Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Not like that Will Ferrell John C Reilly Sherlock Holmes debacle.
Did not know this existed and just looked it up... far worse than I expected and that was very little.

The only Sherlock Holmes adaptation I really enjoy are the TV movies with Jeremy Brett.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Did not know this existed and just looked it up... far worse than I expected and that was very little.

The only Sherlock Holmes adaptation I really enjoy are the TV movies with Jeremy Brett.
Yeah, they're the best by a wide margin. Although as Brett got sicker toward the end of his life, the quality dips a little. I also grew up watching reruns of the Basil Rathbone movies, and some of those still hold up very well. Although Watson is portrayed a little too bufoonish for my taste compared to the original books, and I'm not crazy about how some of the movies were set in then modern day rather than the 1800s.

But for Holmes reimagined as mindless action movies, the Guy Ritchie films work better than they should. Some things are painfully anachronistic, like Holmes in the 1880s would never go out of the house with 2 day stubble on his face. That just wouldn't happen. And RDJ's accent is dubious at best. But the rest is fun enough. And Jude Law's Watson is probably closer to the literary character than Nigel Bruce in the Rathbone movies. Some of the things in the Guy Ritchie movies that seem like wild departures from the source material are actually more like extrapolations of things that were referenced very obliquely in the texts. So, whatever. It's not too different to me than being a fan of the Flemming Bond novels, but still being able to enjoy a Roger Moore movie.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The main problem I had in the Ritchie movies are the ridiculous action set pieces. M's not far off with the Pirates of the Caribbean reference.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The main problem I had in the Ritchie movies are the ridiculous action set pieces. M's not far off with the Pirates of the Caribbean reference.
Yeah, I've never watched any of those, so I can't comment. And the Guy Ritchie movies are dumb. As all of his movies have been dumb. Someone may try to list an exception, but I would then reject that person as being dumb. But a dumb movie is not always the worst thing in the world. Ridiculous and absurd are often not that far apart, and I enjoy absurdity.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You totally should, they're awesome. I promise.
Summer of 2003, I clearly remember Pirates of the Caribbean coming out of fucking nowhere. Depp's performance was worthy, man. Oozing with charisma. Never bothered with the sequels though.

Summer of 2003 kicked ass. Should make a War Room thread on that.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah it was a great idea to make an entire series of movies based on a shitty Disney ride. Just like making a movie out the Battleship game or making a video game out of the Dominoes Pizza mascot.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
New DVDs.
View attachment 50375
The Dark Tower

I love the Stephen King novels, and knew, going in, that there was no way a single movie would be able to do the epic source material justice and managed my expectations accordingly. I think the two biggest problems are that they tried to shoehorn in too many elements, from multiple books, at once (omitting and changing a lot too), and that they focused more on Jake than Roland. Unless you're going to do a huge, multi-movie affair, a TV series would have been a more realistic approach. All that said, I did like the film, but, I think people who haven't read the books, and don't already know what's supposed to be going on, would have a very different experience than I did. Idris Elba made for a decent Roland and Matthew McConaughey was a great Man in Black--his portrayal and powers struck me as more Sith Lord than sorcerer though. Bonus making-of featurettes and bloopers were OK too. Satisfying in some ways, disappointing in others, I give it 7/10 cans of Nozz-A-La Cola.

Just FYI, the movie may be a sequel to the book series.

It’s unclear which part of the cycle we’re viewing Roland on. In the movie He has the horn he gets at the end of the books.

Take that for what you will.

Still not great storytelling.

Is Amazon ever going to come out with their adaptation of the 4th book?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

Was watching a lot of movies in the weekend (I have a lot to catch up to! been a long while since I sat down to watch movies) and I watched some Carpenter kino. I rewatched Assault on Precinct 13 and its as good as I remember, really cool, gritty "last stand" type of movie. The movie isn't available in any streaming service over here so I just watched a bluray rip on Youtube (yeah, really). I posted it above but I think peeps in the US won't be able to see it.

I really don't understand why John Carpenter's best output was panned by critics of the time, Precinct 13 is one of those really well realized low-budget movies in the spirit of Night of the Living Dead, the plot is highly engaging and cinematography is on point (except the silencer pistol shot sfx). If not for The Thing I'd say this is his best movie.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, BTILC is up there, it's definitely the most fun, It's the only one with an actual attractive female.

The Thing is numero uno though.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, BTILC is up there, it's definitely the most fun, It's the only one with an actual attractive female.

The Thing is numero uno though.
I tried to watch The Thing, but the suspense killed me. I’m a pansy when it comes to good horror. Slasher pics do nothing to me, but I was afraid of The Thing, and later on Dreamcatcher.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The Conjuring 4

Worst one yet. Which is saying something.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Not that the last few Conjuring movies were particularly good, but they weren't terrible IIRC. Devil Made Me Do It was completely awful. Farmiga and Wilson tried, but with a script as boring as that one, Brando ain't saving it.

Oxygen (the French one) - I was expecting better from Aja. Bad.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Ok conjuring 3. It sucks. Fixed.
Conjuring 1 was actually good. Second one was trash.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Just FYI, the movie may be a sequel to the book series.

It’s unclear which part of the cycle we’re viewing Roland on. In the movie He has the horn he gets at the end of the books.

Take that for what you will.

Still not great storytelling.

Is Amazon ever going to come out with their adaptation of the 4th book?
I didn't catch that horn detail when I watched it, but, yeah, with alternate worlds and Roland doomed to keep repeating the cycle over-and-over again, the film interpretation could arguably be just as legitimate as the books' storyline from that perspective.

IMG_20210621_132715697_37.jpg
New DVDs. I saw the first All Dogs Go To Heaven animated film when I was a kid, but, I don't think I've ever seen the second one. Never watched either Amazing Spider-Man movie either, just the previous Tobey Maguire Spider-man trilogy (which I also bought a DVD set of awhile back). Flatliners just looked good to me in a promotional preview on another DVD I recently watched.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I watched the movie I mentioned earlier the Curse of la llorna (whatever it's called) it has the priest from Anabelle in it but it really did nothing new and had the same old scares. A Mexican lady married the man of her dreams, had 2 kids, caught him with another woman, killed the 2 kids and became an evil spirit, killing children.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Flatliners just looked good to me in a promotional preview on another DVD I recently watched.
The original is great and I love it. Great cast, atmosphere and generally very creepy, one of the few things Schumacher absolutely nailed. The remake is one of the worst ever made. Just horrible, do yourself a favor and watch the original and throw that remake right into the garbage.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The original is great and I love it. Great cast, atmosphere and generally very creepy, one of the few things Schumacher absolutely nailed. The remake is one of the worst ever made. Just horrible, do yourself a favor and watch the original and throw that remake right into the garbage.
He's an American. He feels the need to spend money on shit he doesn't need constantly. Mao bless.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
He's an American. He feels the need to spend money on shit he doesn't need constantly. Mao bless.
You know damn well there's a lot more to his problems than that.

What I don't understand is that Walmart has just as big of a selection of movies as Best Buy and other competitors but he purposely buy absolute shit. Because he gets off on it and thinks it's funny.

Same as the Lego sets, he just buys tons of garbage instead of something really nice and worth owning.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Whether it's stories about banging grannies or buying dodgy DVDs, you never know for sure if M is trolling us or not. This is why he is a valued member of neo-geo.com.