Original gameboy!!

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
I've had almost every handheld going but I still can't stop buying for my old gameboy love the scaled down versions of Sam Sho, fatal fury and Double dragon. I think it's the price u can't knock paying a couple of £ to try out games u never had on this system as a kid. Just picked up Gargoyles quest which is pretty awesome little ghosts n goblins rpg spinoff. So anyone here still have some love for the beige brick?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
For sure, never owned the original version but I always wanted one as a kid. I ended up getting the smaller version a few years later. It's a great piece of gear that just reeks of late 80's / ealry 90's. I used to love how the magazines struggled to take images of the games, they always looked different in every mag.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
First version I bought was the gameboy pocket. When gameboy color came out I bought it, too. Then I won a gameboy advance so that one wasn't bought. Still play 'em on the road - can't go wrong with good games and long battery lives.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Would just like to say, excellent choice in Gargoyle's Quest. It's my favorite game of all time. I've seriously beaten it nearly 300 times. I still have my original copy and the manual. The box, and other Game Boy boxes I had as a kid, were thrown away by my parents, unfortunately.

I've been collecting complete in box GB stuff for a few years now and I have about 220, ATM. If this is a system you're seriously trying to collect, it will be slow going because decent shape complete in box stuff is pretty hard to come by for the system. There are definitely some grail-worthy rarity titles to be had on the system, and they are not cheap. Few examples:

Spud's Adventure: Had to trade my US Magical Chase to get it. This was the last one to appear on ebay, AFAIK.
The Flintstones: King Rock Treasure Island: The cart is fairly common but, it's estimated that there are less than 10 boxes in existence.
Amazing Tater: Had to trade King Rock to get it. Generally considered to be the rarest game on the system next to New International Version Bible.

For me, I don't intend to collect every game, as for every system, there's going to be a lot of crap games, unfortunately. Every game I want ATM is in the low to mid 3 figures. My most wanted right now would be Kid Dracula and Mr. Do!.

I would just like to clarify that I collect US versions, not PAL. The games I mentioned earlier are much more common in Europe. You can tell the difference by the Nintendo seals: US has oval seals and PAL has round seals.

Jon

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
Got a kid Dracula last year from a car boot just the game and plastic cover in nice nick though for a pound can't argue with that :). Nice platform game big sprites doesn't it have something to do with Castlevania?

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
I've been tempted tons to pick one up again over the years, I think I got it for Christmas the first year it came out, bundled with Tetris.

bryan

Geese's Thug
I just got into this system last month and I love it. I play on a GB Color cause I got it for free, but I have decided to start with the original games. So far I have just got Castlevania Adventure and Legends and Game and Watch Gallery. I am loving the GB.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Got a kid Dracula last year from a car boot just the game and plastic cover in nice nick though for a pound can't argue with that :). Nice platform game big sprites doesn't it have something to do with Castlevania?

I haven't played the GB game, but if it's like the Famicom game it's basically a spinoff/parody game of Castlevania, much like Parodius is of Gradius. I love the Famicom game.

I still play my original Gameboy quite a bit. It has many great games that are still fun to play today, and it's one of the few handhelds that is comfortable to my adult hands. The battery life sucks, but I find that using modern rechargeable batteries makes me not care. It's kind of hard to see, but that can be fixed:

attachment.php

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You found a gem there. Gargoyles quest on the gameboy was challenging and fun.
I'm trying to track down a few games myself, but there seems to be some price gouging over here lately.

Linkloz

n00b
Oh man, that is such a sweet game! Hope you love it!

When i was younger i actually really disliked it. Everything seemed like watered down time wasters. When i eventually became less stupid, i decided to really give it a shot. Sure, there are alot of games that are smaller bite sized iterations of the console games, but that doesn't make them bad. In fact, they were often quite unique and excellent experiences that compliment the console games. Links Awakening and Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel were two of my favourites.

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
Just picked up Bill and Ted game for 50p

Never played this first time round but its not bad,visually bland but good gameplay.

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
Never fancied Kirby games just looks Like a pink guff floating through the air.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Hey Wookie... this brought up a sore subject for me. My parents did a decent job of keeping all of my stuff together but when I got married about 9 yrs ago or so, they dumped boxes of my crap off at my house. All of my consoles where there, other than my original 1st gen Gameboy which annoyed me. They are packrats so I don't think they got rid of it, so there is some hope I can find it. :D

When I played it, I was addicted to Super Mario Land, Tetris, Bases Loaded... one of the Batmans (I forget), Castlevania etc. There were a bunch of other games I had but of course, I don't have them with me. It'll be a welcomed reunion if/when I ever find it.

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
Hope you bitch slapped your parents, that shit can't be forgiven. ;)

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Went through two old grey ones as a kid. One came out of the box with a broken screen. The other one the batteries exploded in my hands while I was playing. My mom panicked! I got a green "Play It Loud" gameboy the next Christmas and that's been running ever since. The screen cover fell off so I duct taped it back on.

There's no way I'd buy games for the thing now. You're crazy!

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
U can get them from Car Boots/flea Markets for pennies.

Must be my age but give me Gameboy over I Phone games when on bog at work.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Zelda Links Awakening on the GB was mind blowing - I wonder whether the battery backed carts will still be working 20 years later? If so, you NEED that game.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Almost all of my battery backed games from back in the day still work fine, I've only had one or two die on me.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Recently bought a GBA SP (so then I get both Gameboy games and GBA games), found all my pokemon games from the late 90s and bought some other games. The SP is nowhere near as good looking as the original Gameboy, but damn the games Nintendo were putting out in the 90s were fannytastic.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
This is probably the first system that I bought imports for. No region lockout.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I just recently started getting into Gameboy again. I've got all the different version of the Gameboy except for the GBC, so recently I bought it off of ebay. I also picked up Final Fantasy Adventure, Pokemon Yellow, and Donkey Kong Land.