My computer died....

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
My house lost power the other night. The next day went to turn on my computer, and nothing. So, I'm guessing the power supply went out on me. The computer is probably around 10 years old or so. I was thinking of getting a new one soon, just not this soon. Just seems dumb to replace the PSU on a computer that old.

So I was thinking about going to Fry's tomorrow after work. I've never bought anything from them before, but seems like the closest thing to a Micro Center around here. Should I go that route, or online? Any suggestions?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
What kind of computer? For office work or for modern gaming?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
The computer is probably around 10 years old or so

for modern gaming?

Retro-modern is the newest fad.

10 year old computer can still use current PSU, if you were going to make a new computer, you'd need one anyways. Maybe some freak on this forum near you can mail you an old PSU to try out. Otherwise, IDK about where to buy computers, I don't think I've ever bought one at retail before.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Call around to some computer repair shops. Likely they'll have some cheap used ones lying around. Better than paying full price for a new one in a 10 year old PC.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just buy a decent PSU now from Frye's (you can make them price match Newegg or other stores), use it in your old PC, then keep it for when you're ready to build a new one.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Like i said, the computer is old. Still could play modern games (Dark Souls III, DOOM, Fallout 4, Witcher 3...). I just couldn't have the graphics as nice as they should be. I've been thinking about upgrading for a while now, just kinda waiting for prices to drop on RAM and graphics cards. So I'll probably get a new PC, just not spend a bunch on those components and just upgrade later. Might make more sense to get a nicer monitor instead for now.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'd upgrade if your main computer is ten years old, if you can catch a sale on a video card.

That said, it's amazing what you can do to keep an old machine chugging along. Earlier this week the Thinkpad A22e I took to college finally died with an EEPROM failure. By the end I'd upgraded the ram (256mb!), swapped the cd drive for a dvd burner, and put in an ssd to keep it going.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Did you have a Surge protector? It won't protect against brownouts or dirty power but it is something. Online UPS and Voltage Regulators are also good to have if your area is known to have this happen frequently.

A PSU lasting 10 years is pretty decent. They take a lot of abuse. I just hope it didn't take your motherboard when it dies as sometimes they have a habit of depending upon how it was made.

Here is a good list I usually look at when deciding what PSU I want for a computer system. I would pick around tier 3 or lower if you plan to reuse the psu, tier 3 through 5 if its just a replacement. I find it is a nice consolidated list since you don't need to be familiar with what makes a good PSU.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
It was plugged into a Monster surge protector, so yeah that probably should be upgraded as well.

Surge protectors are not infallible, but it is good that you had one. A lot of them over time have their MLV/MOV varistors wear out from taking surges continuously.

When that happens good power strips stop providing power, others simply have a beep to notify you that you aren't protected/they act as a power strip. If you really want a bullet proof setup in regards to protecting your equipment you would really want a Voltage regulator + online psu with a pure sine wave. Essentially everything would be running through battery power 24/7.

The voltage regulator is there to provide constant 120 and be the first in line to take abuse from surges and brownouts.

Best of luck fixing your computer. What specs did it have?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
neurexin-ii-autism-link.jpg

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Just go buy a new computer. I'm at that point with my 6 year old computer now, I'm slowly buying parts as they go on sale.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
A 10 year old computer!? it's power supply died? oh no... that's just disappointing isn't it?

Buy a new fuckin PC if you can't figure out how to replace a PSU. There ya go thread complete.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
A 10 year old computer!? it's power supply died? oh no... that's just disappointing isn't it?

Buy a new fuckin PC if you can't figure out how to replace a PSU. There ya go thread complete.

lol

damn.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
My iMac is 11 years old and it's ready to be replaced. Seems to work for me ok for now.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
lol stick to consoles if you can't figure out how to replace a PSU in a PC.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
My house lost power the other night. The next day went to turn on my computer, and nothing. So, I'm guessing the power supply went out on me. The computer is probably around 10 years old or so. I was thinking of getting a new one soon, just not this soon. Just seems dumb to replace the PSU on a computer that old.

So I was thinking about going to Fry's tomorrow after work. I've never bought anything from them before, but seems like the closest thing to a Micro Center around here. Should I go that route, or online? Any suggestions?

I never buy pre assembled PC's because they always have shit specs, I always build my own rigs. I remember reading that newer CPU's are designed to lock out window 7 updates.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
It seems some of you are confused. I never said I couldn't change the PSU, I can. It just seems dumb when I need an upgrade anyway. I can't get a better CPU, GPU, or more RAM on the current motherboard, so at this point, it seems silly to keep it going. Also, it was not a pre assembled PC. A lot of false assumptions going on here.

I guess my point of the thread was more along the lines of, "Hey, I've never used Fry's before. What were your experiences like? Or should I just go online instead?"

I plan on building a new PC, not fixing my current old one, not buying a pre built one either.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Like I said... buy a new power supply now then use it in your new build later. Two birds, one stone.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Lol, 10 year old PCPleb

Do we needs to be done or stare at your dead computer.

Lachlan is right.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Yeah no point of putting something in a junker. Might as well get a new PC. Maybe start w/ a case & just build one from scratch.

First thing is probably have a price range on how much you want to spend. Then look for builds in that price.

I think this was the website i used for mine. Lets you customize and show what's compatible with what.
https://pcpartpicker.com/

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Get a Commodore 64 and a couple disk drives. You'll be set 4 lyfe.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
I never buy pre assembled PC's because they always have shit specs, I always build my own rigs. I remember reading that newer CPU's are designed to lock out window 7 updates.

Yeah they are so you need to nigga-rig it to make it work. Microsoft be shilling 10 super bad.