Nintendo Switch OLED model

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm going to hold off until I hear of internal improvements. An OLED is nice, but i don't need a second switch with zero internal improvements.

The LAN port was actually a very frequent request from competitive gamers. Not that im into the shoryuken scene, but those people will be first in line for this dock.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'm going to hold off until I hear of internal improvements. An OLED is nice, but i don't need a second switch with zero internal improvements.

The LAN port was actually a very frequent request from competitive gamers. Not that im into the shoryuken scene, but those people will be first in line for this dock.
This.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
lol so is the digital version of the PS5.

USB adapters exist. Hori makes good ones, had one for years.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
New dock will be available separately, so that's cool. Probably $$$ for what it is.

I just looked closer at the Wider kickstand. The USB C port is still on the bottom of the console making it impossible to play while charging without a 3rd party stand. I can 3D print these if people are dying for one....

fake

15 Year Member
Also, maybe I'm lazy as fuck, but I would have really liked to have two cartridge slots on the Switch. That way I'd be able to *switch* from a shmup / short session length game to an RPG / long session length game without having to by swapping stuff out.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Remember when the PS3 was supposed to have dual gigabit ethernet? Lol what the fuck for and the same goes for ethernet on this dock in 2021.

Wi-fi does have shitty ping compared to Ethernet due to being half duplex. It isn't about the speed.

I wonder if this Ethernet port on the dock will keep the switch in standby mode and slightly warm. Most switch usb-ethernet adapters seem to do that.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Physical is on it's way out, so you are the unfortunate minority @fakeXsound

I wonder if they didn't address joycon drift because of the class action that's ongoing. A redesign might admit it is a known issue.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Just a heads up:

Look up if you still own a hackable original Switch (HAC-001) and check the serial number here:

You can sell it and buy a new OLED Switch for it, at least here in Germany. That's probably a good option if you don't care about homebrew and you prefer playing in handheld mode.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Won't sell or trade mine as well but you can still get the same money you spent in 2017.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Eh, probably not with mine. The rubber on the stand is almost gone and there's a small crack on the upper right side of the back. :lolz:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

Not having an ethernet port on a gaming device in 2017 is peak "we'd rather save 30 cents per machine than meet a grown adult's baseline expectations for hardware" Nintendo.

I'm sure most folks already know but I didn't see anyone mention it... there are no hardware differences other than the screen and the ethernet port.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Not having an ethernet port on a gaming device in 2017 is peak "we'd rather save 30 cents per machine than meet a grown adult's baseline expectations for hardware" Nintendo.
What's even worse is that the Switch has one of the worst wifi range I've ever seen. Even that was too much to ask.

fake

15 Year Member
What's even worse is that the Switch has one of the worst wifi range I've ever seen. Even that was too much to ask.

I'm still not sure if mine is broken or they all just fucking suck. Even one room away from my router, I don't get a full signal, whether on standard or 5G.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
No, they really suck. There's a rather thin wall between my router and the room where the TV and the switch is, maybe 5-6 meter in distance, I'm lucky to get two bars on my Switch using WiFi, most of the times it's one bar, sometimes it can't connect at all.

I usually just use a wired connection via USB adaptor.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Well, I bought one but I can't give you any impressions since the kids bday is mid-Nov, so it won't get opened until then.

Haven't had a Switch before except for the one I found in the woods that crapped out after a month, so while the few quality of life improvements may be a bit trivial if you're upgrading, they made sense to me as a starting point.

Kind of expect it will be largely used docked for now but we will see. The screen does look like a nice improvement in side by sides.

Now, what games should I buy? Have Smash Bros from the woods Switch, kid will get Mario Kart and maybe some $20 Lego game, I think I'll probably buy the new Metroid for now and leave it at that.

fake

15 Year Member
Zelda and Mario Odyssey are musts, IMO.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I've had a bad habit since Ocarina of Time, of getting maybe a third of the way through 3D Zelda's and then just stopping.

Maybe I'd finish Link's Awakening?

Reactions: jro

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Link's Awakening was really awesome. I liked that one quite a bit. It felt like they really tried to stay true to the GB original.

Breath of the Wild could have been a totally different IP, it's so unlike Zelda. It was a little too overwhelming for me to enjoy it. I know I'm in the minority on this one.