Must-Have Games for DS/3DS

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Advance Wars can easily be found used for $15 on ebay. Not sure where you are getting this $60 price tag from
New on amazon. I'm not really into used games that I either can't see first or aren't from people I know.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
On a side note, I finished my second runthrough of Order of Ecclesia, and I think I am done with Metroidvania for good. It was perfectly decent and the story was fine, but there's zero sense of having done anything when you finish the game.

There is nothing wrong with the game, but I never felt any of that spirit of wonder or excitement of exploration that I got from SotN way back when. It's just all so same-y.

If they're not going to return to classic platforming style with another Castlevania Chronicles or something (I would love that), I guess I'd rather just move on to God of Warvania full-time. It's not what I really want, but at least it feels fresher to me.

Meanwhile, Code of Princess I have been loving. Right up my street. This game justified the 3DS purchase for me.

I've also been playing a lot of DOA and have been really enjoying it.

World Ends With You is up next.

Linkloz

n00b
Big fan of the DS and 3DS myself. Glad to hear you're enjoying Code of Princess, it's easily one of my favourite titles from last year. TWEWY is one of the DS's better and more unique titles, it's a good one to pick up next. It sounds like you've got alot to play for the next while, but i'd also like to add myself to the people who recommend 999 and Radiant Historia for the DS and Crimson Shroud on the eshop. Crimson Shroud is a Matsuno game and its presentation and gameplay is like a table top rpg. 999 is a really cool mystery/horror visual novel with puzzle elements. It has a sequel on the 3ds and vita called virtue's last reward that is more then worth your time. If you like mind blowing plot twist after plot twist and excellent characters(but can stand some long winded exposition) these two games need to be on your radar.

If you enjoyed the Contra series, Contra 4 is an awesome DS game. Check it out.

If you like some wackiness and rhythm games, Elite beat agents is pretty great. One of the more satisfying ds rhythm games, and with some great humour.

You mentioned Atlus games; maybe you might be interested in SMT Strange Journey and the Devil Survivor games on the DS - Devil survivor 1 has a 3ds remake called Devil Survivor Overclocked which adds content to the end of the game, fixes some balance issues and adds voice.

The trauma center series is another Atlus property. These games have you using the touch screen to open up patients and perform surgeries. It gets pretty over the top as you move from simple procedures like resetting bone fragments to cutting, sucking, zapping and tapping crazy super virus things. You end up having to problem solve really fast as you try to slow the spreading of cancers/viruses while keeping your patient alive. If you want a good challenge for your reflexes, then check these out. Mind you, the first ds game has a excellent wii remake that is followed up by two wii exclusives that add coop and new medical roles for the player to play. Still, they're good on the DS.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I'd like to thank this thread for reminding me to pick up Izuna 2. Found it new on the eBay for $13 shipped, that was definitely the right price.

@STK: I enjoyed the first Metroidvania on DS, found the second to be 'alright', and got bored 5mins in on the third. Never bothered to finish it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
@STK: I enjoyed the first Metroidvania on DS, found the second to be 'alright', and got bored 5mins in on the third. Never bothered to finish it.
I think that would be my experience with the 3 games no matter which one I started from. The formula is tired. The sense of exploration is gone. Playing them now feels like just going through the motions.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
On a side note, I finished my second runthrough of Order of Ecclesia, and I think I am done with Metroidvania for good. It was perfectly decent and the story was fine, but there's zero sense of having done anything when you finish the game.

There is nothing wrong with the game, but I never felt any of that spirit of wonder or excitement of exploration that I got from SotN way back when. It's just all so same-y.

If they're not going to return to classic platforming style with another Castlevania Chronicles or something (I would love that), I guess I'd rather just move on to God of Warvania full-time. It's not what I really want, but at least it feels fresher to me.

Meanwhile, Code of Princess I have been loving. Right up my street. This game justified the 3DS purchase for me.

I've also been playing a lot of DOA and have been really enjoying it.

World Ends With You is up next.

That feeling 'not having done anything' in Order of Ecclesia carried over into leveling Shanoa up. Even as I got her up in levels and approached the end of the game, I still felt like I hadn't progressed much. She still had issues dealing with some enemies and didn't feel as strong as she should.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That feeling 'not having done anything' in Order of Ecclesia carried over into leveling Shanoa up. Even as I got her up in levels and approached the end of the game, I still felt like I hadn't progressed much. She still had issues dealing with some enemies and didn't feel as strong as she should.
Maybe it was your weapon choices. I had the opposite impression in that I spent a lot of the game feeling like the character was too powerful.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I think I was already tired of the formula by the time I finished Circle of the Moon.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Maybe it was your weapon choices. I had the opposite impression in that I spent a lot of the game feeling like the character was too powerful.

