NEW Astro City Club

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
I almost bought one of those right before I got my NAC. the deal ended up not going through, so I got the NAC instead.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That's a great cab, good memories. I had to take a 8 hour drive each way to get that sucker, I remember I took the drive with a fellow member that also got a Q25 out of the groupbuy, that trip was smooth, on the way back we picked up a minicute, man those were the days! I used to have a shit ton of different candies, now I'm just trying to keep it thin.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
My end goal is to have three cabs. Another Astro (because I already have one and like symmetry) so I have one for vert and one hori, and an AWSD for the tri-sync.

That's it that's all. It's not too much to ask for, is it?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
3 cabs is a great number. Right now I have 4 at home, 1 NAC, 2 EII and a Goldie. I do miss having a big wood cab like the big blue or the big red but the Goldie is nice and it's actually next to a bar I use as my dining room. The 3 candies have their own mini arcade room and that's all I need. As a matter of fact I might sell the NAC and just keep the 2 EII cabs, one with 4 button and the other with six should cover all my needs. I don't care much for trysynch games, maybe some of the guilty gears and Capcom games for the Naomi but other than that I'm happy with my DC but everyone has their own way of doing things.

ATM I have one old school setup in my bedroom, is a big bedroom so is not really taking much space, is just a 27" wega that I can rotate easily if need be. I play all my old consoles in there and it's great. If I could just have my Goldie and this setup in the arcade room I'll be all set but the NAC would have to go to make that happen and I'm just not ready to let go, but trust me, less is more.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I have to agree with BIGTIME, supers all the way! I also play with all sorts of hardware and I have to say I like supers for everything, fighting and shooting, it's the quick spring to center and tight quick activation that makes me prefer the super over anything else. All other sticks have a dead zone, the super has none.

Diagonal markers and square gates feel like training wheels for me, I can find my way around a cornerless stick no problem. I use JLW with oval gates for this very reason, very close concept design to the supers. I had to change my cabs to JLF 'cause my friends started complaining. Supers require finessed and strength all at once, it't like training with weights.

Dashing is also much more fluid on supers, it just is. I love all the sticks and brands and it's kinda like instruments you know, after a while you start liking different assets for different reasons. As always it all comes down to preference. I feel however that Happ bashing is usually for the most part ignorant. It's good stuff, it's designed differently and that's just it. There's nothing superior about one stick against another sans the little quick harness instead of having to wire microswitches. That's about the only advantage I see, the rest is just a different feel.

I have yet to try the circular gate on the JLF, I have square and octagonals but I really wanna get a hold of some circular gates and see what's up! What's your take on those BIGTIME?

I don't think anyone, no matter which guide they're using, has issues knowing which direction they're holding. I think the training wheel analogy is much more fitting when compared to using a circular gate because both are more limiting than using a square plate or a bike without training wheels. With a square gate, you don't have to rely on a guide to do your qcf motions for you. ;)

I grew up on the square gate so it's definitely the most comfortable for me because of that. I installed some HAPP's with circle ones in my Dynamo and it just feels really weird.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't think anyone, no matter which guide they're using, has issues knowing which direction they're holding. I think the training wheel analogy is much more fitting when compared to using a circular gate because both are more limiting than using a square plate or a bike without training wheels. With a square gate, you don't have to rely on a guide to do your qcf motions for you. ;)

I grew up on the square gate so it's definitely the most comfortable for me because of that. I installed some HAPP's with circle ones in my Dynamo and it just feels really weird.
Lol, I couldn't disagree more. What people complaint abou on circular actuators is the diagonals 'cause they obviously can't find their way on a free stick. Square gates have never been difficult to pull qcf, you gotta be ill to not be able to use a square gate. It feels restrictive though, and well at least there's plenty of variety for everyone to get their groove on.

I laughed though, seriously I think we should find out who's got the training wheels on a SF match. Let's do it!

Last edited:

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
If I could have just 3 cabs... I'd want an Astro, a Uni or NNC, and a Vewlix. If I could have 6... double that.

I only have an NAC right now, but I will probably be grabbing a 31killy at some point soon.

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm so envious of you guys that have room for more than one cab. In an ideal world I'd have one more cab, (one hori and one vert) maybe a Blast or a New Net City with a tri-res monitor.

Here's an old pic of my NAC:
5031221990_440995a0c8.jpg

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Got a new power supply for my NAC today. Can also use this on a Blast City, but since the Blast already has a good PSU, why bother. It is a lot smaller and lighter than I thought it would be.

RS-PSU3.jpg

RS-PSU2.jpg

RS-PSU1.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm so envious of you guys that have room for more than one cab. In an ideal world I'd have one more cab, (one hori and one vert) maybe a Blast or a New Net City with a tri-res monitor.

