NEW Astro City Club

Ash Burton

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Just grabbed one out of a filthy warehouse in TN! It actually is one I played before about 3 years ago and I tried everything to track it down and hit a dead end. Well got a tip from a local member and flew down to it (was only 15 mins from my house). It was missing the back plate and front access door. I paid 150 and said if it ever tuned up would you let me know and he said he would. I was looking at some other games and sure enough found them. Got home and the monitor is dead of course and needs new sticks and buttons. Speakers work good and power supply seems to be working well. I don't see any screen burn so hopefully the Toshiba tube is ok. No keys for the locks which are all missing but the one on the coin box. I did find about 5 bucks worth of quarters so far just thrown around inside it. Also found a new instruction manual still in the bag which was nice but useless since I can't read Japanese. But the best part is the fully working Japanese dragon blaze pcb that was inside! Now this thing is going to take a lot of work to look good enough to bring inside but I'm no stranger to cleaning candies up so I have got high hopes of it turning out pretty nice. I'm thinking I should start with caps and a fly and see what happens, according to online info it should be a nanao 27 inch chassis, not sure of it's a 8 or 9 I'll have to remove it to try and find a model number. Does anybody know where to get a flyback for these style monitors? And a place to get a high quality CPO for it? I'll update with finished pics when I hunt down all the stuff I need.View attachment 10893View attachment 10894View attachment 10895View attachment 10896View attachment 10897

Guess I can stop bidding on this on ebay, too bad I was going to give this a good makeover.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291067775523?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2648

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Got my shroud removed and cleaned, just gotta decide which color to go with black or white. Also where is the best most affordable place to get a nac 2l12b panel? I got a quote from river service but wasn't sure if there was any place better. Does anyone know if the CPO they use is pretty decent quality?

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I'm thinking a NAC will be my next and final project cab...i've been buying up new parts here and there in the mean time... Have any of you guys ever upgraded the stock speakers in your cabs??

Westcb

I'm thinking a NAC will be my next and final project cab...i've been buying up new parts here and there in the mean time... Have any of you guys ever upgraded the stock speakers in your cabs??

I have read where a few people have using PC speakers as they said the stock speakers were just ok, and a few comments about how they are not shielded is what persuaded them to change them. On a related note, does the stock nac power supply have the audio amp in the power supply? I keep reading it's under it but I have not had a chance to remove it yet to check. I have a monitor issue that looks to be stemming from the psu and I am having a problem finding a drop in replacement. Does anybody know anymore about the nac power supplies or if there is another that I can put in that will use the same style connectors? On the same block it also has service and test switch buttons as well as a volume pot.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
I have read where a few people have using PC speakers as they said the stock speakers were just ok, and a few comments about how they are not shielded is what persuaded them to change them. On a related note, does the stock nac power supply have the audio amp in the power supply? I keep reading it's under it but I have not had a chance to remove it yet to check. I have a monitor issue that looks to be stemming from the psu and I am having a problem finding a drop in replacement. Does anybody know anymore about the nac power supplies or if there is another that I can put in that will use the same style connectors? On the same block it also has service and test switch buttons as well as a volume pot.

Not all NAC have the stereo amp under the power supply. If you need a replacement power supply, RiverService in Japan makes an awesome one. Its a bit pricey once you get it shipped over here via EMS, but its well worth it. It has more than enough power to run anything thrown at it. It looks like this:
RS-PSU2.jpg

Westcb

Not all NAC have the stereo amp under the power supply. If you need a replacement power supply, RiverService in Japan makes an awesome one. Its a bit pricey once you get it shipped over here via EMS, but its well worth it. It has more than enough power to run anything thrown at it. It looks like this:

RS-PSU2.jpg

Oh sweet. So does this have a built in amp? And do I need to make new Molex connectors or do the one I have just fit right in? I was on river service website and I couldn't find a power supply section to find more details, I'm going to email them about a price.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Oh sweet. So does this have a built in amp? And do I need to make new Molex connectors or do the one I have just fit right in? I was on river service website and I couldn't find a power supply section to find more details, I'm going to email them about a price.

Yes, it has a built in amp. I did forget to mention that it doesn't have -5v though. But a Negtron will solve that problem easily.

As for the connectors... I am not sure what your original power supply was. If it's the black psu with the model number 400-5198-01, then its a direct swap and you don't need to do anything. But if it's a different model, then most likely you will have to redo the wiring for the power.

Some New Astro have NVS-4000-01 power supply in them. These have an amp built in and they are huge.

Last edited:

Westcb

Yes, it has a built in amp. I did forget to mention that it doesn't have -5v though. But a Negtron will solve that problem easily.

As for the connectors... I am not sure what your original power supply was. If it's the black psu with the model number 400-5198-01, then its a direct swap and you don't need to do anything. But if it's a different model, then most likely you will have to redo the wiring for the power.

Some New Astro have NVS-4000-01 power supply in them. These have an amp built in and they are huge.

