Nintendo DS Revisited

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I feel you Mugi, I mocked the ds, thinking it was a gimmick (it was) and it wasn't a huge improvement over the beloved GBA. But yeah, Castlevania. That's what got me the system too, and in reflection the DS library is better than the GBA, all things considered.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I cannot recommend 999 enough. Got it as a gift from my brother for Christmas (partly due to him wanting to see the story) and it just grabbed me. The style, the storytelling, the gruesome pick-your-own-death style and the puzzles all just absorbed all of my attention. Its one of the first games I recommend when people say Nintendo machines are all Mario and Zelda.

Yeah thats what I hear. That and Ghost Trick make me want to stop running through the Ace Attorney mid sequence and just start playing those. I've still got AA3, AA4, AAI and AA5 still but I'm really anxious and tempted to just quit and play those instead.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I dunno, I think you'd get burned out if you played all of the games in a row. Finish one, play another game, go back to the next Ace Attorney game later.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hey GohanX, whats the deal with the Proffesor vs. Ace, looks cool 'cause I like the Professor but I'm not keen on Ace 'cause you know...anyway, how is it?!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got about three hours so far. The first part is 100% a Layton game, then the second part is 100% Phoenix Wright. Both are good, but I haven't yet reached the point where the two meet.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I've got about three hours so far. The first part is 100% a Layton game, then the second part is 100% Phoenix Wright. Both are good, but I haven't yet reached the point where the two meet.

Let us know how toe multiple witness testimonies work out, if they can pull it off well i hope its an addition to the next AA game.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I dunno, I think you'd get burned out if you played all of the games in a row. Finish one, play another game, go back to the next Ace Attorney game later.

Yeah I think you are correct. I'm taking a break from AA series and playing Aliens Infestation.

Really cool game. Feels like a natural culmination of Contra into a full fledged (albeit slower paced) Aliens game. It's a slightly survival horror style Metroidvania game and it reminds me a lot of Metroid Fusion. Really good game so far.

Last edited:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Never tried it, but I'm not surprised to hear that it's a quality game. I'm usually happy with WayForward's games.

NNMf4cZ.jpg

English port of the 1st Front Mission and includes the bonuses from the PS1 version. Fun game if you're into earlier, 16-bit SRPGs.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Didn't even know there was Front Mission game on the DS. I'll check that out.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Everyone has already named pretty much everything I can think of. Arkanoid DS is a great one I didn't see mentioned.

According to Wikipedia, it [Giana Sisters] was exclusive to Target.com and Walmart.com, and I recall it showing up in those random clearance bins that some stores had.

Yeah, this isn't true. It wasn't exclusive to any particular store, online or off. It is just so obscure that very few places decided to carry it.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
What up Vman0, long time no see, hope everything is well.

So many great games mentioned. Arkanoid DS is great, so is Break 'em all.

Aliens Infestation is probably my favorite DS game, but there are so many.
Ketsui Death Label was awesome too, whish it was the full game with dual screen but hey, I take it how it is.

Those Game&Watch Collection games looks amazing on the original DS, it's the refelactive LCD, you just can't beat that feel, the feel so original. Back in the day that's all I had was G&W before NES, I never got to own an Atari, I used to play my cousins, my parents hated the Atari, said it was the devil or some shit. Anyway, G&W was my thing for a long time. Original DS FTMW for those games, I wish the G&W collections were available on carts for the DS not the DL 3DS games.

So here's what I got

Soul of Darkness, pretty cool game kinda Metroidvania but simpler for the better.

Shantae, like I said before well worth the money.

Castle of Magic, pretty decent cheap platformer.

Chronos Twins, cheap and fun, kinda like Fracture Soul for the 3DS, love these type of games.

Metal Torrent, great shmup, cheap as hell.

GG Series, they're all great, I love them all, so cheap and casual for a quick burst of gameplay.

Color Commando, stiff little fun platformer with puzzle aspects, cheap and fun.

Dark Void Zero, Great game, wish it came out back in the day, it plays great on the DS though, highly recommended.

Mighty Flip Champs, oh my god! So good, what a flip! Well worth the money.

Aura-Aura-Climber, cool cheap game, fun and it does get hard.

Dr. Mario Express, oh the pill will be popping! Excellent, my favorite version of this game.

Puzzle League Express, worth it if you liked Tetris Attack and Pokémon Puzzle League, I love this puzzle game.

That's it for DL games, I have 1300 points left in my DSi, I'd take some recommends if anyone knows about something fun non RPG. Sorry fellas, I'm an action guy.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Never tried it, but I'm not surprised to hear that it's a quality game. I'm usually happy with WayForward's games.

