Nintendo Switch OLED model

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I think I’m gonna try to cop. If anybody hears of a place taking preorders, would you mind posting here?

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Cool, new model with screen more larger but probably Joy-Con drift "Pro" feature :LOL:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Eh. I'm reading speculation that Nintendo wanted to go 4k with the Switch Pro, but had to postpone by a year or more due to the chip shortage. If I see a Metroid-themed OLED console that scalpers somehow don't vaporize from existence then I'll splurge, may avoid it and wait a year otherwise.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
The price of this is $349.99. It honestly isn't worth it if you play with your Switch docked all the time like I do. Also the internal memory was bumped from 32gigs to 64gigs so take that as you will.

It comes in two colors. The white one and the classic Neon colored joycons of the original Switch model.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Agree on that. If you play primarily in handheld mode, this could be pretty dope. I've played my Switch docked probably less than a couple hours since the day it came out, so this appeals to me quite a bit. The white one looks really slick. Hope I can bag one somehow.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Hard pass unless there's a really cool LE. I'm surprised they're even releasing this. It seems like such a low effort upgrade. If they did another upgrade of the original hardware (like they did a few years ago) but kinda downplayed it, it would have come off better. But by differentiating it / framing it as an upgrade makes them look lazy and is confusing – is this the Switch Pro? Or is a 4K version coming at some point? Was the Switch Pro just fanboy rumors the entire time, based on leaks of the larger screen?

Reactions: jro

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
The thing is rumors are just rumors and speculation is all we can do. Remember when you said 100% the Secret of Mana collection wasn't getting released in the U.S.? Yeah we were sure it wasn't gonna happen but hey sometimes surprises do happen.

This really to me isn't much of an upgrade as it's a side project from Nintendo. The fact they added a built in ethernet port as a feature in this trailer made me laugh. I mean it's like they're living in the era of the PS2 and Xbox 360 with that kinda shit they're fleecing.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The thing is rumors are just rumors and speculation is all we can do. Remember when you said 100% the Secret of Mana collection wasn't getting released in the U.S.? Yeah we were sure it wasn't gonna happen but hey sometimes surprises do happen.

This really to me isn't much of an upgrade as it's a side project from Nintendo. The fact they added a built in ethernet port as a feature in this trailer made me laugh. I mean it's like they're living in the era of the PS2 and Xbox 360 with that kinda shit they're fleecing.

Yes and no. IMO, Bloomberg reporting on something and having spoken with insiders is a little different than people on an internet forum making educated guesses. What I'm wondering is if those insiders just made a jump from "Oh, there's a bigger screen in production and it's OLED. That must mean a 4K machine is coming out." and it went from there.

On the other hand, I wonder if it was supposed to have docked 4K, but they had to scrap that due to hardware shortages / supply chain issues, and then said, hey, we might as well release it without the 4K for now...

EDIT: And yes, I'm still shocked that SD3 got an official English translation.

Last edited:

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
It appears they’re going going full ds mode with these releases. I’m surprised they didn’t call this the switch xl.

Biggest change is the new oled screen. It’s cool how much bigger it appears with a smaller bezel and slight increase in length. It only took them 9 years to copy Sony with an oled screen on their handheld.

it uses the same joycons as the base model, so I expect no change in build quality for those.

the dock has a built in Ethernet, but they took out the usb on the inside.

they doubled the size on the built in SSD. I’m sure speed runners will be happy with the ever increasing size of digital games. I’m curious if they’re reason to go with a 64gb instead of 128gb was because of the chip shortage.

when the rumors of a switch pro came to light, I was skeptical to say the least. This is purely a side upgrade and not what everyone was expecting. If you primarily use this in docked mode, there is little to no reason to upgrade outside storage increase. I wouldn’t be surprised if they do decide to discontinue the old switch and just keep the lite and the oled for sale.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
meh, I stick with my hacked launch switch, thanks.
Also 350€ (let's not kid ourselves: they will price it like that over here) is pretty damn expensive considering you only get a bigger and better screen but nothing else. (and not, I don't count the bigger space, 128GB isn't a whole lot)

I do like the improved stand though.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The scalpers are going to make BANK!

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Fuck that I want 4K Pokemon Snap now!!!!!

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
meh, I stick with my hacked launch switch, thanks.
Also 350€ (let's not kid ourselves: they will price it like that over here) is pretty damn expensive considering you only get a bigger and better screen but nothing else. (and not, I don't count the bigger space, 128GB isn't a whole lot)

I do like the improved stand though.
This.

I expect it to be $449 CAD + tx here. $429 CAD if we're lucky.

And it's not even 128GB, it's only 64GB... in freaking 2021.

No thanks.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Hot take: Nintendo is either brazenly incompetent or Apple/Disney levels of corporate evil. It even has the mindless sycophants defending their every stupid decision and gleefully buying their next incremental upgrade ("but this one has a new stand! And an extra 32GB of storage!").

I don't know why I'm so cranky. I don't give a fuck about Nintendo... just seeing people slobber over this is just baffling.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Hot take: Nintendo is either brazenly incompetent or Apple/Disney levels of corporate evil. It even has the mindless sycophants defending their every stupid decision and gleefully buying their next incremental upgrade ("but this one has a new stand! And an extra 32GB of storage!").
Funny that you mention that, just saw this video a while ago

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, that guy sums up my feelings pretty well. Nintendo is a garbage company but they just get away with it because their fans are autistic man-children who throw their money at whatever stupid shit they put out while getting their balls stomped on over and over again.

They still make good video games, of course, but if any other company pulled half the shit Nintendo does, they would get burnt to the ground by consumers and the press.

Last edited:

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Yeah, that guy sums up my feelings pretty well. Nintendo is a garbage company but they just get away with it because their fans are autistic man-children who throw their money at whatever stupid shit they put out while getting their balls stomped on over and over again.

They still make good video games, of course, but if any other company pulled half the shit Nintendo does, they would get burnt to the ground by consumers and the press.
Nintendo is one of the worst video game companies and are some of the most anti consumer, however they have a religiously dedicated fan base that will buy whatever shit they pump out. They barely make new games, and just release decade old shit for full price with no changes, yet you see people say stuff like “it’s a new game for me so I will buy it!”. No other company could get away with that shit, imagine even a company like activision trying to release bo1 for full price now, they would get burned down, however it’s okay when Nintendo does it.

Nintendo probably has the worst fan base of any company as people treat them like some deity and believe they can do no wrong. I’m happy I got my hackable switch for free, never would have bought it on for full price with the sheer lack of new content they release.

Last edited:

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
the price is Tree Fiddy. Can’t wait for the south park memes to take over the fast9 memes.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Remember when the PS3 was supposed to have dual gigabit ethernet? Lol what the fuck for and the same goes for ethernet on this dock in 2021.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I wonder if the new dock will also fuck up your screen like the old one did...