NBA Finals 2009 -- THE LAKERS (vs the Magic)

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I predict the Magic winning game 3, that's about it.

On the west, I am hoping Denver will take it in 6 or 7 games.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I predict the Magic winning game 3, that's about it.

On the west, I am hoping Denver will take it in 6 or 7 games.

lol

If I had a nickel for every time somebody picked the other team over the Magic. I'd have a shit ton of nickels.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed we'll win or anything, but I'd be willing to wager that Orlando will give Cleveland a better run for their money than most are giving them credit for. Everybody underestimates how good our bench is, we have depth on this team.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
lol

If I had a nickel for every time somebody picked the other team over the Magic. I'd have a shit ton of nickels.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed we'll win or anything, but I'd be willing to wager that Orlando will give Cleveland a better run for their money than most are giving them credit for. Everybody underestimates how good our bench is, we have depth on this team.

I have nothing against Orlando, but they played poorly against a depleted Celtics. They should have beaten them in 5 games. Cavs is very sharp and peaking at the right time.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I have nothing against Orlando, but they played poorly against a depleted Celtics. They should have beaten them in 5 games. Cavs is very sharp and peaking at the right time.
Remember, we're not fully healthy either. We don't have Jameer Nelson who is our floor leader, has been very clutch and became an All-Star this year.

Also, did you conveniently forget that the Celtics who were fully healthy last year went to Game 7 against the Atlanta Hawks?

Orlando Magic won a Game 7 on the road and in very convincing fashion. That's a very hard thing to do. I think if we catch Cleveland when they're a bit rusty (it's been 9 days since they played a game) and steal Game 1 we'll have a very good start. Orlando has a shot at this series, don't count them out so soon.

We match up very well with Cleveland:

Dwight Howard > Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Rashard Lewis > Anderson Varejao
Hedo Turkoglu < LeBron James
Courtney Lee > Delonte West
Rafer Alston < Mo Williams

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member

If you think Delonte West is actually better than Courtney Lee or Mickael Pietrus, you obviously haven't been watching much basketball. Delonte West is an undersized 2 guard. Not saying he's a bad player, but I'd rather have Courtney Lee or Mickael Pietrus over Delonte West, Wally World or Pavlovic.

But not like that will matter anyway because Lee will probably be guarding Mo Williams primarily. And Mo really hasn't played that well against the Magic.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Remember, we're not fully healthy either. We don't have Jameer Nelson who is our floor leader, has been very clutch and became an All-Star this year.

Also, did you conveniently forget that the Celtics who were fully healthy last year went to Game 7 against the Atlanta Hawks?

Orlando Magic won a Game 7 on the road and in very convincing fashion. That's a very hard thing to do. I think if we catch Cleveland when they're a bit rusty (it's been 9 days since they played a game) and steal Game 1 we'll have a very good start. Orlando has a shot at this series, don't count them out so soon.

If anything is for certain, Delonte West is the ugliest player in the NBA. He has fuckin herpes.

If anything is a must, it's that the Magic win their home games, because the Cavs winning all of their home games is practically a given. While the Cavs may drop one home game, dropping two would be highly unlikely. Magic cannot risk losing at home. Not an option. The Cavs don't lose at home (2?!). I don't know if they have sabotaged the visitor locker room, or what, but they are too good at home.

I don't like the matchup rating above because for the most part, you're not going to have Varejao on the court at the same time as Ingauskas, who looks like a cyborg from the Sarah Connor Chronicles. I would imagine that if Howard stays out of foul trouble he'd be on the court the entire game. Lebron probably not, but Howard is the lynch pin that holds his team together. Besides, if he's not on the floor, the only other good player worth watching on his team is Turkoglu. Whoa, the Magic have two players worth watching. Cavs have Lebron, who is like 2.5 players in one, but when he's not on the floor, they have nothing.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member

I didn't forget the Celtics had 2 game 7's enroute to the championship. Last year's Hawks is better than this year (in the playoffs), plus young/athletic team tend to give Celtics problems anyway. It is not news.

I see Orlando's front court slightly better than Cavs but the backcourt of Cavs will give Magic nightmares. I really don't see how they can win more than 2 games.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I see Orlando's front court slightly better than Cavs but the backcourt of Cavs will give Magic nightmares. I really don't see how they can win more than 2 games.

