NEW Astro City Club

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
How about dimensions? Would they match up or are you gonna mod the casing to make them fit? I'm very interested in this topic.

So on another note...I have a 2L6B CP in decent shape that I would like to trade for a 2L8B CP, I mean I could just drill the holes but the truth is that I feel bad doing it knowing that someone might make good use of it and I can get an official 4 button set up. Just in case anyone is confused, I have a 3 button official NAC CP that I would like to trade for a 4 button one. Maybe I should make a trade thread, maybe later, it just occur to me now to ask in here out of nowhere.

Codecrank, if you have the template for the NAC CP I could help you with the SFC CPO. I've done CPO repro work before and although it's been a while I can still swing it.

Last edited:

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
How about dimensions? Would they match up or are you gonna mod the casing to make them fit? I'm very interested in this topic.

So am I man haha!

There's a tech spec drawing in the link...it's in mm with goofy inch conversions...I'll get my tape measure out here and check...I think it's pretty close though...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I've also been thinking of setting up a stereo amp, I have this Q sound amp just sitting there and I think I can make it work, although any given amp would do, might be even easier to get a generic stereo amp.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
The speakers are both 3"

Overall diameter is 105.7mm which as best as I can tell is about 4-3/16" compared to the 4-1/8" corner to corner I'm measuring on my stock NAC speaker...

Hole to hole is 92mm, about 3-5/8" compared to 3-3/4" on the stock ones...

It looks pretty goddamn close. And the specs seem to be almost perfect with the 20w-40w max, plus being 4ohm...

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I've also been thinking of setting up a stereo amp, I have this Q sound amp just sitting there and I think I can make it work, although any given amp would do, might be even easier to get a generic stereo amp.

That'd be pretty slick too.

I'm working on putting a 2.1 setup in mine and using that as the amp, plus getting the added benefit of the subwoofer...pairing that with these 2 speakers in the link may just be preeeeetty sweet:D

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Ok, so after doing a little research, thanks to MKL, I've been able to find the easiest way to have a drop in stereo amp on a NAC.
First up, a pic to show you what we are working with. Circled in red is where we will be pulling 12v and GND from. You'll need to get yourself a AMPUP plug for this part.
Circled in yellow is how the plug is laid out. As you can see, on the bottom row starting from the left we have the 12v and GND labeled so making a plug is pretty easy peasy.
GyXdLiq.jpg

Next up is the speaker connector itself. Unplug this bad boy as it's wired in mono for right now.
xyemReB.jpg

You'll need another 4 pin AMPUP plug to plug in to this badboy. After that it's pretty much plug in the speaker wires to whatever amp you want to use and you're done.
jj6z57X.jpg

This next pic is just to give you an idea of what you can do, I'm actually going to build an amp and mount it in the cab for ease of access, but you can use a Leipai amp as well. Just make sure any amp you use has an INPUT OF 12VDC NOT 12AC.
6PGreOs.jpg

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to help out. Now enjoy the stereo Blast City owners have been enjoying for years :D
Y1SlMDA.jpg

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I almost forgot, if you use any PCB that is powered, i.e. Seibu/Neo Geo/Taito F3/etc. make sure the audio on the PCB is turned down WAY LOW, if not you could possibly torch the PCB or the amp you are using. Alternatively, you could make a wiring harness for powered PCBs to plug directly into the 4 Pin AMPUP directly negating the need for the amp altogether. Alot of PCBs do have different pinouts for stereo so keep this in mind. You have options here guys. Hope this helps.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
AWESOME...yes...the Astros need all the help they can get in the audio department...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Absolutely, the more info the better, thanks for the advice, both of you!

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
So is it safe to use like a konami board with stereo direct to the speakers then? I know that's how a Windy is set up but it has a l-pad stereo pot in the line to keep an even load on the speakers and it's rated at 8ohms like the speakers in the Windy. I think NAC has 4ohm speakers

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So is it safe to use like a konami board with stereo direct to the speakers then? I know that's how a Windy is set up but it has a l-pad stereo pot in the line to keep an even load on the speakers and it's rated at 8ohms like the speakers in the Windy. I think NAC has 4ohm speakers

Yes, the Konami boards have their own amp to power the speakers, being the the speakers are a lower ohm might draw a little more wattage out of the amp, so I wouldn't turn it up full blast. The THD might increase a little as well, but should be fine.

Edit:
Now that I think about it, seeing as arcade audio is not dissimilar to car audio, I would assume that the amp is outputting 4 ohms instead of 8. For US cabs during the stereo age, many machines would use two speakers but not be stereo. Considering they were usually 8 ohm speakers, wiring two in parallel would drop the ohm load to 4. But don't quote me on that. I would need to see a data sheet for the amp Konami used in the hardware to actually be able to state a fact. I'll do some research today and see what I find.

Last edited:

mikemann

Quiz Detective
I've got a New Astro City panel that is cracked. It's got a great 100 yen decal on it though. Bright, vibrant. I have another panel that is not cracked that I've cleaned up and was going to replace it with. But the 100 yen sticker is faded and scuffed.

Has anyone ever successfully peeled the stickers off? I'm afraid I might ruin them or delaminate them trying to take them off. If it is possible, maybe I'll attempt a swap. But wanted to check first.

BTW - I have seen the guy making a repro decal but I'm being cheap and $22 is alot to spend for this IMO.

Thanks in advance for the help

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Ok...here's an update on the FaitalPRO 3FE22 speakers I bought...kinda pricey at $65 a pair, but they're basically an exact drop in replacement with almost identical specs...

The only thing you need to do is either dremel and flatten out part of the speaker mount OR...more easily get a pair of side cutters and snip a little 1/8" slit by the screw mounts. Look closely at the bottom right mount hole and you can see where I snipped it so the speaker mount would sit flat.
017.JPG030.JPG

Last edited:

mikemann

Quiz Detective
Ok...here's an update on the FaitalPRO 3FE22 speakers I bought...kinda pricey at $65 a pair, but they're basically an exact drop in replacement with almost identical specs...

The only thing you need to do is either dremel and flatten out part of the speaker mount OR...more easily get a pair of side cutters and snip a little 1/8" slit by the screw mounts. Look closely at the bottom right mount hole and you can see where I snipped it so the speaker mount would sit flat.
View attachment 29974View attachment 29975

How do they sound? Worth the upgrade?

The original sega speaker is too terrible to me. Replacing them with any normal quality speakers, you will see the big improvement. Also purchase a stereo amp like the kidpanda did for the speakers=)

mesmer

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Are these the right latches/tabs for the service door and coin-mech door?
Oj0TlJB.jpg

In general what are the original locks/keys for each door?

To mesmer
the original latch for main door and coin mech door is this, but I think the tang you posted will also work.
DSC07321.JPG

original key and lock are sega 5380, you can google it.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I might start trying to join this club if I can't find 2L12B panel for my Neo Candy 25.

Maybe I should just do it anyway. Among the candy cabs, the Astro City is the most nostalgic for me. In the 90s, I played lots of Samurai Shodown and Super Street Fighter II on Astro Cities whenever I visited the Philippines.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I might start trying to join this club if I can't find 2L12B panel for my Neo Candy 25.

Maybe I should just do it anyway. Among the candy cabs, the Astro City is the most nostalgic for me. In the 90s, I played lots of Samurai Shodown and Super Street Fighter II on Astro Cities whenever I visited the Philippines.

DO IT ANYWAY.