My fucking cat

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
She might be a little too old for this to be an issue....but is the cat spayed? Did you get another cat?
Did another cat enter the picture in any way...like, is someone elses cat close enough that your cat can pick up its scent?

It could very well be a behavioral thing and not a health issue.
But like everyone else is saying, check with a decent vet.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Clean the litterbox, geez.
Seriously though, cats don't like sudden change in their food. They can get kidney and blatter problems from food that is too moist. Just dry food and water most of the time seems best.
I would take her to the vet asap if I were you.
We both know it will probably be cheaper than most of the bow-ties you have ;)

She's an outside cat. She hasn't used a litter box in years... Thank god. I really and truly hate litter boxes.

As for the last bit, well, you got me there. :)

lol was Deuce against the concept of 'outside cats'?

Yet another reason to lol at Deuce.

Apparently statistically an inside cat lives a couple years longer on average. To that I said my cat likes going outside. I don't think she'd be happy if I kept her cooped up all the time. I mean, statistically a male mammal will live like 5 years longer if he's castrated... but you don't see anyone running out to cut their balls off.

She might be a little too old for this to be an issue....but is the cat spayed? Did you get another cat?
Did another cat enter the picture in any way...like, is someone elses cat close enough that your cat can pick up its scent?

It could very well be a behavioral thing and not a health issue.
But like everyone else is saying, check with a decent vet.

She was spayed about 15 years ago. I haven't gotten another cat, and I don't think there's another one in the neighbourhood that's new either.

As a bit of an update she just now asked to go outside and hopped right out. Things seem to be back to normal... I'll try and be extra conscientious about letting her go outside and see what happens.

HeartlessNinny

Science Diet food isn't just high quality. It's got stuff in there to control stuff like excessive poo habits. One of my dogs had colitis and we had to feed her Science Diet, which mostly solved the problem.

What was in the raw diet? You kept fish and meat in there, right? Cats are obligate carnivores.

I forgot this one: the raw diet was almost entirely raw meat. I think 90% or so... That's a lot different than the dog formula, which has a lot more vegetables in it.

Basically the food is good enough for humans to eat if you really wanted to, and it's devised with the animal's natural diet in mind. I really wish my cat would eat it, but I don't think I could force feed it to her at this point. She's too used to the same tinned food she's always had and I guess she's too old to change now. On the other hand, I can't help but think I'm doing something right, since her health really is excellent, especially given her age.

Marek

Banned
Apparently statistically an inside cat lives a couple years longer on average. To that I said my cat likes going outside. I don't think she'd be happy if I kept her cooped up all the time. I mean, statistically a male mammal will live like 5 years longer if he's castrated... but you don't see anyone running out to cut their balls off.

Ha!

Of course Deuce would see 2 years average life as a solid reason to imprison an animal for his own amusement.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Ha!

Of course Deuce would see 2 years average life as a solid reason to imprison an animal for his own amusement.

17 years is a good long life for a cat, I don't see the benefit of cooping them up in the house. If it lives 2 years shorter than it would inside, it will still have been a better life.

Marek

Banned
17 years is a good long life for a cat, I don't see the benefit of cooping them up in the house. If it lives 2 years shorter than it would inside, it will still have been a better life.

Now that we arent trolling each other constantly I find.. THAT I AGREE WITH ALMOST EVERYTHING YOU POST

>.<

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The place I adopted my cat from was like "and don't let your cat go outside."

I was like "sure thing."

My cat is outside right now chilling in the shade. Yesterday he chased a small dog off my property. Cat's rule.

I hope your cat isn't sick Ninny, keep us updated.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The place I adopted my cat from was like "and don't let your cat go outside."

I was like "sure thing."

My cat is outside right now chilling in the shade. Yesterday he chased a small dog off my property. Cat's rule.

I hope your cat isn't sick Ninny, keep us updated.

Hahahahaha, awesome.