I can see the Magic winning more than 2 games, it's called luck.

But realistically, Cavs have a serious edge.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I didn't forget the Celtics had 2 game 7's enroute to the championship. Last year's Hawks is better than this year (in the playoffs), plus young/athletic team tend to give Celtics problems anyway. It is not news.

But you did forget about Jameer Nelson being injured I guess. :p

Of course Hawks were better last year in the playoffs, they didn't have injuries to Al Horford and Marvin Williams for a good chunk of the series last year.

I really like Courtney Lee and Mickael Pietrus defensive capabilities and think they will be able to hold down Mo Willliams. LeBron will get his points no matter what, but that's where Rashard Lewis and Dwight Howard really have to step it up. The best part about Turkoglu though is that LeBron won't have an easy assignment on defense like he did against the Hawks.

Now it's turned from us only winning 1 game to you giving us 2 games. Only a little more convincing before I get you to say we could get this series to go 7. ;)

Don't forget also that Magic took the season series 2-1 (the last game I was at the Magic stomped the Cavs 116-87). The one loss against Cleveland was of course in Cleveland, but Cleveland had to earn that win since they only won by 4.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I also thought of another topic since everybody feels Cavs are that good (which they are).

Are more of you starting to believe that LeBron James can create a legacy that will rival or surpass Michael Jordan now?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I don't like the matchup rating above because for the most part, you're not going to have Varejao on the court at the same time as Ingauskas, who looks like a cyborg from the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

I'm pretty sure that's been their starting lineup for the playoffs. And if not, they're on the court a lot of the same time because Mo Williams, Delonte West, LeBron James, Anderson Varejao and Zydrunas Ilgauskas are getting the most minutes out of the Cavs roster.

But even taking their other big men into account, Ben Wallace and Joe Smith aren't as good as either Howard or Lewis. I like Gortat over Wallace and Smith as well.

Edit: Yep, just checked. Anderson Varejao and Zydrunas Ilgauskas have started every single playoff game together this year and have been getting the most minutes out of all the other bigs by far.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Starting the game wasn't my point. Both games I saw between the Wizards and the Cavs had those two starting, but playing through the game is a different story. What I was trying to express was that for mosrt of the game, Varejao would be the backup for robo Ilgauskas.

I'm pretty sure that's been their starting lineup for the playoffs. And if not, they're on the court a lot of the same time because Mo Williams, Delonte West, LeBron James, Anderson Varejao and Zydrunas Ilgauskas are getting the most minutes out of the Cavs roster.

But even taking their other big men into account, Ben Wallace and Joe Smith aren't as good as either Howard or Lewis. I like Gortat over Wallace and Smith as well.

Edit: Yep, just checked. Anderson Varejao and Zydrunas Ilgauskas have started every single playoff game together this year and have been getting the most minutes out of all the other bigs by far.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Starting the game wasn't my point. Both games I saw between the Wizards and the Cavs had those two starting, but playing through the game is a different story. What I was trying to express was that for mosrt of the game, Varejao would be the backup for robo Ilgauskas.

Howard > Ilgauskas
Lewis > Ben Wallace or Joe Smith

Howard > Varejao
Lewis > Ben Wallace or Joe Smith

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
If you think Delonte West is actually better than Courtney Lee or Mickael Pietrus, you obviously haven't been watching much basketball.

I was going to say the same thing about you, if you actually think Courtney Lee is better than Delonte West (we're not talking about Mickael Pietrus here). Delonte may be undersized but he's got serious game. He's come really far this season alone and plays bigger than he is. He beats Courtney Lee in every statistical category except for 3-point shooting, and has played a bigger role on a much better team (in both the regular season and the playoffs).

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I also thought of another topic since everybody feels Cavs are that good (which they are).

Are more of you starting to believe that LeBron James can create a legacy that will rival or surpass Michael Jordan now?

Too early to even talk about this (except, of course, ESPN). Until LBJ win 3 or 4 titles (preferably in consecutive fashion), he should not be compared to Jordan.

