Nintendo announces its "Flashback" NES Console The NES Classic Edition

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Unless you like measuring the e-peen online with the scoreboard I see no use in the AVS unless you're vehemently anti-Hyperkin/emulation with the Retron 5. There's no value in it unless you're straight up into NES multicarts and pirates that will fail on the R5. Pay what is it like $200 for a one shot HDMI box for NES/FC, that's it, or spend a little over $100 and get 10 systems going with it and the ability to use whatever controller you find most comfortable which may not be NES based. Not knocking bunnyboy his cart releases in the past were nothing but amazing (I have I'm Kid Dracula, did have Gradius II and DK with the missing stage in the past) but I think it's asking too much for too little.

The NES console though Nintendo has going, sure it's closed and limited to 30 games, but we're not the primary target for it, don't you ever forget that. This is meant for those on a budget, those who have memories of the past but aren't into the whole scooping up old hardware/carts scene. This is meant for those who don't want to get f'd in the ass by sub-human garbage who blow out unrealistic prices on those old games that are the 30 included on this box. Ever add up the average price of a A-/B+ quality cart only game of all 30 individually plus the price of a solid original NES (or if need be a stupid clone box that won't screw them up?) HUGE savings, eats up no space comparatively at all, and it's brainless easy to use without having to wire up an old system and the ignorant blow in the carts ritual either. $60 system at $2 a game with a tiny footprint that works on an HDMI system vs getting the real deal...huge turn off to anyone who isn't a collectard or feeling a shred of that gold fever. And yes while emulators and ROMs are free, there's a wall to setting them up people may have an issue with depending on their preferred format.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Unless you like measuring the e-peen online with the scoreboard I see no use in the AVS unless you're vehemently anti-Hyperkin/emulation with the Retron 5. There's no value in it unless you're straight up into NES multicarts and pirates that will fail on the R5. Pay what is it like $200 for a one shot HDMI box for NES/FC, that's it, or spend a little over $100 and get 10 systems going with it and the ability to use whatever controller you find most comfortable which may not be NES based. Not knocking bunnyboy his cart releases in the past were nothing but amazing (I have I'm Kid Dracula, did have Gradius II and DK with the missing stage in the past) but I think it's asking too much for too little.

The NES console though Nintendo has going, sure it's closed and limited to 30 games, but we're not the primary target for it, don't you ever forget that. This is meant for those on a budget, those who have memories of the past but aren't into the whole scooping up old hardware/carts scene. This is meant for those who don't want to get f'd in the ass by sub-human garbage who blow out unrealistic prices on those old games that are the 30 included on this box. Ever add up the average price of a A-/B+ quality cart only game of all 30 individually plus the price of a solid original NES (or if need be a stupid clone box that won't screw them up?) HUGE savings, eats up no space comparatively at all, and it's brainless easy to use without having to wire up an old system and the ignorant blow in the carts ritual either. $60 system at $2 a game with a tiny footprint that works on an HDMI system vs getting the real deal...huge turn off to anyone who isn't a collectard or feeling a shred of that gold fever. And yes while emulators and ROMs are free, there's a wall to setting them up people may have an issue with depending on their preferred format.

If you already have a huge NES collection then the retron is fine. But if you're like me and sold everything off long ago, the ability to use an Everdrive with the AVS is worth the price of admission alone. Would you rather spend $160 on a system and countless hundreds of dollars in games, or $180 on the system and $110 on a flash cart the plays everything? I chose the latter.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'd buy the games or just not have them, but that's preference as I feel I have a bad case of ADD when it comes to flash kits. I've had 2 of bunnyboy's power pak devices and never used them well enough to justify the cost for them. I tend to devalue games to nothing when they're on a flash kit so I never stick to anything as I have nothing invested into them so I get a bunch of 1 to 2 time 5min spurts out of a game before I go to the next and accomplish nothing. But as I said, personal thing, so I got rid of flash devices I had for home consoles. I'd rather have 50 games than 500 if I use the 50 and enjoy them, not that I'd have time to play 500 either.