Heres what I got now.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391484322.939682.jpg
I pulled it apart tonight and made a cap list. I'm going to rebuild this one and see if that fixes it. The chassis I fixed up still has a old cap in the neck board and one old bipolar on the main board (neither were in a cap kit I got). That could be the culprit too so will order those with the psu caps. If the problem is still there I'm going to try and order one of those psu's you posted and if that doesn't fix it I will take this monitor to the dump and buy a new one :-)

Just grabbed one out of a filthy warehouse in TN! It actually is one I played before about 3 years ago and I tried everything to track it down and hit a dead end. Well got a tip from a local member and flew down to it (was only 15 mins from my house). It was missing the back plate and front access door. I paid 150 and said if it ever tuned up would you let me know and he said he would. I was looking at some other games and sure enough found them. Got home and the monitor is dead of course and needs new sticks and buttons. Speakers work good and power supply seems to be working well. I don't see any screen burn so hopefully the Toshiba tube is ok. No keys for the locks which are all missing but the one on the coin box. I did find about 5 bucks worth of quarters so far just thrown around inside it. Also found a new instruction manual still in the bag which was nice but useless since I can't read Japanese. But the best part is the fully working Japanese dragon blaze pcb that was inside! Now this thing is going to take a lot of work to look good enough to bring inside but I'm no stranger to cleaning candies up so I have got high hopes of it turning out pretty nice. I'm thinking I should start with caps and a fly and see what happens, according to online info it should be a nanao 27 inch chassis, not sure of it's a 8 or 9 I'll have to remove it to try and find a model number. Does anybody know where to get a flyback for these style monitors? And a place to get a high quality CPO for it? I'll update with finished pics when I hunt down all the stuff I need.View attachment 10893View attachment 10894View attachment 10895View attachment 10896View attachment 10897

I'm jealous... look at all that change.

Westcb

I'm jealous... look at all that change.

I spent that change at Home Depot. Got the light working, monitor rebuilt, waiting on parts to rebuild the power supply, coin slot coming front Alberto, and a new control panel coming from jasen although it's a blast city panel I'll be using till I get a astro city panel I ordered from china cleaned up. Used epoxy paint on the control deck, and front shroud. Seems to have a nice clean look in person although it looks just slightly different in the pics. Sides are pretty rough but since it will be sitting between two other cabs I may hold off on getting new side art for now and refinishing the back.
6azyva2u.jpg
yjytury9.jpg

jambitboom

Cham Cham's Banana
So here's a question, where do you guys store all you're games?

I use USPS Priority Mail Packages. It's hard to beat: they sit nicely on a shelf, and since most of the games I got came in them anyways you don't have to pay anything. Just use some bubble wrap to keep things from banging around too much ;c)

Westcb

So does anybody use a monitor in their cab besides the stock nanao monitor? I got mine working again but then it shorted out and not sure how bad it is. I got a buddy going to look it over and see if I missed something but if that fails I'm trying to find a plan b. I ohmed the yoke out at .6 and 6.6 which seems out of range of anything I have here. An op I know let me check out his stash and he had a tri sync kortek and a neotec 500dx. The neotec had some curvature to it the kortek was a tru flat. I'm guessing the kortek will definitely not fit properly with the nac monitor shroud but has anybody had to modify theirs to get a different monitor to fit? If so how does it look?

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
So does anybody use a monitor in their cab besides the stock nanao monitor? I got mine working again but then it shorted out and not sure how bad it is. I got a buddy going to look it over and see if I missed something but if that fails I'm trying to find a plan b. I ohmed the yoke out at .6 and 6.6 which seems out of range of anything I have here. An op I know let me check out his stash and he had a tri sync kortek and a neotec 500dx. The neotec had some curvature to it the kortek was a tru flat. I'm guessing the kortek will definitely not fit properly with the nac monitor shroud but has anybody had to modify theirs to get a different monitor to fit? If so how does it look?

I once put a Kortek tri-sync inside my NAC. I had to use the frame from the original monitor, but once it was in, the top and bottom of the bezel was okay, but there was some gap on the left and right side. Put some foam tape on it and it would be fine. So it can be done, it just takes a little bit of effort. The Kortek I use had some curvature to it. Here what it looked like with the Kortek monitor in it.

NAC-Kortek.jpg

Last edited:

Westcb

I once put a Kortek tri-sync inside my NAC. I had to use the frame from the original monitor, but once it was in, the top and bottom of the bezel was okay, but there was some gap on the left and right side. Put some foam tape on it and it would be fine. So it can be done, it just takes a little bit of effort. The Kortek I use had some curvature to it. Here what it looked like with the Kortek monitor in it.

NAC-Kortek.jpg

Good suggestion thanks. This kortek is a 2006 Mfrd and is as flat as can be. Hopefully this guy can fix mine or I can find something with at least some curve. Thanks for the picture and I can't even make out that it's different so hopefully I'll get something together like yours.

Nitsunto

n00b
I've decided that I am going to grab a NEW Astro City. Starting to talk with Ken who appears to have one.

I'm about to pay entirely too much for this :)

I've asked him to send pictures as the ones on his site aren't accurate.

Any advise?

-Josh

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I've decided that I am going to grab a NEW Astro City. Starting to talk with Ken who appears to have one.

I'm about to pay entirely too much for this :)

I've asked him to send pictures as the ones on his site aren't accurate.

Any advise?

-Josh

Try Windy Gaming... there's a thread in the sales section.

Nitsunto

n00b
I'll shoot them an email. It appears that they don't have any per their website, though. Is there a good reason NOT to use the game room?

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I'll shoot them an email. It appears that they don't have any per their website, though. Is there a good reason NOT to use the game room?

shipping can be a PITA, cost wise. I got my blast from ken (who lives 50 miles away from me) and was able to hand pick it! He'll take care of you for sure :D