Nintendo NX for March 2017. Zelda delayed. No NX at e3. WTF

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Blah blah blah, Pokemon Go.... Add pokemon amiibos, and they'll be making money hand over fist.

This. Kinda. Pokemon amiibos might be a really smart addition, but why not have a new Pokemon game that is exclusive to the NX? It could still incorporate Pokemon Go as well, but focus more on the new game. You have to figure, Nintendo wants people to buy the NX, so you have to give them a reason to want to buy one.

I personally don't like the Pokemon franchise or its games, but Nintendo has proven time and time again that Pokemon helps to sell their systems.

I really hope Nintendo doesn't fuck this up.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
This. Kinda. Pokemon amiibos might be a really smart addition, but why not have a new Pokemon game that is exclusive to the NX?

That's exactly what I'm saying. An exclusive game that works with the mobile app. Add perks / abilities, maybe have gyms and areas to catch pokemon only accessible by docking the unit and playing at home. Add the amiibos so you can add pokemon as you go. So many people would buy it just for that. If they really wanted to be dicks, they could sell the pokemon amiibos in blind box format, where rare pokemon were only made in small numbers. You'd see people buying them by the truckload trying to get the rarez

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
God help us all if they see your idea.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
The problem stems from the PS4 and Xbone using x86. The Wii U, Wii and GC are all PowerPC. It wasn't so bad with the PS3 and 360 as those were both derivatives of the PowerPC, only problem there was the Wii was significantly less powerful.

As others have said though, the Wii U is the only next gen console that really resembles a traditional game console, something that just plays games for the most part. The PS4 and Xbone are crippled PCs with weak multimedia support. It's the CD-i all over again.

Why do people keep going on about x86 and PowerPC making it difficult to port games? Unless you have to code with assembly language; or pass binary data between the two platforms; its not the processor architecture that determines difficulty in porting; its the availability of compatible cross platform libraries, engines, and hardware power.

Look at the 360, it was PPC, but main reason it was an easy target for PC ports was due to it using the same libraries (DirectX) as windows. So less code had to change.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
It'll be interesting to see if they provide any kind of backwards compatibility out the box. With all the rumors of portability a big concern will be battery life, and I just don't see a portable console spinning WiiU discs. Maybe physical media compatibility built into a dock that stays at your TV?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
It'll be interesting to see if they provide any kind of backwards compatibility out the box. With all the rumors of portability a big concern will be battery life, and I just don't see a portable console spinning WiiU discs. Maybe physical media compatibility built into a dock that stays at your TV?

There's zero chance of BC if the rumors are true. Maybe after a few years they'll release a few virtual console games so you can buy them all over again.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
There's zero chance of BC if the rumors are true. Maybe after a few years they'll release a few virtual console games so you can buy them all over again.

Yay!!! :/

Oh well, a clean split from WiiU would be best for everyone I think.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
And they are full of shit.
The difficulty is that they cannot just click compile to WiiU in Unity.

There's a lot more to it than just clicking compile in Unity. Graphics have to be dumbed down and other code adjusted to have it run well on the system.

Whatever the reasons, I've seen other developers grouse about it (Epic being a notable one), and its clear from the lack of AAA third party support that the Wii U was not a console they wanted to develop for. Nearly all AAA titles for the WiiU were developed internally by Nintendo, and most of the few that weren't were ports released early in its life cycle, such as Mass Effect 3.

AAA third party developers want a powerful console they can sink their teeth into. If that's not delivered, then they're just going to continue developing for whatever current generation of the XBox, PS, and PC is instead.

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

If they did go with the Tegra, they could offer BC to the 3DS and DS. From a technical standpoint, if they kept the source code, one could port the WiiU games to the NX, especially the indie games that used Unity.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member

If the rumors are true, Wii U systems are gonna be hella valuable post-mortem, after it gets hacked wide open. Main reason being the Wii U is a Wii is a Gamecube and we all know how much people love Gamecube. Easy HDMI Gamecube + Wii + Wii U + emulators? Better hold onto your Wii Us. Hell I think I'll buy a spare once they get cheap.

-SD-

Camel Slug
So on the subject of U hacking, how far along is it? Is it at least possible to remove the region coding or rip games to a HDD? I'd really like to get NES Remix and Duck Tales on disc as they never came out over here.

fake

15 Year Member
If they did go with the Tegra, they could offer BC to the 3DS and DS. From a technical standpoint, if they kept the source code, one could port the WiiU games to the NX, especially the indie games that used Unity.

Are you talking about backward compatibility or emulation? Those are two different things in my book.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Are you talking about backward compatibility or emulation? Those are two different things in my book.

To be clear, I'm using emulation in the sense that you would not need to have a software layer translating the bytecode of one architecture to another (like say translating PPC to x86)

Backward compatibility similar to how 3DS plays DS games, the Tegra IIRC is the same architecture as what the 3DS uses now (ARM).

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Yeah, I really don't think they're going to put 3DS hardware in the NX (like original PS3s had the PS2 chip), so I guess that's an option but I kind of doubt it. And I kind of doubt that the NX will have two screens to begin with. I think that would have been mentioned by now.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Yeah, I really don't think they're going to put 3DS hardware in the NX (like original PS3s had the PS2 chip), so I guess that's an option but I kind of doubt it. And I kind of doubt that the NX will have two screens to begin with. I think that would have been mentioned by now.

