

@M

20 Year Member
I have watched (and read) Watchmen in the past, but, I've only seen maybe 10-15 minutes of Suckerpunch on TV, HBO I think, when I was channel surfing some years ago, not enough to form an opinion, one way or another, yet. As is sometimes the case, I'm more familiar with the toys (Hot Toys' 12" figures of two of the women, the blonde and the Asian) than the film and wouldn't have even known what I was watching on HBO otherwise. I mainly bought the set for Watchmen and why buy one movie when you can get three for close to the same price.

I really need to stop buying DVDs. I picked up four more multi-disc sets [the two newest TMNT films, all five of the Michael Bay Transformers movies, The Green Mile/Shawshank Redemption combo pack, and a Surf's Up/The Pirates: Band of Misfits/Planet 51 triple feature (I don't even fucking know why, other than it was cheap and I have the DS Surf's Up and Planet 51 video games {essentially Mario Kart on water and kids Grand Theft Auto Lite, respectively}--I must have a penguin fetish or something)] at the local Walmart store on Monday, then ordered another twenty-six, most of them multi-disc sets, from their website, later that same evening. Even if I watched one a day, which I don't have time to do, I doubt I could view all the movies I've purchased recently by the end of the year (might have to take a vacation just to make a dent in the pile). I even seriously considered buying the Nanny McPhee movies, but didn't, Crom help me. Crom: " Go fuck thyself."

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I think your fetish is buying shit movies. Should have just bought a handful go great titles you can rewatch.

If you can return any of that junk I would highly recommend it.

You have problems bro.

Anyhoo... I watch the Batman 66' movie last night. I had forgotten how funny it is. I have the TV series boxset and have been re-watching it. I used to watch it in syndication as a kid and loved it, knowing it was corny as fuck but still into the cliff hangers. I also had a huge crush on Barbra Gordon. The movie isn't as good as some of the better episodes but it's worth a watch if you're in the right mood.

@M

20 Year Member
Shit is subjective and I can't really judge if a movie is shit or not until I actually watch it, plus I tend to enjoy shit.
Shit?

P.S. I love Adam West Batman too.

@M

20 Year Member
I'm not exaggerating much when I say it's going to take me all year, or longer, to watch what I've purchased in the last couple of months alone. 8 Leprechaun movies, 8 Nightmare on Elm Street films, 8 Friday the 13th ones, and 8 SAW movies, that's more than a month's worth of viewing right there in 4 collections and just the tip of the iceberg [I picked up Final Destination, The Hobbit, Blade, Smoky and the Bandit (who knew there was 7 of those fucking things?) Matrix, Resident Evil, Highlander, Robocop, TMNT, Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, etc. collections too]. I keep telling myself to only buy single films, but, the box sets are too enticing. I have difficulty doing anything in moderation.