Here's an old pic of my NAC:
5031221990_440995a0c8.jpg
Post that in the NAC club, we do have a club you know.

300wins, that PSU looks great. I have an old PSU that works with both NAC and BC and damn that thing is a beast! Does this PSU gives you enough juice to work with the cave SH3 games? I know that is a issue for some Sega PSUs.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
I would be highly surprised if it didn't work with Cave games. Though I did notice that it doesn't have -5v. Do Cave games need -5v?

Post that in the NAC club, we do have a club you know.

300wins, that PSU looks great. I have an old PSU that works with both NAC and BC and damn that thing is a beast! Does this PSU gives you enough juice to work with the cave SH3 games? I know that is a issue for some Sega PSUs.

childsremix

Overtop Pathfinder
Got a new power supply for my NAC today. Can also use this on a Blast City, but since the Blast already has a good PSU, why bother. It is a lot smaller and lighter than I thought it would be.

RS-PSU3.jpg

RS-PSU2.jpg

RS-PSU1.jpg

Where did you buy this?

EDIT: You got this from RS?

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
That's pretty sick 300wins... I wish you would have told me about that, I would have gotten one too and we could have split the shipping costs.

Oh well, maybe I'll get one on my own.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Sorry man, I didn't know. Then again, I might have bought it before I met you.
Well, next time I buy something, I will ask the locals.

That's pretty sick 300wins... I wish you would have told me about that, I would have gotten one too and we could have split the shipping costs.

Oh well, maybe I'll get one on my own.

defor

Geese's Thug
I live on the east coast, but if it saves on shipping, I wouldn't mind splitting shipping or whatever with someone for a pair of them, now that i know it's a lot smaller than the pics made it out to be... looks like it'll fit perfectly where I've rewired my psu and amp to be...

I should probably post pics of my rewiring project at some point, eh?

I'm a NAC owner for a few months now. It's not without it's flaws (the cab design I mean), but it's my first candy so I love it. Hopefully one day I can get a second and then 2x 1player panels and rig it up for head to head. This one needs a) The speaker piece painted, will probably copy Electric Grave and do black cus it looks sexy, and b) Could use a new control panel, but it plays fine, I'm just a perfectionist.

Oh, and my monitor has a small smear mark that I can't figure out how to get rid of, and I'm too scared to try random chemicals until someone else knows what I'm talking about and suggests a product. Water does not clean it, and it looks like chicken grease or something, it's very faint but noticeable when the screen is white.

But I'm being hyper anal and nobody except me notices these things. Here are the pics:

When I first moved it into my house it was still stuck in vertical (I hate "tate" even though I speak some Japanese, it's unneccessary lingo IMO), all I had was Marvel 2 to test it. My friend is PASSIONATE about Marvel 2 and played a surprisingly long time with his head cranked to the side like this. :D
nac_brent_sideways.jpg

nac_frontal.jpg

nac_profile.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone ever relocated the monitor control board? I can't BELIEVE you have to take apart the whole front of the damn machine to adjust the monitor for when you change a board. I want to put it underneath the control panel, but I haven't really investigated how much trouble that would be.

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
i have mine in my control panel? i thought that was stock?

Or are you talking about where you switch 15 or 24kHz?

i have mine in my control panel? i thought that was stock?

Or are you talking about where you switch 15 or 24kHz?

Mine is under the monitor bezel under the monitor, so I have to take the whole assembly for the bezel+speakers to adjust the RGB pots, contrast etc.

You are so lucky if yours is already in the control panel area.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Mine is under the monitor bezel under the monitor, so I have to take the whole assembly for the bezel+speakers to adjust the RGB pots, contrast etc.

You are so lucky if yours is already in the control panel area.

Simply unscrew it and screw it in where it belongs in the CP. Assuming you have a stock monitor anyway, if you have something else then well, you're stuck, lol.

As for the smear on your monitor, it's glass, try windex or whatever. If that doesn't work, they polish out real nice with Novus 1/2/3. Testocules had a thread on it somewhere... I'm 99% sure it was Novus.

Last edited:

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
If the smear is a green or yellowish tint on the glass that doesn't come off with simple windex... that means someone scrubbed the monitor down too hard or with something they shouldn't have and the anti-static coating has been compromised.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Yes, I got the power supply from RS. Cost was roughly $150. Cuz it's 9800 yen ($122.00) before shipping cost.

Can I get a link, I need to buy a spare power supply.

Guys where can I get replacement stick and buttons maybe even a 4 button cp.

Also my monitor is dark even after adjusting brightness, how do I deal with this as I have been putting it off.