Of course, their game is very different but both can take over games. Now it is up to LBJ to win it all a whole bunch of times to sit next to Jordan in Bball nirvana.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I was going to say the same thing about you, if you actually think Courtney Lee is better than Delonte West (we're not talking about Mickael Pietrus here). Delonte may be undersized but he's got serious game. He's come really far this season alone and plays bigger than he is. He beats Courtney Lee in every statistical category except for 3-point shooting, and has played a bigger role on a much better team (in both the regular season and the playoffs).
We're not talking about Mickael Pietrus now either? The fact of the matter is, if you've been paying attention to Magic games you'd know that Courtney Lee has been outperforming Mickael Pietrus and earned his starting role.

And you know why Delonte West has been getting slightly higher scoring, assists and rebounds? He plays MORE minutes. Of course he's going to have more numbers. Courtney Lee's FG% is still only 0.7% lower than Delonte West's for the season.

But here's another thing, defensively I'd rather have Courtney Lee. Find the stat for that because it comes down to watching the games not looking up stats.

I think you missed my point completely. Magic's SGs > Cavs SGs. Unless you're like V3tigo and actually think Wally World is worth his $14 million. :lolz:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
We're not talking about Mickael Pietrus now either?

You started out saying that Courtney Lee is better than Delonte West. I highly disagree and therefore 'lawled' that because I think it is ridiculous to say such a thing. If you think that Magic SG's are better than Cavs SG's, then you should write that instead.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
And you know why Delonte West has been getting slightly higher scoring, assists and rebounds? He plays MORE minutes. Of course he's going to have more numbers.

Yes, more minutes and thus he plays a bigger role on a better team. That helps make him a better player. Courtney Lee didn't even make a fucking All-Rookie team and suddenly you think he's better than the starting SG on the best team in the league.

Again: :lol:

But here's another thing, defensively I'd rather have Courtney Lee. Find the stat for that because it comes down to watching the games not looking up stats.

Again you're sounding like you have your nose way too far up the Magic's asses, because there's no way in hell Lee is better defensively than West.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
You started out saying that Courtney Lee is better than Delonte West. I highly disagree and therefore 'lawled' that because I think it is ridiculous to say such a thing. If you think that Magic SG's are better than Cavs SG's, then you should write that instead.

Well, I put Courtney Lee because that who's been starting for a good chunk of the season and has outplayed Pietrus for the season. If Lee > Pietrus and won the starting spot fair and square, and you think Pietrus > West, then isn't it logical to say that Lee > West? But J.J. started all last series against Celtics and made Ray Allen look like shit. But Pietrus could start as well and will be playing a huge role in this series.

Dwight Howard, Marcin Gortat > Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Anderson Varejao
Rashard Lewis, Tony Battie > Ben Wallace, Anderson Varejao, Joe Smith, J.J. Hickson
Hedo Turkoglu, Mickael Pietrus < LeBron James (I really don't even need to mention bench players here since LeBron could play all 48 minutes if he needed to)
Courtney Lee, Mickael Pietrus, J.J. Redick > Delonte West, Wally Szcerbiak, Aleksander Pavlovic
Rafer Alston, Anthony Johnson < Mo Williams, Delonte West, Daniel Gibson (Cavs win this because of Mo)

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Yes, more minutes and thus he plays a bigger role on a better team. That helps make him a better player. Courtney Lee didn't even make a fucking All-Rookie team and suddenly you think he's better than the starting SG on the best team in the league.
You must've forgotten how good this draft class really was. O.J. Mayo, Derrick Rose alone are fucking insane. Derrick Rose got 36 points in his first ever playoff game. Not to mention great players like Russell Westbrook and Eric Gordon. The backcourt for this year's rookie class is that fucking great, people will look back on this class and realize how great it was. There's always role players on a team, unless you're saying Luc Longley was that great of a Center on the Chicago Bulls because he happened to start on the best team. Give me a fucking break.

PLAYING MORE MINUTES = HIGHER NUMBERS. Period. No argument.

Again you're sounding like you have your nose way too far up the Magic's asses, because there's no way in hell Lee is better defensively than West.
That's funny because head to head, Courtney Lee has outscored Delonte West and shut West's ass down.

Last edited:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
PLAYING MORE MINUTES = HIGHER NUMBERS. Period. No argument.

West actually outscores Lee per 48 in the regular season.

But I'll just add that I won't be taking anything you write, at least regarding the Magic and any of their opponents, too seriously from now on, if you actually meant what you wrote about taking Marcin Gortat over Ben Wallace and Joe Smith. That is fucking ridiculous.