The R5 in theory can run anything bootleg, it just depends how it is done. With the NES it comes down to the mapper and if it's understood and the CRC check is within the system so it's the worst off. But if you get into the SNES, Genesis, and the Gameboy stuff one off fakes will work as they just detect the general board (SNES=Lo/HiROM, MBC1-5 on GB/GBC, etc.) Multicarts though come as a twist, if the game is really a ROM that loads into memory to load a 2nd ROM then the R5 will just load the boot menu and nothing else, but if it's a menu and games all thrown into 1 file it works. I've got stuff like the 300 game run of Qwak! for GBA and also an Alien Hominid fake that fire up and are detected fine, so have other fakes I have owned too, even retrousb's Kid Dracula cart works too. I will say if you own the Supervision 115in1 on the R5 it will run that, I was friends with their coder on it and found the mapper code for it so he added it for me. :)

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
So it's confirmed that the audio in this thing is fucking terrible and not even close to the quality that you get with normal Windows emulators.

Nintendo's such an incompetent train wreck. Can't wait until they become the next Sega, have to swallow their pride, and make Xbox games.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
So it's confirmed that the audio in this thing is fucking terrible and not even close to the quality that you get with normal Windows emulators.

Nintendo's such an incompetent train wreck. Can't wait until they become the next Sega, have to swallow their pride, and make Xbox games.

Source.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Why are you so upset? Just play it in MAME.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Nintendo dared to use incorrect 16-bit audio instead of the genuine, better 8-bit original. For shame.

NiPkkOJ.gif

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Bulbous level of stupidity is the only source. I got curious and started playing with google search variations and nothing comes up with poor/bad audio/sound for this device. The only thing that comes up with it is where someone in a comment under the post (or the story compares them) where the atgames genesis unit sounds like shit. Anyone with one already from a few media outlets doing previews/early reviews of it say nothing about praise or hate upon the audio so it seems to be nothing worth mentioning which likely is a good thing. Usually people are more likely to whine than praise if what is expected is done and nothing more, while they did add in those added video modes/scanline tricks so that does come up in stories on the visual side of things.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Wow well that video does two things. Sets the records straight on the visuals and audio, and also goes to show that yet again bulbousbeard is a lying prick -- the amount of shit flying out of that mouth every time I've seen an 'opinion' out of him you'd think he's on a IV drip of pure prune juice.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

But are the backgrounds okay?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
IDK is this being marketed to adults who care about these things? People already notice that the controllers for this and the FC version are small... as if to fit children or asians hands and not the average sausage finger/ham-hands of adult americans.

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
IDK is this being marketed to adults who care about these things? People already notice that the controllers for this and the FC version are small... as if to fit children or asians hands and not the average sausage finger/ham-hands of adult americans.

My assumption would be it's marketed towards people who had an NES as a kid, and are now grown adults with children.

You buy it as a gift for your kid, and you play together. Adult nostalgia bombs, kid wonders what the big deal is.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
My assumption would be it's marketed towards people who had an NES as a kid, and are now grown adults with children.

You buy it as a gift for your kid, and you play together. Adult nostalgia bombs, kid wonders what the big deal is.

Adult tells kid to "fuck off".

Adult re-boxes it, sells it for 2X the amount.

Adult buys hookers and blow.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I don't recall VC nes games being that dim. What is up with that?

I had the same thought, figured maybe my TVs contrast was cranked way the hell up as mine didn't look like that either.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I had the same thought, figured maybe my TVs contrast was cranked way the hell up as mine didn't look like that either.

Yea, not a fair comparison. Not saying that the classic doesn't display a better picture but the wii VC games don't look that dim. I've used the wii on a pvm and lcd and both look nice and bright.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
On my setup Wii U NES VC games are bright, but they look like a blurry mess. It lags a bit too. On the original Wii on a SDTV the NES image was perfect. The Wii U's Wii mode looks pretty good too, but it does have to upscale if you don't run it through a framemeister or something.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Wii U NES VC... It lags a bit too.

If the games you can buy from the online store are anything like the games on the Smash Bros. Wii U classics demo section, the NES VC emulation on the Wii U lags A WHOLE HECK OF A LOT. I was surprised by just how incredibly badly those games lagged.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
On my setup Wii U NES VC games are bright, but they look like a blurry mess. It lags a bit too. On the original Wii on a SDTV the NES image was perfect. The Wii U's Wii mode looks pretty good too, but it does have to upscale if you don't run it through a framemeister or something.

I did not know that. I have a Wii U but still have yet to purchase any VC games.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
SNES fares a lot better, but VC on Wii > VC on the U. The only reason I even have any Wii U VC I'd so that I can play it on the gamepad.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
SNES fares a lot better, but VC on Wii > VC on the U. The only reason I even have any Wii U VC I'd so that I can play it on the gamepad.

True, I haven't purchased a controller for the wii u yet but I do have the classic pro controller. Will that work or should I buy the wii u pro controller?