Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Just saw Salo, 120 days of sodom. What a ride! Though I still reckon A Serbian Film eclipses it.

edit: Please do your research before you watch these films. You have been warned.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
If someone watches those movies thanks to your post, that would make you a fucking asshole and horrible person. Consider editing your post.

I donā€™t feel like anyone just stumbles onto those films. I never got through either and wonā€™t bother trying to these days.

Watched Lost Highway again for the tenth or so time. Still probably my favourite Lynch film, so many classic scenes and an undeniable sense of dread, especially in Fredā€™s reality/unreality. A true horror/thriller.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I donā€™t feel like anyone just stumbles onto those films. I never got through either and wonā€™t bother trying to these days.

Watched Lost Highway again for the tenth or so time. Still probably my favourite Lynch film, so many classic scenes and an undeniable sense of dread, especially in Fredā€™s reality/unreality. A true horror/thriller.
Yeah, I don't think M is just going to order those from Walmart.com and I highly doubt they're on any normal streaming service.

Lost Highway is great, tied as my favorite Lynch film with Mulholland Dr.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I suspect the reason M is watching those pathetic kid films is because he DID watch Lachlanā€™s recommendations, and now needs eye bleach for the rest of his life.
You know I went into Salo expecting far worse, what opinions I had read about it certainly made it out to be the most horrific film ever produced. What a let down in that regard, sure what is depicted is disgusting and the situation itself is disturbing but I feel the sum of it's parts have been represented elsewhere before. Hence it's fairly tame visually, probably don't watch if your empathy response is triggered by the nightly news.

A Serbian Film is in my opinion far worse in assaulting the senses, I seriously feel like something was ripped off after watching that film. Not sure if it was a good idea or not!

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I suspect the reason M is watching those pathetic kid films is because he DID watch Lachlanā€™s recommendations, and now needs eye bleach for the rest of his life.
I seldom watch any of the DVDs I buy, maybe 5%. I like movies, but, I don't have the time. I could watch a movie while I build LEGOs, but, I like to focus my attention on one or the other, not multitask.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Hey man, there is a damaged af woman out there who will tolerate a grown man who is into shitty lego items, but like, you could do a lot better.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Lost Highway is great, tied as my favorite Lynch film with Mulholland Dr.
Need to watch this, thanks for reminding me. Borrowed it a long time ago , watched the first half hour or so and had to give it back... was always one I wanted to actually watch

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Hey man, there is a damaged af woman out there who will tolerate a grown man who is into shitty lego items, but like, you could do a lot better.
Nah, I'm damaged goods myself, can't afford to be too picky anymore.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Disney/Pixar's Luca.

It was a cute movie. Not as good/heart rending as Coco, but still a fun watch.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Images
An almost great "crazy lady gets crazier" movie. Really cool scenery of an Irish vacation house in the mountains. Kinda felt like Repulsion. I think this was the first Altman movie I've watched.

Season of the Witch
Made for TV vibe, but worth watching. A housewife gets occult-curious and uses spells to improve her life.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Felt the need to jump back into Middle Earth. I haven't watched them since the original extended DVD's were released, so something like 15 years. I debated on theatrical vs extended. Peter Jackson even says the theatrical are the better versions, but I'll opt for the extended just for the novelty.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Itā€™s the 20th anniversary of the Fellowship of the Ring later this year. I wonder if weā€™ll get a rerelease or anything.

Damn, canā€™t believe itā€™s been that long.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Itā€™s the 20th anniversary of the Fellowship of the Ring later this year. I wonder if weā€™ll get a rerelease or anything.

Damn, canā€™t believe itā€™s been that long.
I feel like 2/3 of that twenty years was watching the fucking thing. I've watched longer movies in a theater, but none have felt like it.

I'd actually like to watch those movies again, if they could just CGI some other actor's face over Elijah Wood (and dub someone else's voice). Everyone else was fine or better, but I could not stand him in those movies.

You watch all 9 hours (or whatever it is) of those LotR movies, and the ENTIRE time, Elijah Wood only ever has one of TWO expressions on his face:

1. About to cry.

OR

2. Just got done crying.

Holy shit, that got old fast, and it lasted forever. I mean, I know Frodo is written pretty one-note in the books, but come the fuck on. Look what Sean Bean did with even less in the case of Boromir! If Frodo was one note in the books, Boromir was one-quarter of one note. But Sean Bean managed to convey multiple things in the short time he had in the movie. It's called acting, asshole.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Wrong Turn (reboot) - I liked this far, far more than I was expecting to. I'd guess that most fans of the originals would say the same, i.e. you get more out of it if you go in with the incorrect assumption about what it's going to be. Hard to say much more than that without spoiling things, but suffice to say highly recommended for fans of the originals, probably still decent fun for people who've never seen the other, what, six?

Nobody - just make it a proper John Wick spin-off or crossover or whatever and be done with it. So similar, same writer, but somehow bored me. I liked RZA and Lloyd, I'd lean into them (like Winston and Charon and the Council and all the other silliness) and make it more fun.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I would hope the Tolkien Estate would not let JRRā€™s work be made in to some ā€œwokeā€ drivel.

There already exists a rabid group of degenerates who argue the portrayal of Orcs and other fantasy species as monolithic and inherently evil is simply one more aspect of institutional racism.

My counter argument is that a.) theyā€™re retarded and b.) they can get fucked.

Reactions: Syn

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Fievel Goes West was a fantastic sequel. Even eclipses the original.

Also Fellowship was the best lotr movie. It had a satisfying beginning, middle and end. And didn't drag.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Pretty sure the only thing you're gonna get out of the Middle Earth-i-verse anytime soon is that Amazon TV series where everyone will suddenly be a minority and if you think that's strange, you're a piece of shit.
Tranny elves? Or just brown people?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Disney/Pixar's Luca.

It was a cute movie. Not as good/heart rending as Coco, but still a fun watch.
This was garbage. Probably the worst Pixar film Iā€™ve seen, and Iā€™ve been subjected to them all countless times.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
If a kryptonite for Sylvie exists, its overly sentimental animated feature films especially ones that are 3D, and especially ones by Pixar