MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello Raz,

We were going to make an arcade mode that once activated with a game arealdy flashed, if you remove the sd card you cannot enter menu with the triggers until you put the sd card back, so NEOSD will act as a cart.

Thanks

Careful consideration is need when thinking of adding a testmmode switch via another another keycode. Technically is easily possible to do although the NeoSD would need to look into the bios to find the testmode jump offset as it can be in different places in different bios.

The dilemma I had with the unibios was the fact that adding this feature instantly rules out the use in an arcade envirmoent unless the feature can be turned off or applied under set conditions only. In the end I added an arcade protect feature to handle such things which the arcade operater could enable to stop the user changing settings or adding cheats etc.

I only allow the alternate testmode button code to work providing arcade protect is not enabled and only during the unibios splash screen at boot. On top of that, when arcade protect is enabled the real testmode button must also be pressed with the keycode to get into the unibios settings.

I would suggest if a testmode feature is added to the NeoSD you need the arcade protect feature to go along side it. Also use that feature to lock out NeoSD settings / changing games. Its a little hassle as users do not read the manual and undoubtally lock themselves out but I guess they can always remove the SD card to reset settings when they do.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Hello Raz,

We were going to make an arcade mode that once activated with a game arealdy flashed, if you remove the sd card you cannot enter menu with the triggers until you put the sd card back, so NEOSD will act as a cart.

Thanks

Yes that would work and be a good solution actually althouigh the operator might moan about having to open the cab to change the game. If you added a testmode button option, tie it to that also (so it will not trigger if SD card removed).

Last edited:

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
Hello,

We just bought 3 different 16gb class 10 microsd cards (all cheap ones, from 7 to 9 euros)
One of those was the same sandisk card Razoola is using, this sandisk card took 4:37 to load the bigest game (kof2003), toshiba card took 4:07 to load the same .neo file.
This was the Toshiba card http://tiendas.mediamarkt.es/p/tarjeta-microsd-toshiba-16gb-1318028

Better cards MAY give better read speeds, we dont really know where is the limit if you ask me, we just bought cheap cards to give real world numbers, cause most people own those cards and not 20 euros cards.

Thanks !

That means using a high speed microSD card like the Toshiba EXCERIA PRO M501 (http://www.toshiba-memory.com/cms/en/products/microsd-cards/exceria/) could decrease the loading time again?

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello

There is a part of the process that its not going to get improved using a better sd card, and thats erasing the flashes.

Reading speed should get increased using better sd cards, but as we said, we dont really know how better the whole flashing proces is going to be using better sd cards, we will know more about that once preorders have been shipped and users tell theyr times.

Also, there is another important factor to get better flashing speeds : To have clean formated the SD card prior copy the files there.

Thanks

That means using a high speed microSD card like the Toshiba EXCERIA PRO M501 (http://www.toshiba-memory.com/cms/en/products/microsd-cards/exceria/) could decrease the loading time again?

Last edited:

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug

Be careful with UHS-II cards or you could get opposite effect ! :
The EXCERIA PRO M501 is UHS-II , does the Neosd supporting UHS-II bus interface or UHS-I only ?
I ask that , because UHS-II cards are backwards compatible but they run slower than UHS-I cards in a non UHS-II reader , in that case , going with a good UHS-I is the best choice.

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
OK, will order that EXCERIA PRO M501 microSD card and will post the KOF2003 load time as a reference as soon as your NeoSD boards have arrived.
One more question: What are the maximum sizes for the P, C, V, S1, M1 roms if the boards are used for homebrew projects?

Edit: Just found some info on page 15 of this thread (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...flash-card&p=4129400&viewfull=1#post4129400):

P - 8 MB
C - 64 MB
V - 16 MB

What are the maximums for S1 and M1?

Last edited:

tcdev

NEST Puppet
One more question: What are the maximum sizes for the P, C, V, S1, M1 roms if the cart is used for homebrew projects?
Ah, that's a very good question! For Knight Lore, I had to masquerade as pspikes2, with 6MB of C-ROM! :spock:

I would expect whatever the limit now, that's easily changed should the need arise in the future?!?

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello,

1 MB program, 8MB banks, 512KB z80, 16MB samples, 64MB sprites, 512KB tiles with garou banking

About SD Card Interface : we just use the regular one.

Thanks !

OK, will order that EXCERIA PRO M501 microSD card and will post the KOF2003 load time as a reference as soon as your NeoSD boards have arrived.
One more question: What are the maximum sizes for the P, C, V, S1, M1 roms if the boards are used for homebrew projects?

Edit: Just found some info on page 15 of this thread (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...flash-card&p=4129400&viewfull=1#post4129400):

P - 8 MB
C - 64 MB
V - 16 MB

What are the maximums for S1 and M1?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
S would be 512k and M 512k I would guess, though technically I think (could be wrong) only 256k on M would be supported by the NeoGeo.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Is there any way for code running on the 68K to read from the SD into work RAM? This is possible on the Atari Lynx SD cart from SainT - I just wondered if a similar thing could be done here? That way the prog code can be impressively large if required.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Any of the gentlemen that preordered it plan to try it with the MagicKey and an AES?

