My fucking cat

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Okay, so, my cat is pretty old (16 or 17). Her health is pretty good -- if you didn't know she was that old, you probably wouldn't guess that was her age.

But lately she's decided to piss on my couch a couple of times. Today is the third time it's happened. I can't figure out if she's doing it to anger me or if she is just getting old and couldn't help it.

I wonder if she's pulling a stunt because my Grandma has her sister, and she definitely pulls stunts to let my Grandma know she's angry (or whatever cats feel instead of anger).

Either way I'm getting pretty angry myself. I deliberately got some really cheap couches because I figured there was a chance she might ruin them, but I thought that would be with her claws, not her piss -- no one wants to sit in cat piss.

What do you guys think? I realize it's all total conjecture but I really need to think on this. If my cat decides that she's gonna piss all over my house all the time, that's it. I can't be the guy with the cat piss house. I just can't.

HeartlessNinny

She's not acting sick...

That said, if this keeps up, a trip to the vet is probably a good idea.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I have a young tricolor corgi that's started doing this recently. She only does it when we're around, otherwise she always goes outside... I'm confused.

Maybe it's an attention grabbing tactic?

HeartlessNinny

Why not bring her to the vet now?

Two reasons: As I said, she doesn't seem sick. Second, and more importantly, she's been to the vet pretty recently anyway.

I have a young tricolor corgi that's started doing this recently. She only does it when we're around, otherwise she always goes outside... I'm confused.

Maybe it's an attention grabbing tactic?

Yeah, it really makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Over the past few years, my cat has had what are some definite accidents. Quite a few months ago I forgot to put her out before I went out and she pooped on the floor. I also discovered a place she'd been pissing/shitting secretly, though it's clear she only went there twice.

This behaviour is out of the norm. I figure the only two explanations are incontinence and attitude. I just need to figure out which it is...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The kind of sickness I imagined wouldn't need to manifest itself through the symptoms of a kitty cold.

she's not insured?

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
my cat was peeing on stuff last year..

1st VET - spewed all this kitty psychological mumbo jumbo and had us buy some pheromone plugin thing that was suppose to make him happy. it did nothing.

2nd VET - said he had a bladder infection. switched his food and gave him some medicine. he stopped peeing (on our stuff).

HeartlessNinny

The kind of sickness I imagined wouldn't need to manifest itself through the symptoms of a kitty cold.

she's not insured?

Usually it's pretty clear when your pet is sick. It is to me, anyway -- and believe me, I've had plenty of sick pets over the years. Not something you really want to dwell on...

Anyway if this was a regular occurrence that'd be one thing, but it's not.

I realize as I typed that that I'm making excuses not to do anything though. If it happens again I'll take her to the vet. Sounds like that bladder infection thing might be worth mentioning too, so I'll bring that up for sure.

EDIT: Also no, she isn't insured.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I realize as I typed that that I'm making excuses not to do anything though. If it happens again I'll take her to the vet. Sounds like that bladder infection thing might be worth mentioning too, so I'll bring that up for sure.

EDIT: Also no, she isn't insured.

Yeah, ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Thread title... this:

A_f7e668_2540904.jpg

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
If you have changed up her food recently that could be the problem. But other than that, my cat started peeing around our house, so we started locking him up at night, we did that for about a month or two and now we let him sleep out of the cage and he has stopped. Granted he is still quite young, just a suggestion to see if it helps at all.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I thought all the cats had health insurance in Canada.

I've actually been working on the marketing campaign for one of Canada's top pet insurers :lolz:

Anyway, Ninny, take your cat to the vet. Today if you can. Animals can get very sick very fast and unusual pissing and shitting is not a good sign. Is she eating and drinking as much as normal? Part her fur and check her skin color. Is it discolored at all?

My first dog went to the vet during August (in the early 90s). That October she died of a tumor the size of a baseball. Better safe than sorry, even if it costs $150.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've heard animals with diabetes start pissing all over too.

I'd definitely get it checked out.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Like others have said, get her checked, preferrably by two vets and see if they arrive at the same diagnosis.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Put the cat on something like Science Diet (Urine Health) food mixed in with her usual food. Then slowly mix it to where it is mostly the Science Diet stuff. My cat would piss in plant pots before this diet. This seems to be a common problem when cats get older and you feed them Friskies, Purina and other typical cat food brands.

HeartlessNinny

Put the cat on something like Science Diet (Urine Health) food mixed in with her usual food. Then slowly mix it to where it is mostly the Science Diet stuff. My cat would piss in plant pots before this diet. This seems to be a common problem when cats get older and you feed them Friskies, Purina and other typical cat food brands.

I already feed her high quality food.

Speaking of which, I tried to get her to go onto a raw food diet recently. Supposedly it's much healthier for your pets, pretty much across the board.

In any case she wouldn't touch it. I tried mixing it in with her normal food and she wouldn't touch that either. I thought that she'd love it, but no dice -- any amount of it in there would cause her to abandon the food.

