Old style stick issue

MegaUST

n00b
Hi,
I recently bought a couple old style AES controllers that I found at a very good price, they work, but in both if I move the stick in a direction too much the stick gets a little higher and moves a little more to the direction, almost like it is getting out of its base inside the stick. My other stick that I had before doesn’t have this behavior, and disassembling the sticks I didn’t find anything off. Is it normal or could it be some worn part that can be replaced?

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Some pictures/video might help.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Are they converted Neo Geo X joysticks? Those had that issue since their joystick designs weren't 1:1 with original sticks. Only real fix was to swap the stick assembly from a real Neo stick.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Hi,
I recently bought a couple old style AES controllers that I found at a very good price, they work, but in both if I move the stick in a direction too much the stick gets a little higher and moves a little more to the direction, almost like it is getting out of its base inside the stick. My other stick that I had before doesn’t have this behavior, and disassembling the sticks I didn’t find anything off. Is it normal or could it be some worn part that can be replaced?

IF its original AES sticks, it could be a spring issue. You'd have to disassemble the stick, and stretch out the spring where it still keeps its shape but is extended. It does make the stick feel tighter as well. So be weary of that if that isn't your preference.

MegaUST

n00b
Thanks for the replies, they are both original AES, not NEO GEO X. I’m not sure how to add a video here, but I have one showing the issue, maybe it could be a spring issue

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Are they converted Neo Geo X joysticks? Those had that issue since their joystick designs weren't 1:1 with original sticks. Only real fix was to swap the stick assembly from a real Neo stick.
Man, fuck the Neo Geo X. The sticks aren't even good for modding? It's now officially only good as a retropie case. Goobs!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Man, fuck the Neo Geo X. The sticks aren't even good for modding? It's now officially only good as a retropie case. Goobs!

They're alright if you can get them cheap. But original Neo sticks really aren't that great to begin with, and a knockoff is even worse. They're better than a lot of the trash out there though. If modding in 2024 though you'd be better off starting with an old Madcatz shell or gutting a current Mayflash stick or something. Hell, Aliexpress even has some plexi sticks that don't look half bad.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
My favorite will always be repurposing Konami Hypersticks from YJA. Call me a goob but I love the look of that thing and the Seimitsu stuff in it is not bad when not worn out.