Raz said it doesn't have either at the moment so he may not be able to test anything on it. At 380 eur is a little too steep for me to just "try" it.

I will be testing it with the Daedalus and reporting back.

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
A question about backupRAM option please :

Some people here are asking about mvs MagicKey compatibility , i remember Gunlord is not working with those converters because it looks for backup RAM at startup , which the AES does not have.
Will there be an option in neosd to disable/bypass backup RAM check at startup or ingame menu ? in short.... using neosd on an hardware whitout backup RAM.. ^_^

Thanks for your answer!

davidjv

n00b
Raz and Neosd you can try the Samurai Spirits Zero (hack of XBOX version) for neo geo ?

samsho5x-10-20-155320.pngsamsho5x-10-21-195131.pngsamsho5x-10-22-063406.png

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Raz and Neosd you can try the Samurai Spirits Zero (hack of XBOX version) for neo geo ?

View attachment 40355View attachment 40356View attachment 40357

neobuilder -n "Samurai Shodown V (x-box hack)" -m "Yuki Enterprise" -y 2003 -g Fighting c:\neogeo\samsho5x.zip

I had to hack in the screenshot to the .neo (hopefully there will be the screenshot option eventually in the converter)

The hack works but its not so good quality by the looks of it, there is pixel glitching all over the place on the title page and character select screen. Zooming looked a little strange in places also. This is what happens when you do things and test on emulator only. It does work though.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Will the fixed version of samurai sprits 3 work?

They've been working on adding all of the boots and hacks to their program. If it's not on there now, I can only imagine it's just a matter of time.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'm planning to ordering one , i have the MagicKey green version with my aes system , and a few MVS motherboards in Arcade cabinets so if It does not work , i could use it anyway .
I'll report here the result if nobody do it before me.

Cool, I am in no hurry (I really like those 380 eur to stay in my pocket a little longer), let me know how it pans out.
I have a blue version updated with the latest cores (at the time) which I modded with a switch to permanently disable the onboard unibios, hopefully it all works out, I am not sure how much a neosd for AES would end up costing, just the adapters were expensive, unsure how cheap the neosd team could pull an AES version off .... time will tell, I would hope no more than an additional 50 eur, best scenario is at same price but I doubt it.

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello,

About SD reading, we are thinking on allowing homebrew to be able to request read chunks of data from the SD into the banked area.
It's not decided yet but it may work in 64KB chunks overlaid at the last part of the banked area, and some ports at the end, apart from the normal banking port, one to request the data and another to know if it has finished reading it from SD and is available to read.
In short, you can have the normal banking, and enable or disable a ram overlay at the end where the mcu can read data from the SD.

About the aes backram check, we need to check that, but this is a mvs only cart, and we still don't know if it works with MVS to AES adapters.

Thanks !

Is there any way for code running on the 68K to read from the SD into work RAM? This is possible on the Atari Lynx SD cart from SainT - I just wondered if a similar thing could be done here? That way the prog code can be impressively large if required.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
That backupram check was done by the gunlord game (ngdevteam) and was not related to the converter doing something wrong. backupram is not going to stop the neosd working on an AES, its going to be other things in the way converters work that may stop it working only.

Last edited:

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
i have a neo mvs magic key(green),and would like to buy a neosd,but if its not working,then there goes 394 euro.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
NGdevteam Games.

These game are not supported and will not work on the device. I took the MAME Last Hope ROM and tried in various different ways to get NeoSD to play the game. While it was easy to get the NeoSD to flash the game data, I just could not get it to run. All I got was the crosshatch screen. These games are not supported, confirmed.

Did the ability to run the "Last Hope (bootleg AES to MVS conversion, no coin support)" MAME ROM get patched out after those initial videos that showed it as loading?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Did the ability to run the "Last Hope (bootleg AES to MVS conversion, no coin support)" MAME ROM get patched out after those initial videos that showed it as loading?
Apparently yes - I was a bit annoyed as well btw (I've already bought Last Hope on MVS) but if you think about it its a good move as it might allow NGDEV to release games for sale that work on the Neo SD. The Neo SD team already said that they can 'sign' games to work only on individual carts, so NGDEV could sell Last Hope, Gunlord, Neo XYX, Razion, etc at a reasonable price and sell more in volume. I know I would buy all the other games I don't have if I could play them on the Neo SD.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Just went ahead and ordered one. Chase gave me the run around on ordering it but only took about 3 minutes on the phone to get it cleared. Excited to get this!

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Hello,

Privacy error ? We have enabled HTTPS and bought an SSL certificate that proves the site is run by our company (Terraonion SL)

Thanks

I get it when on my mobile phone/Chrome. Just checked now and it still happens but it's fine when I view on my PC/Firefox