She's not fat and has a great coat so I can't help but think that messing with her diet is something I'd want to avoid if possible.

One more thing: I don't think I made it very clear, but this whole 'pissing in the house' thing is still pretty uncommon behaviour for her. I'd say it happens less often than, say, once a month. Maybe even less than every two months. But it does worry me, hence the thread.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Second on the bladder infection thing. Someone suggested one of my cats had one because he's old but he's been doing it forever and I'm pretty sure he's just an asshole. Long story but they were with an animal rescue group so I trust that they knew what they were talking about, aside from mine just being a dick all the time.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Okay, so, my cat is pretty old (16 or 17). Her health is pretty good -- if you didn't know she was that old, you probably wouldn't guess that was her age.

But lately she's decided to piss on my couch a couple of times. Today is the third time it's happened. I can't figure out if she's doing it to anger me or if she is just getting old and couldn't help it.

I wonder if she's pulling a stunt because my Grandma has her sister, and she definitely pulls stunts to let my Grandma know she's angry (or whatever cats feel instead of anger).

Either way I'm getting pretty angry myself. I deliberately got some really cheap couches because I figured there was a chance she might ruin them, but I thought that would be with her claws, not her piss -- no one wants to sit in cat piss.

What do you guys think? I realize it's all total conjecture but I really need to think on this. If my cat decides that she's gonna piss all over my house all the time, that's it. I can't be the guy with the cat piss house. I just can't.

Just wondering does she venture outside, it could be that there is another cat and she is pissing everywhere as a security thing!. to make sure the other cat knows its her home. also another thing could be it may help a bit if you put lemon somewhere you don't want the cat to go put it down, cats dont like lemon juice

Also your cat doesn't sound as bad as my mom's cat, blind in both eye's look likes its about to die though he is super healthy according to the vet, sounds like a lion, the neighbours complain about the noise, and it shits everywhere so we had to buy a Dog cage for him to live in, his fine with the pee he will use the litterbox or outside but poo is different.

HeartlessNinny

Just wondering does she venture outside, it could be that there is another cat and she is pissing everywhere as a security thing!. to make sure the other cat knows its her home. also another thing could be it may help a bit if you put lemon somewhere you don't want the cat to go put it down, cats dont like lemon juice

Also your cat doesn't sound as bad as my mom's cat, blind in both eye's look likes its about to die though he is super healthy according to the vet, sounds like a lion, the neighbours complain about the noise, and it shits everywhere so we had to buy a Dog cage for him to live in, his fine with the pee he will use the litterbox or outside but poo is different.

She's an outside cat (Deuce would not approve!). I've lived in the same place for a while now, and I don't think there are any new cats around... Plus she knows that's where I sit. I have two couches -- one I sit on rarely and one I sit on every day. She pissed right where I sit. It still seems to me that she was letting me know she was mad I didn't give her her food quickly enough or something. She really cops an attitude when she's hungry (which is often). I don't put up with it and feed her on a set schedule, but you know how it is.

Other than this you'd think she was half her age. She can't jump up on things very well anymore, but to look at her you'd think she was a cat in her prime. She's never had any health problems her whole life. As I said my grandma has her sister, and she feeds that cat to the point of abuse. She's as fat as a pumpkin. Her cat has a noticeable limp but is otherwise okay too. I figure they have good genes.

Hope your mom's cat carries on. My friend has a cat like that too. I think it's pushing 20... Pretty old for a cat. Still keeps on trucking, though. I hope mine does the same... minus the occasional indoor pee.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Clean the litterbox, geez.
Seriously though, cats don't like sudden change in their food. They can get kidney and blatter problems from food that is too moist. Just dry food and water most of the time seems best.
I would take her to the vet asap if I were you.
We both know it will probably be cheaper than most of the bow-ties you have ;)

Marek

Banned
lol was Deuce against the concept of 'outside cats'?

Yet another reason to lol at Deuce.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I already feed her high quality food.

Speaking of which, I tried to get her to go onto a raw food diet recently. Supposedly it's much healthier for your pets, pretty much across the board.

In any case she wouldn't touch it. I tried mixing it in with her normal food and she wouldn't touch that either. I thought that she'd love it, but no dice -- any amount of it in there would cause her to abandon the food.

She's not fat and has a great coat so I can't help but think that messing with her diet is something I'd want to avoid if possible.

One more thing: I don't think I made it very clear, but this whole 'pissing in the house' thing is still pretty uncommon behaviour for her. I'd say it happens less often than, say, once a month. Maybe even less than every two months. But it does worry me, hence the thread.

Science Diet food isn't just high quality. It's got stuff in there to control stuff like excessive poo habits. One of my dogs had colitis and we had to feed her Science Diet, which mostly solved the problem.

What was in the raw diet? You kept fish and meat in there, right? Cats are obligate carnivores.