Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Woof. That explains a lot. It generally takes several high profile failures before a writer gets thrown out on their ass (or at least relegated to smaller projects/TV).
It's weird how she exploded on the scene, though. She's young, only has maybe 5 writing credits total including Flash, and after her first two (both were commercial and critical failures) was given three Summer should've-been-blockbusters from major studios back to back to back. Based on no experience and zero track record. Inexplicable.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's weird how she exploded on the scene, though. She's young, only has maybe 5 writing credits total including Flash, and after her first two (both were commercial and critical failures) was given three Summer should've-been-blockbusters from major studios back to back to back. Based on no experience and zero track record. Inexplicable.
:dogeface:

edit: I'm curious how the box office for Flash will be here because they're going all out for advertising here. Saw posters for it at bus stops which I have rarely seen post-covid. And my social media had Keaton telling people to watch it.

Anyway, in the end, who tf cared about DC movies after Batman VS Superman.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Nah, Flash is actually cool.

I’m with you though @basic - I’m done with comic book movies for now. I really enjoyed what Marvel did with the MCU but that run, for me, was over with Endgame.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Nah, Flash is actually cool.

I’m with you though @basic - I’m done with comic book movies for now. I really enjoyed what Marvel did with the MCU but that run, for me, was over with Endgame.
I still want to see Black Panther 2 eventually, but yeah.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I still want to see Black Panther 2 eventually, but yeah.

I wouldn't bother. Other than the somber moments celebrating Boseman, it's three hours of overwrought garbage. YMMV, of course.

I mean that smells like nepotism but it could just be Hollywood desperately trying to prop up women and minorities.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Serial Mom- A John Waters movie about a serial killer housewife starring Kathleen Turner. Why not? This is fairly tame compared to some of Waters' other movies but it still feels distinctly his. It definitely has his unique distaste for suburbia and subversion of pop culture. Kathleen Turner is great and seems to be having a lot of fun. Solid supporting cast with a handful of Waters' regulars popping up throughout. It's super 90s and takes from a lot of the decades trends like celebrity trials, made for TV movies and seems almost quaint compared to how things are now. It's not a great movie but it's fun with some great performances and John Waters satirical edge is still pretty sharp.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
:dogeface:

edit: I'm curious how the box office for Flash will be here because they're going all out for advertising here. Saw posters for it at bus stops which I have rarely seen post-covid. And my social media had Keaton telling people to watch it.

Anyway, in the end, who tf cared about DC movies after Batman VS Superman.
The Joker

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Chow Yun Fat was seen running around 6AM at a park near me, I'll go tomorrow morning to see if he is there, anyone want me to say something to him
I thought he gtfo of there after the HK protests

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Rollerball- A truly unique sci-fi, sports, social commentary dystopian epic that could only have been made in the 70s. With fantastic art direction that's up there with A Clockwork Orange that is distinctly of the decade but never comes across as corny. A solid understated performance from James Caan. The Rollerball scenes themselves are still remarkably visceral and exciting. The score is also excellent. Though the social commentary and some of the dystopian ideas are a bit far fetched but they work in the world the movie creates. It's not quite a masterpiece but it's certainly original and effective at what it sets out to do. My only real problem with it is that it's a bit long, clocking in at over 2 hours. Still it's a hell of a movie. Highly recommended.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Gumbahray, Toh kee oh!

Rollerball is fucking awesome, they NAILED the match scenes so well you actually believe they’re playing rollerball and fucking each other up running after that ball. A bit too long though, I agree.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Behind the Card- A "documentary" on the sports and collectible card scene. This is super weird. I thought it was going to be an actual doc on the history and popularity of card collecting. It is not, actually it's an hour and a half long investment pitch. It's literally just a bunch of hucksters, idiots and actual criminals desperately trying to sell ultra high end card collecting as a viable and extremely profitable investment. Everything from buying boxes at the local Target and flipping them to people splitting ownership of multi-million dollar cards like they were stock. Of course what modern scam would be complete without NFTs? Well don't worry they've got that covered as well lol.

In fact they even cite NFTs as proof of the sustainability of collectables in general as being totally loss proof due to modern safeguards. Whoops. I find it funny that almost everyone they interview just got into the hobby in the last couple years. That just happens to coincide with Covid, kind of like graded games, shitcoins and NFTs. What a surprise.

What's really weird is that the "documentary" addresses the inevitable market crash as well as blatant market manipulation and outright scamming but it doesn't take any of that seriously. They just kind of plow through those points and keep hammering the fool proof investment angle.

Just like every other big dollar collectors hobby these days it's total horse shit, all speculation, manipulation and greed. Same as graded games, NFTs, crypto etc. Imagine that...

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Maniac Cop 2- A superior sequel but not by much. Part slasher and part police drama, there are a lot of things to like in this one. There's some pretty legit car stunts and chases, gun fights, plenty of T&A and that real grimy feeling NYC atmosphere that William Lustig is known for. It's also a veritable who's who of character actors from the era. Bruce Campbell returns but only briefly. The main problem with the movie is a subplot/character that drags down the second half of the movie. Maniac Cop meets the worlds most annoying serial killer and they kind of team up. It just does not work and the serial killer character is insufferable. It's still enjoyable trash that at least tries to do some interesting things and is worth watching for atmosphere and action.