NNMf4cZ.jpg

English port of the 1st Front Mission and includes the bonuses from the PS1 version. Fun game if you're into earlier, 16-bit SRPGs.
Never knew that one existed. I loved 3 on the PS1.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
did anyone say Knights in the Nightmare yet?

fucking amazing game

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I got a Supercard DSTwo in yesterday that I've been playing around with. It has some interesting features in addition to loading DS roms, the best of which is GBA emulation in a DSi. It's not 100% perfect, but it's really damn good, plays in native resolution on the giant DSXL screen, and best of all, finally has remappable buttons. The only annoying thing is that to get good speed you have to go into the options and set the DS CPU speed to full EVERY SINGLE TIME you load a game, it doesn't save the setting. It's also supposed to have the best SNES emulator due to the onboard CPU, but I found it to be a bit lacking. As a pleasant surprise, there is a SMS/GG emulator that isn't specific to this card, but it runs beautifully.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
To those who played and finished Aliens: Infestation.

I just finished it. Is that it? Like you fight that boring ass last boss, then thats it credits role the end?

If so this may be one of the most anti climactic endings I have ever seen. Like damn near random ass NES game level resolution. Oh well the game was still decent.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The real challenge is to beat it with no soldiers lost. Yes the end isn't what you expect but it's the gameplay that really packs the punch.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Here's a scan of the U.S. version of Giana Sisters. They're HQd in minneapolis, which is interesting.

sddzqa.jpg

dr_spizzah21

Rugal's Thug
God the DS is probably my favorite console, it's easily my favorite handheld.
Loved the Layton series and Heartgold/soulsilver is always a treat.
Over the last few months I've started collecting games for the DS(mostly cause region free) and I'm hoping to build up a sizable collection

One game that I dont think has been mentioned yet is Feel The Magic: XX/XY?
Thats a pretty fun game to take a look at if you haven't played it before.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
did anyone say Knights in the Nightmare yet?

fucking amazing game
Tell me more about it bud, I've seen it around the shelves at gamestop, dunno what it is.
Yo EG, I'm hanging in, how about you?
Doing well partner, still got all them marquees you hooked me up with.

I got a Supercard DSTwo in yesterday that I've been playing around with. It has some interesting features in addition to loading DS roms, the best of which is GBA emulation in a DSi. It's not 100% perfect, but it's really damn good, plays in native resolution on the giant DSXL screen, and best of all, finally has remappable buttons. The only annoying thing is that to get good speed you have to go into the options and set the DS CPU speed to full EVERY SINGLE TIME you load a game, it doesn't save the setting. It's also supposed to have the best SNES emulator due to the onboard CPU, but I found it to be a bit lacking. As a pleasant surprise, there is a SMS/GG emulator that isn't specific to this card, but it runs beautifully.
This I'm interested in. I have a bypass card and 2 EZFlash cards, I was playing pocket NEW on GBA SP, so awesome, graphics aren't up to par so you have either too large or too squished but it plays at a great speed. The bypass allowed me to use the EZ Flash cards to load DS roms, but the EZ loader doen't work on anything higher than 32bit processor, weird.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
The real challenge is to beat it with no soldiers lost. Yes the end isn't what you expect but it's the gameplay that really packs the punch.

Yeah I gave up on that early on lol like after the first boss. The gameplay just wasn't engaging enough for me to care to do a no death run. I just found the few characters I liked the most and kept them alive at all cost. The rest I used as extra lives. It would have been better if they allowed you to swap out characters or just recruit everyone you meet but keep your core party at four members....idk

Plus it doesn't seem like there is any real benefit for doing a no death run anyway.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I get you, I just like doing shit like that for personal gain, nothing else. It's an acquired taste game, that's for sure, I'm sure there are games you think are awesome and I probably wouldn't find that great, so I'm completely biased 'cause I love the sprite work, I love wayforward, I love Bachalo and I love Aliens.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I still liked it a lot.

I know its not likely but I would love to see them try this formula again. Maybe have each character be unique with different sprites, different weapon load outs, less linear stage design a bit more like Castlevania and Metroid (game didn't encourage exploration), wouldn't hurt to have the characters interacting a bit more to get the player more invested in keeping them alive.

Still was a pretty cool game and well worth the playthrough

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
One game that I dont think has been mentioned yet is Feel The Magic: XX/XY?
Thats a pretty fun game to take a look at if you haven't played it before.

It's a fun game that doesn't take itself too seriously. I never played the sequel The Rub Rabbits. RUB IT!

Metroid pinball is fun and well designed. The sections where you transform into samus and shoot creatures really disrupts the flow of the game. Rumble is awesome too.