Nintendo announces its "Flashback" NES Console The NES Classic Edition

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Not bad, would really like to see a SNES one.

You know what would really be cool, if they included a handful of games just exclusively for this. Give us a NES version of Advance Wars or FZERO etc.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
It's emulation, right? I saw that there's save states, so I figured it was. I wouldn't mind grabbing a NES controller for my Wii though

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Guys, it will not connect to the Internet and it will not get game updates. The USB port will not read any external storage. The lid does not open. These issues have all been addressed by Nintendo already.

Given the above, I'd imagine a ROM chip is soldered right to the board. Extracting the OS and emulator and then replacing the game ROMs and flashing a new ROM chip would be a pain in the balls and not worth the effort.

This is basically what I'd expect from Nintendo: A great idea that is not taken nearly as far as it should have been (e.g., VC store access, mini-carts / NFC reader, etc.) There is literally no reason to not include 90% of Nintendo's first party titles (the remaining 10% might be caught up due to writing and music copyrights). Same goes for Virtual Console. The presentation and emulation of VC was great. But the library was a fraction of what it should have been.

That said, I'll still buy one, and I'll buy an extra controller if you can hook it up to a Wiimote to play VC games.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
The article posted earlier stated that the nes controllers will work for wii/u VC. I'm hoping that the reverse is true and my classic controllers will work on the NES Classic.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
The system uses the same port the Wii uses for classic controls for the pads. Dollars to donuts that thing is housing a Wii motherboard without the disc drive and a new front end.

NES_Classic_1.0.0.jpg

Given its size, the motherboard is probably a single PCB with the custom ports. They also mentioned save states as a feature, so its running the updated VC software from either the WiiU or 3DS.

The 3DS/2DS use an ARM SOC, but I can't find anything suggesting if it can output 1080p. AFAIK neither the Wii or WiiU used a SOC design, I suppose they could cram the CPU and GPU into that small ass thing, but then you will have heating issues. PPC chips especially have problems overheating.

Did they mention anywhere if this actually outputs 1080p?

PS: @fateXSound, its in line with Nintendo's philosophy of doing the minimal required for the product. 30 games for $60 is a good deal. But its target market are folks that don't have or plan to have a WiiU (or NX).

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
The system uses the same port the Wii uses for classic controls for the pads. Dollars to donuts that thing is housing a Wii motherboard without the disc drive and a new front end.

When i was looking at the controller i was wondering exactly that. Well thats cool then that means that all of our existing controllers should work.

Might be a cool little console to kick around with for those who dont want to delve back into actual NES ownership (IE me) but also prefers to play on a device that is aesthetically similar to an actual NES over something emulated on Wii etc...

If everything runs well it has options to play more then just the included games then i am so in on this

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Dude, fuck yeah... if this can get Wii VC NES games it would be the shit!

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Dude, fuck yeah... if this can get Wii VC NES games it would be the shit!

It won't, but you can dream and pretend. Don't think there will be any expansion for it, or other cards you can buy with more games or anything like that. I think it just does what it says on the tin and nothing else.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
It won't, but you can dream and pretend. Don't think there will be any expansion for it, or other cards you can buy with more games or anything like that. I think it just does what it says on the tin and nothing else.

Nintendo already said there's nothing else coming out for this as far as games.

That being said, there's still a solid list of titles on there. Don't buy it if it bothers you that much that this is a one-and-done thing for them. I've spent $60 on worse - I'm in.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Nintendo already said there's nothing else coming out for this as far as games.

That being said, there's still a solid list of titles on there. Don't buy it if it bothers you that much that this is a one-and-done thing for them. I've spent $60 on worse - I'm in.

I was going to say, there's a few games on the thing that I do not currently have. On top of that, the thing is just fucking cool as hell...it is. I love Nintendo shit, I'll buy one if I can get my hands on it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It will probably be just like the NGX for me. I'll get it day 1, play with it for about a month, put it away. I'm okay with that at $60.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Anyone ever play StarTropics? That was just one of those games at the rental store I'd always pass over for something else, like Super C or Friday the 13th.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Not bad, would really like to see a SNES one.

You know what would really be cool, if they included a handful of games just exclusively for this. Give us a NES version of Advance Wars or FZERO etc.

There already was a Wars game on Famicom. It's called Famicom Wars and it spawned the rest of the series (Game Boy Wars, Advance Wars, Super Famicom Wars, Battalion Wars, etc)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Anyone ever play StarTropics? That was just one of those games at the rental store I'd always pass over for something else, like Super C or Friday the 13th.

It was the game I tried so hard to get into but never did. There were quite a few times I tried to get into it as a kid, but couldn't. I then had it later as an adult...I don't think I ever popped it in a console. It was sold in a lot of NES games I shed a few years back.

I don't get it...if my memory serves me correctly, it wasn't a bad game...

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
There already was a Wars game on Famicom. It's called Famicom Wars and it spawned the rest of the series (Game Boy Wars, Advance Wars, Super Famicom Wars, Battalion Wars, etc)

Well then maybe they can put a Pokemon game on there then!

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I'll probably buy the thing. Play it a while, do some tecmo bowl, wish it had ice hockey, and then neglect it. But I'll definitely get it. I don't quite get the hype though. Sega did one of these of a Genesis, and there was the whole neo geo X thing. I don't believe either got the heat this is getting.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I don't quite get the hype though. Sega did one of these of a Genesis, and there was the whole neo geo X thing. I don't believe either got the heat this is getting.

Sega licensed the Genesis to AtGames, and they used ultra-cheap components to make a shitty system.

I haven't seen anyone else name on this thing except Nintendo's - say what you want about the games they put out, or how questionable you think some of their decisions are, when they build a system it's built to fucking last. I have no doubt this little thing is going to be built like a brick shithouse.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I wonder if it will have digital versions of the manuals because you can't finish Star Tropics without one....or they just assume everyone will Google it.