You hit the nail in the head... single screen console, if they did add BC, it would be a PIA and less comfortable then just using the 3DS.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
The buzz going around right now is that this is going to bring back the GameBoy name. Really seems like N's exit from consoles.

Also, Digital Foundry said the Tegra X1 can render a slightly better looking version of Breath of the Wild. So it's a slight bump over the WiiU it seems.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
There's a lot more to it than just clicking compile in Unity. Graphics have to be dumbed down and other code adjusted to have it run well on the system.

Whatever the reasons, I've seen other developers grouse about it (Epic being a notable one), and its clear from the lack of AAA third party support that the Wii U was not a console they wanted to develop for. Nearly all AAA titles for the WiiU were developed internally by Nintendo, and most of the few that weren't were ports released early in its life cycle, such as Mass Effect 3.

AAA third party developers want a powerful console they can sink their teeth into. If that's not delivered, then they're just going to continue developing for whatever current generation of the XBox, PS, and PC is instead.

i grossly simplified it in jest. Not fer serious.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
The buzz going around right now is that this is going to bring back the GameBoy name. Really seems like N's exit from consoles.

Also, Digital Foundry said the Tegra X1 can render a slightly better looking version of Breath of the Wild. So it's a slight bump over the WiiU it seems.

I'm hoping for the much more powerful and much more power efficient tegra x2 chips. But if this is indeed going to be a handheld, then even having something like a Tegra x1 is going to be pretty powerful for a handheld.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
^That's my take, we know it's Tegra and given when the system arrives next March they're being very mum about the guts, at least the basics. We know it's a Tegra, but perhaps it's not the nice X1 the shield console has, but the next generation X2 which is supposedly cooler, less power hungry, yet more beefy in performance across the board. A co-production deal Nintendo isn't new to, the GC had it and they shared profit on consoles sold with ATi to get that chipset it had. Perhaps we'll see the X2. It would be nice, but even given what the X1 can do, it's no joke and can do amazing work (even it's slightly weaker little brother the K1 inside the tablet which I have.) They're clearly going microconsole in a handheld format with this thing that still can be docked as a console so it's in a weird way a 2in1 all in 1 device. I just wish they'd spill so all the speculation can start and we can find out who the really interested parties are and the trolls waiting for some Nintendo implosion if they go grossly weak again (even for that market.)

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I'm hoping for the much more powerful and much more power efficient tegra x2 chips. But if this is indeed going to be a handheld, then even having something like a Tegra x1 is going to be pretty powerful for a handheld.

I'm hoping they just sell the portable as its own thing, and either sell a separate docking station or a standalone console that uses the same media as the portable.

Having all those moving parts in one package would drive up the price or force them to cut corners somewhere.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I'm sort of over Nintendo and the new Zelda. Game looks awesome, but how much should we all wait for this damn game? Who really gives that much of a shit? Even when it releases, it's just gonna be some forgettable game like skyward sword because it's been delayed to such a level, people are over it.. Nintendo apologists just need to see Nintendo for what it is, rehash central. How many fucking years do Wii U owners need to wait for a new Zelda? They cranked out TWO killer Mario titles. How difficult is it to just complete a fucking game?

This rehash cycle works in the arcade scene, but we're in a new world of gaming now. Nothing on the Wii U is as touching or memorable as Bloodborne was, and that was one damn game, the talent isn't there like people think it is.. If it was still there, Nintendo would be main lining the console war. Also, Nintendo needs to stop relying on Miyamoto. They need a completely fresh business style, and need to ditch that cartoony looking 3D design of SD style characters. That is so predictable now, it makes it feel like everything runs together.

I call for Nintendo to go to third party territory. They belong in that zone and the Wii U was a joke for a library. I am not forking down $300 on some handheld console mess or vapor ware games that get teased in tech demo's and dicked in our faces. This is about as good as a campaign contribution to Bernie Sanders.|

I do not feel like gambling my money early and I worry this system will have a lack of early sales because of legitimate consumer fears it's gonna be Wii U reloaded. The Wii U is a haunting reminder to Nintendo's behavior. The Wii U was a disaster. It sits in my living room for netflix usage. That shit is all this console is to me now over all.

I want straight up consoles, like the XBONE or PS4. Without Nintendo, none of this stuff would still exist today, but look at their offerings. What the hell are they pushing that's truly special or worth a damn to where I feel so excited I even bother to recommend it?

When you make a console that can be both, fine, but make the damn thing feel like a console, but Nintendo, own up to it.. Your core is a mess.

This is a unpopular opinion, but Nintendo has shown itself to be repetitive and way to god damn reliant on old talent from a time that is not relevant like it used to be. Nintendo suffers from 'Nightmare before Christmas' syndrome. Everyone see's that damn movie in Tim Burton offerings, so much so it harms his ability to move anyone with something proceeding that movie.

Last edited:

Slugger

Marked Wolf
Hmm...Interesting to see if the NX handheld will work as a gamepad for the Wii U. That would definitely boost sales for both consoles.