That's a pretty good possibility. I eventually stopped playing it years ago, after I had gotten to Dracula's castle, and never picked it back up. I might give it another shot and see if I feel any different about it these days.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Quick question. Does the add on circle pad for the 3DS work on the 3DS XL?

Also just got through Code of Princess, I enjoyed it more than I thought and at first I didn't quite get into it but forward a couple months later and bam! You can probably beat it in a couple sessions, there's lots to still do though, I just cleared it with Solange.

I'll come up with a list of recommends next time.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No, it won't fit. There is a XL specific CPP in Japan that you could import, it hasn't made its way to the states yet.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Tom_Clancy%E2%80%99s_Ghost_Recon_-_Shadow_Wars_cover_art.jpg

It is a turn based strategy game made by Julian Gollop, the maker of the original UFO/XCOM game.

It is a very, very addictive game. I have it 100% completed. The only bad thing is the lack of online multiplayer but I´m still holding on to hope for a sequel...

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Front Mission. Turn based strategy, it's pretty good.

were8kosh

Rugal's Thug
15 Year Member
Pinball Hall Of Fame Williams Collection 3DS
If you like pinball and can find it cheap. its one of my games that i really enjoy when i have only a few minutes to kill.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Pinball Hall Of Fame Williams Collection 3DS
If you like pinball and can find it cheap. its one of my games that i really enjoy when i have only a few minutes to kill.

Thanks for the heads up on this, scooped it today at GS used for 6 bucks.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
New on amazon. I'm not really into used games that I either can't see first or aren't from people I know.

My Gamestop has Advance Wars: Days of Ruin complete if you're interested, it's 9 bucks used, I can snag it for ya if you want.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
My Gamestop has Advance Wars: Days of Ruin complete if you're interested, it's 9 bucks used, I can snag it for ya if you want.
*Ahem, worst in the series Ahem* :)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Started World Ends With You this morning. I... don't really get this game.

The aesthetic, music and whatever else is pretty cool, and I'm getting through the early battles okay, but I don't feel like I know what I'm doing other than mashing a direction for Shiki and swiping the bottom screen with the stylus until the fight is over. I don't understand what I am doing right or what I could be doing better. And when the game started trying to explain all the many, many menu screens with 18 pages of in-game instructions, I could barely force myself to sit through it all and retained almost nothing of what they said. There's food...somewhere... but I have to chew it, and I can only chew a certain number of times per day? wtf does any of that mean? Then I acquire tokens that are worth money but I have to cash them in to get the money? Why not just give me the money to begin with? And I'm assuming I'll see shops and whatnot later in the game, because I see nothing so far.

Using the stylus is kind of awkward to begin with, especially while holding the DS and use the d-pad with one hand. I'm hoping the game grows on me as I go along.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Playing Power of Illusion and I like the gameplay, not a Hugh's fan of the silly quests you do for your rescued pals but it still manages to be fun, even with them brush stylus shenanigans. The 2D work is very nice and refreshing to say the least.

Castlevania MoF is going to be one of those must play titles, I suggest downloading the demo if you can.

If you like RPGs Fire Emblem has an outstanding presentation and a cell shaded graphic style that's very well done. Very impressive, I managed to play a little of the demo, the gameplay isn't for me but I'm glad I tried it.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Is Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney going to come out in the US? I enjoy the games and thought Miracle Mask was pretty good but I'm ready for another game.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
One game that is worth a look on the DS is "The Dark Spire." An 80's style dungeon crawler that somehow managed to get released by Atlus in 09'. It's not too common, but I've scooped it up for as low as $3 at GS. Kids just don't get games like that anymore, so the price is sweet.

Also Contra 4 and big thumbs up for the new Fire Emblem and the lattest Etrian Odyssey game on the 3ds.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
By the way, fellows, Radiant Historia came up on amazon for $45 + free shipping, so I jumped on it. If it is not the most amazing game ever, I am going to come down hard on all you M Effers. But you guys have given me a lot of great advice so far, so I'm not worried.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Historia is pretty good

not sure it's worth $45 but it's unique enough to warrant a play

i played it when it first came out and remember enjoying the battle system a lot

how you progress in the story is very interesting as well but it can be a bit confusing at times too

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I will +1 The Dark Spire. It's a lot like Etrian Odyssey, which means it's a lot like Wizardry, but there are some differences.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is essential. A must own if you have a 3DS.

I am also going to state it right now:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate is a must own title. It's neither the most traditional nor the most difficult game in the series, but it is a LOT of fun and has magnificent compulsory gameplay. I love the visual style overall, even though sometimes the game could stand to zoom in a bit more during fights. Some of the ranged attacks are a little hard to see, especially when you have 4-5 enemies on you at the same time. But the air dashing, the guard crush moves, the combo system and the magic spells and weapons are all very useful in multiple situations. Sometimes, the magic has specific applications, but it's VERY nice that you can choose to use them in any fight if you so desire. It is good that the tools they give you to work with have more than one use.