Owning a dog versus having kids

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
How many times have you heard someone say "we have a taste of what having kids is like because we have a dog" only for someone who actually has kids to jump down their neck with "you have no fucking idea what it's like - having a dog doesn't even scratch the surface?!"

Well, I have 3 kids and buoyed by the spirit of the above interactions I bowed to pressure and got a puppy about 3 months ago.

The above sentiments are bullshit. Having a puppy is almost exactly the same as having kids. In fact in many ways it's even harder.

You can't stick a nappy (diaper) on a dog so it's piss and shit time in your house for what has taken months of training. You don't have to walk your baby twice a day rain or shine. Your baby doesn't learn how to walk almost immediately then follow you round the house whining absolutely every second of every day.

Sleepless nights? Check. Expense? Check. Guilt you're not doing enough with them? Check. Incredible limitations on what you can and can't do? CHECK.

The only saving grace is, now, at 3 months, things are starting to ease up on the dog stress front. She very rarely shits on the rug or pisses on my daughters bed (that one actually made me laugh a lot, it was her pressure that lead to the dog in the first place), she sleeps through the night without needing to be taken to the garden now and she's very slowly getting used to the idea of some state of relaxation for five minutes on her own. With kids, the early years stress doesn't really ease for, what, 4 years?

So, in my opinion, having a puppy is actually a very good indicator of what you're in for if you go down the kids route. Just take those first 3 months and drag them out for a few years instead.

The solution?

Get a cat.

Cats piss and shit outside within about 30 minutes of being born.

Cats are cute as fuck for about 3 months and roll all over you and want nothing more than to play. After that they suddenly realise they don't give a shit about you but that's perfect because you realise about the same time that you don't give a shit about them anymore either.

You just buy a cat flap and throw some slop down for a cat twice a day and you are as good a cat owner as someone can be.

Sometimes I look at my household menagerie with a glowing fondness, sometimes I look at them all and feel like Noah, but hoping my ark sinks.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Or... And I know this is controversial.. don't have either. Love yourself, pamper yourself. Be a selfish cunt and enjoy the peace and control. Also try to obtain this whilst being married, like me.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Sounds like you shouldn't have gotten a dog or kids if its such a burden to you.

Im too lazy and dont care for animals enough to own one for a pet.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Sounds like you shouldn't have gotten a dog or kids if its such a burden to you.

Im too lazy and dont care for animals enough to own one for a pet.

You have worked 7 days a week for decades. You haven't noticed how much hard work raising kids is because you have had absolutely fuck all to do with the process.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Still in favor of a hand raised pigeon. Loyal as fuck if they bond with you, they shit outside, they don't fly off, just buy them grains or chicken feed as food.

Cats are shit animals and so are the people who keep them.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Still in favor of a hand raised pigeon. Loyal as fuck if they bond with you, they shit outside, they don't fly off, just buy them grains or chicken feed as food.

Cats are shit animals and so are the people who keep them.
There's a neighbor right beside my buddies house that raises racing pigeons. Never really talked to the guy, cuz he's a fucking nutter, but I did at least learn that racing pigeons are a real thing. Each one is painted a different color so you know which one is yours in the race, and then yep... That's all I've managed to determine from staring at the pigeons in his backyard.

StevenK

10 Year Member
what kind of dog did you get?

Apologies, I missed the writing above the video clip.

It's a poochon which is a cross between a poodle and a bichon frise. I thought I'd feel like a gaylord walking her around (lapdog furry rat that she is) but actually it turns out I've finally hit the age that i don't care anymore, which was a relief.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Personally I have no desire to have kids, To much responsibility for me.

But I would be lost without my GSD’s.

Sure you never get 2 mins of peace even to have a shit but other than that they are great.

Always happy when you get home, no crying or getting you up in the middle of the night (unless something is really wrong!), easily pleased.

Yup much better than kids :)

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
You have worked 7 days a week for decades. You haven't noticed how much hard work raising kids is because you have had absolutely fuck all to do with the process.

Just because i work everyday, doesn't mean i dont spend time with my family or raise them. I taught all my kids to ride a bike. I taught my daughter basketball and i attended all her home games. I go to all to her recitals/concerts/plays. i help with their homework and play games with them. I probably spend more time with my kids then you do with yours, despite me working everyday to provide for their future.

I think you and most people need to be more productive with the time you have in a day. You an do a lot of things in 24hrs.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I like dogs, but there is a sub set of dog owners that worship their pets and it’s super annoying. I work with a lady who talks about her dog all the time and it’s too much.

Also people who don’t have kids don’t know shit about having kids. I discovered this when I finally had a kid and realized what a huge twat I had been to my kid having friends.

Cats are far less work than kids or dogs.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Just because i work everyday, doesn't mean i dont spend time with my family or raise them. I taught all my kids to ride a bike. I taught my daughter basketball and i attended all her home games. I go to all to her recitals/concerts/plays. i help with their homework and play games with them. I probably spend more time with my kids then you do with yours, despite me working everyday to provide for their future.

I think you and most people need to be more productive with the time you have in a day. You an do a lot of things in 24hrs.

If you can remember the things you've done for your kids you've done nothing.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Well, let be the first to say "congratulations" for the absolute bare minimum!

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Well, let be the first to say "congratulations" for the absolute bare minimum!

hey its miserable twat...wife left his ass and child hates him...continue to act tough keyboard bully

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
If you can remember the things you've done for your kids you've done nothing.

LOL you just made a thread comparing a dog to your kids...How much you hate them and lots of regrets.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
LOL you just made a thread comparing a dog to your kids...How much you hate them and lots of regrets.

Kids are a lot like dogs. For the first few years, the dog is probably smarter.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I would say that having a dog doesn't fuck you up emotionally like having a kid does, but it seems to be becoming more commonplace to be a blubbering idiot of a dog parent as of late, so maybe that's the same too.

StevenK

10 Year Member

And you responded with a list of grandparents tasks as though you deserve recognition.

What's your point?

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
And you responded with a list of grandparents tasks as though you deserve recognition.

What's your point?

My point is, you're a terrible parent with regrets and you're projecting your frustration to me. You dont like your kids, from your post they dont like you either.

They are a burden. You should just take them to the pound so you can live your life again.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I would say that having a dog doesn't fuck you up emotionally like having a kid does, but it seems to be becoming more commonplace to be a blubbering idiot of a dog parent as of late, so maybe that's the same too.

what do you mean?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
ah I meant what does he mean by it's becoming more common for a 'dog parent' to be a blubbering idiot.

Also first time I've seen dog parent used instead of dog owner.