OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Last week's Orville was surprisingly good. A first for this season. Mercer basically pulled what Janeway did to Tuvix.

Had a few bits of humor, and naturally if a sci-fi show features time travel, they are obviously only able to go into the past which just happens to be contemporary modern day US/UK/JPN, lol. Its always modern day, or the middle ages lol
They (kind of) have to do it that way. A lot of the viewers of the show are from the US/Canada or the UK, so the places they got to have to be relevant to that audience. It's usually modern day, or the 19th/20th centuries.

Discovery and Strange New Worlds have made the show more specifically for a US audience. They're more of a Hollywood thing.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I think you mean Rebecca Romjin in general lol. Shes visibly older now but holy shit still so hot. Definitely reached cougar level.
I was surprised to learn that she's 50, then I wasn't when I realized the first X-Men came out freaking 22 years ago...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I like that Pike and Una are a bit older. While they're not romantically linked I sort of see them as a parental duo for the rest of the crew.

I'm looking forward to seeing more Una-centric stories.

I had a thought about Pike's fate - I bet he'll find a way to save all the cadets while sacrificing himself during the accident, and that perhaps, his injuries will be worse as a result, yeah - that would take a bit of twisting to the story as it's assumed we saw him in pretty bad condition, but what if how we see him in TOS is a result of him changing his fate to save the cadets?

It's a bit of a stretch to sell how Pike is seen in TOS today when all other Trek has pretty much established the state of medical technology in Trek could be perfectly capable of dealing with such a thing. I understand how they showed Pike in the 60s would have, at the time, been a miracle of medical science, but for a modern audience it's going to be a tough sell especially when they state his mind was intact in TOS and we have technology today that would have allowed him to communicate.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's a bit of a stretch to sell how Pike is seen in TOS today when all other Trek has pretty much established the state of medical technology in Trek could be perfectly capable of dealing with such a thing. I understand how they showed Pike in the 60s would have, at the time, been a miracle of medical science, but for a modern audience it's going to be a tough sell especially when they state his mind was intact in TOS and we have technology today that would have allowed him to communicate.
Yeah, that yes/no beep thing was already kind of ridiculous by the time I first saw the episode in reruns as a kid, never mind now. Even in the 1960s, he could've at least beeped Morse code, some fucking thing.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I mean, I get why they did it for dramatic purposes. If he could just say what he was thinking, there wouldn't have been an episode at all. Plus, you get the suspense from misconstrued answers and whatnot. In an era when television episodes were aired once and then typically never seen again, I'm sure it worked well enough. It's the repeat viewings that kill it. I'm sure no one at the time could have predicted TOS's longevity, or that the series would turn into a franchise that would last 55 years or whatever it's been.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It’s pretty amazing a sci-fi series dropped after three seasons become what it did.

Fygee

20 Year Member
And only really started becoming what it did about 5 years after it was canceled thanks to syndication. That's old TV for you.

Doesn't make sense to me that Pike can't send that message telling the cadets to not show up, and then just retire from command of the ship immediately on the same day. Surely that would allow for Kirk to take command of the Enterprise in the same manner and keep Spock from being BBQ'd in the jefferies tube.

Oh well, TV and plot and whatnot. It was a smart decision to address it early on in a definitive way so it doesn't constantly bog down the rest of the series. That said, I don't think things are going to happen exactly as they did.

After thinking about it and watching the episode a couple more times, I think the role of Kirk was miscast. Dude did a good job of acting, but he looks, sounds, and has nowhere near the dramatic swashbuckling swagger OG Kirk has. He looks spindly, overly stern, and lacks emotion. On top of that, he's older than Shatner was when he started Star Trek, so us seeing him as a younger Lt. Kirk next season is going to be a stretch.

Chris Pine was able to replicate that swagger and that's a big reason his character worked in the JJ reboot movies.

That said, I think that was SNW's only major mistake this season. Everything else was either perfectly spot on, or just minor quibbles.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Is it confirmed we’re seeing more of Kirk in SNW season 2?

