NEED ADVICE - Looking for a real Samurai Shodown 1

aria

Former Moderator
I've met him before, in Boston. So he does exist and intermingles with other NG.com members --never a guarantee against sales issues, of course, but he's not some unknown person.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thanks

Edited to protect the innocent

Last edited:

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Edited to protect the innocent

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
True,but they were produced by Nintendo,not someone with a bunch of eproms and enough knowledge to do it.Also the mario/duckhunt cartridge wasn't a cheap hackjob like some of the games on the different multi-carts.

IIRC the earliest NES gamepaks were essentially Famicom ROMs plugged directly on a converter to make the pinout correspond to the NES instead, hence the larger cart size. People actually disassembled some of those carts and use the converters on other Famicom carts that were never released outside of Asia.

I guess Nintendo themselves also came up with the idea of converters as well.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
See,just take it easy.Some people don't have as much time as some of us do;)

LOL, ever seen the Star Trek TNG where Barkley turns to a spider and is hyperactive? That is me thinking about getting SS1!

Also another question, I have Last Blade 2 on my MVS and Dreamcast, but I have never played Last Blade 1, is it any different/better than 2? Worth getting?

barclay%20spider.JPG

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
True,but they were produced by Nintendo,not someone with a bunch of eproms and enough knowledge to do it.Also the mario/duckhunt cartridge wasn't a cheap hackjob like some of the games on the different multi-carts.

no. Not talking about SMB/Duck Hunt

http://users.skynet.be/bk317598/ne2.jpg

talking about things like this. When I was in Japan a lot came in from China for the Famicom.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'm saying whoever made that multicart didn't come up with the idea themselves, it was Nintendo that conceived the idea first. The pirates were just copycats. Hey if you can fit 2 games in one cart, there's no reason you can't do 3, or 4......or 1200.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I'm saying whoever made that multicart didn't come up with the idea themselves, it was Nintendo that conceived the idea first. The pirates were just copycats. Hey if you can fit 2 games in one cart, there's no reason you can't do 3, or 4......or 1200.

Agreed.
Blame nintendo everyone!

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
As long as you blame Nintendo for this we're cool:cool:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

oh okay, i misunderstood. :)

However it wasn't even Nintendo. There were Pirate Multicarts for the Atari 2600. I'm not sure if there were legit multicarts.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
oh okay, i misunderstood. :)

However it wasn't even Nintendo. There were Pirate Multicarts for the Atari 2600. I'm not sure if there were legit multicarts.

I have one of those and have no idea if it was legit,you're right!Blame ATARI!!!
It is that 32 in 1 cart.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The release of the famicom disk system showed that Nintendo DID try to essentially pirate the games of third party publishers. The original plan was that Nintendo would sell the disks themselves, and set up kiosks that people could pay a small fee to rewrite the data on the disk to get another game. The sale of the disk of course all went to Nintendo, while the rewriting fee is split between the third party publisher and the store that houses the kiosk.

Needless to say the third party publishers shunned the system. And apparently people from various Asian countries reverse engineered the design to make disk systems for FC, SFC, Genesis and whatever systems with games that could fit in a few floppies.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
The release of the famicom disk system showed that Nintendo DID try to essentially pirate the games of third party publishers. The original plan was that Nintendo would sell the disks themselves, and set up kiosks that people could pay a small fee to rewrite the data on the disk to get another game. The sale of the disk of course all went to Nintendo, while the rewriting fee is split between the third party publisher and the store that houses the kiosk.

Needless to say the third party publishers shunned the system. And apparently people from various Asian countries reverse engineered the design to make disk systems for FC, SFC, Genesis and whatever systems with games that could fit in a few floppies.

i don't think the FDS had anything to do with the various floppy based add ons that piraters released.

but yeah the 32-1 ATARI cart was pirate so it's not atari...some pirate company that was probably in america considering the market at the time.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The difference between Nintendo's own Famicom Disk system and that of the pirates are mostly two points:

1. Nintendo's own drive uses a special disk made by Nintendo themselves while the pirates made it so that floppies can be used.

2. Nintendo kept the reading and writing mechanisms separate (reading on the disk system only, writing on the kiosks only). The pirates used the PC format to combine the two functions and added a slot to accomodate a cart so that the user themselves could make the copies out of an original cart.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
As for the Atari 32-in-1 multicart, I believe it's released in 1988, the same year as Nintendo released SMB/DH.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

Wow...that couldn't be further from the truth. Nintendo wasn't trying to pirate games of third party publishers. Nintendo was already making money on all (ok, most) third party games. At the time, the disk format provided more storage than carts and the ability to save.

SFC/SNES and MD/Genesis copiers have *nothing* at all to do with reverse engineering the Famicom disk system.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The difference between Nintendo's own Famicom Disk system and that of the pirates are mostly two points:

1. Nintendo's own drive uses a special disk made by Nintendo themselves while the pirates made it so that floppies can be used.

2. Nintendo kept the reading and writing mechanisms separate (reading on the disk system only, writing on the kiosks only). The pirates used the PC format to combine the two functions and added a slot to accomodate a cart so that the user themselves could make the copies out of an original cart.
1. The FDS disks were essentially a modified version of the Mistumi Quickdisk format. There were adapters available in HK and Japan that allowed users to use Quickdisks in their FDS system. Pirates never made it so that regular floppies could be used. There were tons of pirate FDS disks available in Hong Kong, I used to have a large collection of them. There were multiple ways to copy official FDS disks to either modified Quickdisks or pirated FDS disks.

2. Also untrue. All FDS drives had write capability, as they had to be able to write to the disks to save the data. Earlier drives could be used to copy entire disks, later drives had to be modified to allow copying of disks.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Wow...that couldn't be further from the truth. Nintendo wasn't trying to pirate games of third party publishers. Nintendo was already making money on all (ok, most) third party games. At the time, the disk format provided more storage than carts and the ability to save.

SFC/SNES and MD/Genesis copiers have *nothing* at all to do with reverse engineering the Famicom disk system.

The disk costs 800 yen, rewriting fee is 100 yen split between the store and the publisher. So for the third publisher they make 50 yen for every 800 yen that Nintendo makes on the disk system. And the kiosks are run by Nintendo but contain third publisher software. How is this not piracy? If you were a third publisher, would you willingly put any of your products on the kiosk?

If what you said is true and the copiers made by the pirates had NOTHING to do with it, perhaps you can show a source where a pirate disk system was released BEFORE the Famicom Disk system? Because if all the copiers are released after and none before, that in itself is proof of my point.