Yeah, definitely keep us updated, Ninny! (high five to you too)

P.S.- I've never owned a cat, but I like them a lot. I just haven't had the desire to own a pet since the age of about 14 when my rat died (lost a dog when I was 10 as well). I guess I don't take loss very well, it seems. But I have a neighbor 2 doors down whose cat just loves me and comes over my house all the time when they're neglecting her. I let her come inside for a bit and she marks her scent all over my furniture and myself and I'll pet her for a bit and then let her out. Sometimes she will lie down on the doormat on my porch and take a nap. Cool cat.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I pretty much keep my cat outside almost all the time. If I need to leave home for a few weeks and cannot be there to feed it, hunting is still an option.

HeartlessNinny

My cat still hunts but I have no idea how much luck she has nowadays. Once in a blue moon I'll go into the backyard and it's a goddamn massacre -- there'll be mice, rat, mole and bird carcasses everywhere, and pretty much all of them will be half eaten... Sometimes then barfed back up on the spot. She's done that maybe 3 times or so in the last 5 years.

Otherwise I figure she bags the odd bird here and there. I'm pretty sure she eats them if she does, because I never find any evidence other than the odd feather here and there.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
My cat still hunts but I have no idea how much luck she has nowadays. Once in a blue moon I'll go into the backyard and it's a goddamn massacre -- there'll be mice, rat, mole and bird carcasses everywhere, and pretty much all of them will be half eaten... Sometimes then barfed back up on the spot. She's done that maybe 3 times or so in the last 5 years.

Otherwise I figure she bags the odd bird here and there. I'm pretty sure she eats them if she does, because I never find any evidence other than the odd feather here and there.

Cats. Nature's cutest serial killers. Like humans, they kill for fun.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
She's not acting sick...
Just my 2 cents, but such is characteristic of both healthy and sick cats.
For that matter most animals are inclined to hide illness to avoid becoming an easy target for others. Hopefully it's only a behavioral thing going on.
Maybe a bit of Cat Attract would help coax her back to the box.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
cats usually urinate in odd places when they start getting senile. It is not uncommon for them to also choose this area where they urinate to be their final resting place. Happened to 2 of my cats in the past.

HeartlessNinny

cats usually urinate in odd places when they start getting senile. It is not uncommon for them to also choose this area where they urinate to be their final resting place. Happened to 2 of my cats in the past.

Good god, I don't need to hear this.........

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Good god, I don't need to hear this.........

My cat Lady died when she was about 18, and she started getting like this when she was around 17. It is a long life for cats you still have time just give your cat lots of love in the mean time. A good sign that the cats life is winding down is significant weight loss. Keep an eye on this.

HeartlessNinny

My cat Lady died when she was about 18, and she started getting like this when she was around 17. It is a long life for cats you still have time just give your cat lots of love in the mean time. A good sign that the cats life is winding down is significant weight loss. Keep an eye on this.

I appreciate the thought -- really, I do -- but I don't think I'm ready for this conversation just yet. :(

HeartlessNinny

Quick update: Seems all is well. I've been attentive about letting her out (which is to say making her go out from time to time). She doesn't seem sick at all and there have been no further incidents. She still eats like a champ (never enough for her taste of course).

I was thinking about it the other day when suddenly I realized I was well served to hear you out, Retro, even if I didn't really wanna talk about my cat dying and all. So thanks. I knew you meant well the whole time but what can I say, she's old and I'm a bit sensitive about it. I've had that cat for a long time.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member

same thing happened to our cat, fat cat. he started sleeping in my room when for years he'd been a bit of an arch nemesis of mine and hated being around me. he'd started pissing in the house so we needed a litterbox, as he'd been an outside cat. and then we found he had feline HIV on a trip to the vet. the next day we had to put him down. dude was like 12 years old. he'd lived a long life even if it was cut short by disease.

HeartlessNinny

I had no idea there was a feline equivalent to HIV. Damn.

Cat's been pretty affectionate the last two days. I know I'm just projecting but I like to think she's being apologetic. ;)