New Earth, Earth 2?.... First Habitable planet out of the solar system found

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Aliens exist. It's a fact.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
That is pretty neat. It's also interesting that it doesn't rotate so there is a perpetual sunrise and sunset depending on where you are. Thanks for sharing.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Wow! That is amazing. Seriously.

There are few things that can truly spark my imagination, but things like this fall under the category. Simply incredible.

(P.S. I was listening to the end credits song of Portal, 'Still Alive', while I read the article. How nerdy. :))

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
7100859v17_240x240_Front.jpg

Suck it, Hippies!

fake

15 Year Member
I'd like to know if the planet has a large moon and a somewhat close gas giant. The article mentions that the planet is in the Goldilocks Zone, but that's only one requirement for a hospitable planet. Our moon (which is enormous in ration to other planets / moons) protects the earth from tons and tons of asteroids and comets while Jupiter's immense gravity pulls even more asteroids and comets out of a collision course with earth. I'm sure life in some form could still develop without these things, but probably not intelligent life. Actually, I'm pretty convinced that there is life (in some form) on at least one of the gas giants' moons.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
LINK

and it's only 20 lighter years form Earth.

pretty interesting.

Too bad none of us will be around to see it. Hell if we got on a Space Ark right now I don't believe our great, great, great, great, grand kids would see it either. :(

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
No rotation, that habitable zone would be a decent amount of space but still, that's a lot of space which wouldn't be all that pleasurable to be on . It's too bad we won't see near-light or even light speed travel any time in our lifetimes. Hell, we've even given up on getting onto the rusty planet.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I'd like to know if the planet has a large moon and a somewhat close gas giant. The article mentions that the planet is in the Goldilocks Zone, but that's only one requirement for a hospitable planet. Our moon (which is enormous in ration to other planets / moons) protects the earth from tons and tons of asteroids and comets while Jupiter's immense gravity pulls even more asteroids and comets out of a collision course with earth. I'm sure life in some form could still develop without these things, but probably not intelligent life. Actually, I'm pretty convinced that there is life (in some form) on at least one of the gas giants' moons.

If it had a large moon it would rotate, wouldn't it? Don't bodies tend, over time, to always face one another?

fake

15 Year Member
It's too bad we won't see near-light or even light speed travel any time in our lifetimes. Hell, we've even given up on getting onto the rusty planet.

Not that I think we'll have near light speed travel in our lifetimes, but I do think it's important to remember how quickly innovations occur and progress. I could be looking at it the wrong way, but in my mind's eye, the 17th and 18th centuries were somewhat similar, whereas the 20th century was pretty much unrecognizable from the 19th, all due to a few innovations that quickly snowballed into tons more innovations.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle

the Earth needs the moon, but that doesn't mean that all hospitable planets would require a large orbiting natural satellite.

fake

15 Year Member
If it had a large moon it would rotate, wouldn't it? Don't bodies tend, over time, to always face one another?

Good question... I'm really not sure, but gravitationally connected bodies do tend to eventually stop spinning. It takes billions of years, though. I suppose you could conclude that the planet itself has been hanging out for a very long time since it's star's tidal forces don't affect it anymore. But I don't think that rules out a moon, which could also have stopped rotating. I'm really not sure though.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
New Earth works I guess, but Earth 2 is an alternate Earth. Every DC fan knows this.

fake

15 Year Member
the Earth needs the moon, but that doesn't mean that all hospitable planets would require a large orbiting natural satellite.

No, I just mean for the possibility of "intelligent" life. If life kept getting wiped out over and over again, it would take forever for evolution to get to a point of intelligence. A large moon wouldn't be necessary for life itself, and it might not even be necessary for intelligent life to develop, but it sure would speed things up considerably.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
New Earth works I guess, but Earth 2 is an alternate Earth. Every DC fan knows this.

It was also the name of some crappy tv show from the 90's that Sci-Fi likes to rerun (or used to).

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
i swear this was found 3-4 years ago .

I liked Space: Above and Beyond --but right when it got interesting, it was canceled.

that series was poo it got good because it was getting the axe. at least they were able to end it

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Awesome news. Gonna check the article out now.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Fortunately, for the inhabitants of planet, if any. It is beyond the grasps of humans at least for the time being.