Edit: I forgot to give a special mention to the incredibly embarrassing end credit Maniac Cop rap theme song. It's amazing.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Behind the Card- A "documentary" on the sports and collectible card scene. This is super weird. I thought it was going to be an actual doc on the history and popularity of card collecting. It is not, actually it's an hour and a half long investment pitch. It's literally just a bunch of hucksters, idiots and actual criminals desperately trying to sell ultra high end card collecting as a viable and extremely profitable investment. Everything from buying boxes at the local Target and flipping them to people splitting ownership of multi-million dollar cards like they were stock. Of course what modern scam would be complete without NFTs? Well don't worry they've got that covered as well lol.

In fact they even cite NFTs as proof of the sustainability of collectables in general as being totally loss proof due to modern safeguards. Whoops. I find it funny that almost everyone they interview just got into the hobby in the last couple years. That just happens to coincide with Covid, kind of like graded games, shitcoins and NFTs. What a surprise.

What's really weird is that the "documentary" addresses the inevitable market crash as well as blatant market manipulation and outright scamming but it doesn't take any of that seriously. They just kind of plow through those points and keep hammering the fool proof investment angle.

Just like every other big dollar collectors hobby these days it's total horse shit, all speculation, manipulation and greed. Same as graded games, NFTs, crypto etc. Imagine that...

The “grindset” mentality is a fucking cancer. Greedy people will never be satisfied with their wealth.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Maniac Cop 2- A superior sequel but not by much. Part slasher and part police drama, there are a lot of things to like in this one. There's some pretty legit car stunts and chases, gun fights, plenty of T&A and that real grimy feeling NYC atmosphere that William Lustig is known for. It's also a veritable who's who of character actors from the era. Bruce Campbell returns but only briefly. The main problem with the movie is a subplot/character that drags down the second half of the movie. Maniac Cop meets the worlds most annoying serial killer and they kind of team up. It just does not work and the serial killer character is insufferable. It's still enjoyable trash that at least tries to do some interesting things and is worth watching for atmosphere and action.

Edit: I forgot to give a special mention to the incredibly embarrassing end credit Maniac Cop rap theme song. It's amazing.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Elemental - only way to describe this movie is that it is probably the greatest movie that was ever made in the whole world. What made the experience even more amazing was that I even got my own popcorn bag, didn’t have to share with no one.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Bill Hicks: American- Documentary on the outspoken comedian who died at 32. I always liked Hicks, didn't always agree with him but he said a lot of important stuff in a time when comedy was extremely safe. I always liked his mix of psychedelic philosophy and how he countered that with harsh social criticism. I remember watching his HBO special and Revelations multiple times on cable back in the day. The documentary itself was fairly well made, some good interviews and a ton of great old footage. I didn't know all that much about his early life and was surprised that he started his standup career so early. It's not surprising that he ended up being far more successful in the UK rather than here in the US. Some of his stuff is just too critical and heady for the average Chuckle Hut attendees back then. Recommended.

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Elemental - only way to describe this movie is that it is probably the greatest movie that was ever made in the whole world. What made the experience even more amazing was that I even got my own popcorn bag, didn’t have to share with no one.
I wanted to go see this movie, but I want to see it even more now that I know the last Up short with Ed Asner is in it as well.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Might not be as bold a claim on a forum filled largely with middle-aged men but Bill Hicks is on the Mount Rushmore of comedy. Some of his bits haven't aged well (tough when most of it's over 30 years old) but a lot of it continues to become more relevant and more sadly hilarious with each passing year and his influence has seeped in to the bones of comedy in a way that only a couple of people ever have. His life philosophy and view of the world, despite all of his righteous anger and frustration, is something a lot of people could learn from. Even now. Especially now.

Oh and fuck Denis Leary for ripping off his act and basically getting famous off his material. Fucking hack.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Bill Hicks: American- Documentary on the outspoken comedian who died at 32. I always liked Hicks, didn't always agree with him but he said a lot of important stuff in a time when comedy was extremely safe. I always liked his mix of psychedelic philosophy and how he countered that with harsh social criticism. I remember watching his HBO special and Revelations multiple times on cable back in the day. The documentary itself was fairly well made, some good interviews and a ton of great old footage. I didn't know all that much about his early life and was surprised that he started his standup career so early. It's not surprising that he ended up being far more successful in the UK rather than here in the US. Some of his stuff is just too critical and heady for the average Chuckle Hut attendees back then. Recommended.

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

Man, I’ve heard that quote so many times listening to Aenima back in the day.

You watch the Hicks documentary on a streaming service?

I watched Hicks specials a lot during the GWB administration. It was wild how if you didn’t his jokes were about the Persian Gulf War (and, we’ll, that he was dead) you’d have thought he was lampooning then GW Bush admin.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You watch the Hicks documentary on a streaming service?
Amazon Prime.

Like 100 said so much of his stuff is still if not even more applicable to current society, business and the US government it's amazing. I think he would be beyond disgusted by the effects of social media and all that it's managed to bring with it. The world desperately needs more intelligent, articulate and funny people like Hicks to cut through division and call out bullshit wherever they see it.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Amazon Prime.

Like 100 said so much of his stuff is still if not even more applicable to current society, business and the US government it's amazing. I think he would be beyond disgusted by the effects of social media and all that it's managed to bring with it. The world desperately needs more intelligent, articulate and funny people like Hicks to cut through division and call out bullshit wherever they see it.

Nice, Primea the only streaming service I have at the moment so I’ll for sure check it out this weekend.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Nice, Primea the only streaming service I have at the moment so I’ll for sure check it out this weekend.
Did you ever watch Undone? It's still the best show on Prime you jive sucka ass turkey