Nintendo announces its "Flashback" NES Console The NES Classic Edition

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I think it's also worth noting that the FC version ships with 2 controllers, while the NES version ships with 1.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I'm sticking with the US version. There isn't enough of a difference in game selection (for me, anyway) to warrant me buying both versions.

I like that the Fami one gets Mystery of Atlantis, but fuck that demon game.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I think it's also worth noting that the FC version ships with 2 controllers, while the NES version ships with 1.

Yeah...but they look like they're permanently attached, like the original. Given the choice, I'd rather have the NES version with replaceable/full size controllers.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Isn't it powered by USB? Any old USB micro-b cord should do it.

thats correct. it's a cord we all should have a ton of by now. the separate ac is branded. also it was like 4 bucks- thats why it sold out.

That's it exactly. It's not a huge deal, but kind of annoying. It was cheap enough that I would've dug having the branded one with the package.

While that's true, the NES has full sized controllers while the FC has them shrunk to mini. It's definitely going to make the FC more of a curiosity.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I didn't know that the Famicom version of DQ used passwords. What a pain (I don't miss that part of that era). Howeve,r this thing is supposed to have save states, no? No big deal then.

You don't want to play Famicom Dragon Quest 1 in 2016. Passwords, man.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Load it up in an emulator sometime to give it a try. They actually changed a LOT for the US version, and it's for the best. The graphics are much better on the US version too. DQ2 was the same way too, in Japan 3 was the first one with a save battery.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I didn't know that the Famicom version of DQ used passwords. What a pain (I don't miss that part of that era). Howeve,r this thing is supposed to have save states, no? No big deal then.

Correct. There's save states on the FC version as well, so no need for passwords.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
When are the preorders going to open up for this thing? Nintendo is such a tease. :(

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Amazon hasnt had a setup yet for it in the US, can't say for elsewhere who did what but as he said above it did go fast. It's going to be an uncomfortable Christmas if anyone has to have one this year if they can't walk in somewhere and snap it up or find a pre-sell still online as the Christmas crooks will be out in force to screw people out of 2-4x the retail price in hopes of finding a panicking sucker. It's a shame all websites don't limits buys on obvious troll bait (or just everything) to like 1-2 per customer.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I was about to throw that link down as I saw it not long ago elsewhere. The guy is a nitpicker, seems to really have no flaw other than the inconvenience of the reset/home button, but it has good stuff people probably didn't expect like all the video modes and four save states per title. It's asinine to assume anyone can fire up qr codes and not throw scans or even text (like on Wii VC) of the manuals on there...just plain wrong but not a deal breaker.

Amazon will fire off an email as they're prepping to put the preorders in place so you'll get the heads up to rush in and click the button.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Load it up in an emulator sometime to give it a try. They actually changed a LOT for the US version, and it's for the best. The graphics are much better on the US version too. DQ2 was the same way too, in Japan 3 was the first one with a save battery.

Yeah, the hero in DQ1 only had one sprite iirc, when you walked he never faced any other direction than looking right at the camera. Pitiful looking sprite too, they really jazzed it up for the US release. And those long ass passwords really suck.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Jp version is sold out anyway unless you feel like spending ¥9600 on it from another seller.

nio

Cheng's Errand Boy
They are still sold out everywhete i am looking. I wanna see some good reviews first anyway

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's funny...the more I see this thing, the less I want it. I already have nearly all of the games it comes with and I already have a Retron. So not only do I get HDMI support and save states, I can use any controller I like and I can use cheats.

With the madness already surrounding this thing concerning getting your hands on one...I may just pass on it.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Keep in mind, Amazon may not be getting these either. For awhile they were not 1st party stocking any Nintendo made hardware because if the high return rates on hardware. Not sure if that relationship is patched up or not.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
It's funny...the more I see this thing, the less I want it. I already have nearly all of the games it comes with and I already have a Retron. So not only do I get HDMI support and save states, I can use any controller I like and I can use cheats.

With the madness already surrounding this thing concerning getting your hands on one...I may just pass on it.

That's kind of how I feel. This thing looked awesome when it was announced. If I could have just bought one right then as an impulse item, I would have. But this is going to be yet another Nintendo-engineered holiday shortage item fought over by flippers, collectards, and mombies. And at the end of the day, it does give me anything that I don't already have. Would be much better to put that money towards an AVS, which I equally don't need.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
While I like these little kinds of things. I'm so past the point of having any real desire to get one to actually play. I think there is a market for them, I'm just not in that demographic any more.

Though I'm curious to how many will be bought to be kept in box and go on shelves for the background in youtube videos.

I don't play a lot of nes anymore, but when I do, it's on an old tv, av modded top loader, and with an everdrive. I find myself looking at that AVS, wanting it while still knowing I wouldn't use it very much.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

I'm in the same boat, and the games that I don't own on it will be bought at some point. Its one of those "it's cool if I come across it for cheap why not" things

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That's kind of how I feel. This thing looked awesome when it was announced. If I could have just bought one right then as an impulse item, I would have. But this is going to be yet another Nintendo-engineered holiday shortage item fought over by flippers, collectards, and mombies. And at the end of the day, it does give me anything that I don't already have. Would be much better to put that money towards an AVS, which I equally don't need.

For an adult that was once a series NES fan but didn't take our path of collecting, I could see this thing being a grand slam. For every one of us, there thousands that haven't played a NES in decades that loved them way back when. They're the ones that will love something like that.

Like you…I'm going to pass…the amount of dirty flippers is already seriously turning me off to the thing.

Like you mentioned, that AVS is pretty sweet…I'm about 75% at this point that I'm going to get one of them.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You guys are gonna love the AVS. Fuck Nintendo's stupid toy.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Oooooo yea the AVS looks cool. But is this going to be another intellectual property dispute with nintendo?