Fygee

20 Year Member
Yes, but as a Lt. still on the Farragut. Not sure how much or how little. Him being in S1 was a surprise as the marketing said he wouldn't show up until S2.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I wasn’t aware Kirk would be making an appearance, I think the series would be better without but we’ll see I guess. As long as there isn’t some crazy retcon. Sam Kirk’s appearance on the Enterprise is already a bit…dubious.

I could handle a storyline that shows how Kirk became the man he was on TOS.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
It’s weird for the first time in a while after getting Discovery, Picard, SNW, one after another there isn’t a new Trek episode to watch this week, or anything to look forward to coming out soon of the three.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
It’s weird for the first time in a while after getting Discovery, Picard, SNW, one after another there isn’t a new Trek episode to watch this week, or anything to look forward to coming out soon of the three.
Lower Decks season 3 is coming out in August.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
There are new episodes of The Orville, for the next few weeks.

It’s pretty amazing a sci-fi series dropped after three seasons become what it did.
The Animated Series is like a fourth season of the original series.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Picard Season 3:

John Frakes
Marina Sirtis
Levar Burton (also Burton's daughter is playing Geordi's daughter so I guess nice guy Georgi finally got laid LOL)
Gates McFadden.
Michael FUCKING Dorn

The teaser of Worf looks goooood. Old Worf looks fucking badass, repping starfleet and the house of fucking Martok.

Honestly this is probably going to be garbage but I'm hyped.

Brent Spiner set to play a "new old character" - the return of Lore? B1?

Honestly I'm hyped to see Worf. I liked Worf's arc on DS9. I loved when the Jem'hadar were ruthlessly beating his ass but he wouldn't quit, and then the Jem'hadar commander told his lackey to stop fighting Worf because he could not win. And then later when Worf commits a great deed in battle in the name of Jadzia so she could go to Sto'vo'kor.

Some WILD speculation that we might get Denise Crosby as the Romulan Sela.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So evidently there is to be a Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks crossover ep. Jack Quaid and the gal that voices Mariner appeared on stage at the SNW panel and Anson Mount talked about it. Mariner and Boimler will be played by their voice actors (in live action, obvs) in the episode.

That'll be cool. Obviously there will be some time travel involved here.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah I just came here to post that lol. Boimler and Mariner look like their voice actors, lol. Intentional? Probably.

I hope this is a fun episode like the DS9 trouble with tribbles episode.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Some WILD speculation that we might get Denise Crosby as the Romulan Sela.

Sadly this rumor got shot down, but the S3 Villian is a woman who apparently toy has not been in trek before.

I hope it’s not another Picard clone.

Sounds like after Picard we’re potentially going to get some more series in addition to SNW.

Will there be a Discovery S5?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Will there be a Discovery S5?

Please no. I had about 7 or 8 episodes downloaded that I hadn't watched of the 4th season of Discovery and the other day I looked at it on my plex server and said "Fuck it.." and just deleted it.

Someone already said it, it might have been you, Duf - the only good thing Discovery gave us (apart from Saru) is Strange New Worlds.

I haven't hated a Trek show this much since Voyager. But at least Voyager was Trek, and not some woke-ass bullshit soapbox. Fuck Discovery.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I heard someone say Discovery was/is New Coke and SNW is the return to the classic formula.

:keke:
Picard and SNW are a step in the right direction (compared to Discovery), but The Orville is still far closer to the original Star Trek formula (there is more to it than you might think). But Orville still has a significant amount of "modern" content (compared to Voyager and Enterprise), which probably can't be avoided these days. To get it right (as much as possible), you probably have to have somebody from the old ST era working on the show, such as Brannon Braga.

Seth MacFarlane is a big fan of the old Star Trek, and it shows, in the way he gets a lot of things right. He also guest starred a couple of times on Enterprise, which was the last of the old ST shows.

Last edited: