Pile Of Shame?

Many of us have a massive amount of DVDs, games, books, and so forth, that have been amassed over a number of years, yet some (or most) of the stuff continues to still on shelves or in boxes, unopened yet awaiting the day we'll watch, play, read or listen to it.

So, what do you call your pile of shame? The Backlog? The Everlasting Entertainment Bowl? The Great Wall Of Physical Media? Something else? And how bad has your pile of shame become? (Manageable? Large enough to fit on a single bookshelf? Warehouse-size? Destined to be featured on a future episode of Hoarders?)

Discuss.
(Also, post #1500! Yay!)

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Pile of shame?

More like Pile of pride!

I have plenty across all formats of media an it's still never enough.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Mine is filling up my basement, and this is after spending the last 8 months continuously getting rid of shit.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Many of us have a massive amount of DVDs, games, books, and so forth, that have been amassed over a number of years, yet some (or most) of the stuff continues to still on shelves or in boxes, unopened yet awaiting the day we'll watch, play, read or listen to it.

So, what do you call your pile of shame? The Backlog? The Everlasting Entertainment Bowl? The Great Wall Of Physical Media? Something else? And how bad has your pile of shame become? (Manageable? Large enough to fit on a single bookshelf? Warehouse-size? Destined to be featured on a future episode of Hoarders?)

Discuss.
(Also, post #1500! Yay!)

Not a problem I can relate to. If I don't use it I sell it.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Enough that I don't think I'll be needing any new game consoles in the foreseeable future.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Well, considering that my collection has been downsized to <50 games, my "pile" of 5 unplayed games isn't too bad.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The reason people keep their games instead of selling them (despite having not played them in years) is due to identity. You own such and such game, therefore you are [this] kind of gamer and you have [these] kinds of tastes.

Not only that, but maybe even carts from when we were kids, because even without playing it, you can look at that game you've owned for 15+ years and all the memories of that time period come rushing back when you glance at it now and again.

Selling Super Castlevania IV was tough. After that, everything was easy.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
The reason people keep their games instead of selling them (despite having not played them in years) is due to identity. You own such and such game, therefore you are [this] kind of gamer and you have [these] kinds of tastes.

Not only that, but maybe even carts from when we were kids, because even without playing it, you can look at that game you've owned for 15+ years and all the memories of that time period come rushing back when you glance at it now and again.

CVIV would be the only game I'd truly miss.

BTW - My piles of shame include a closet and storage locker full of shit. Also, anything gaming related I've gotten recently, I've made very little time to play games, my free time is either on here fucking off, or getting away from computers and monitors.

I can break out my rough/approx play time over the last year as follows:
15-20 hours NeoCD (Thanks entirely to Whisper)
6-8 hours Sega Genesis/CD
6 hours 3DO
3-5 hours snes (Thanks to Yodd getting me cabled up on my PVM)
4 hours on PCE (Thanks to Fox1, Whisper, CDAMM, POPE)
2 hours Saturn - I have a jap Saturn from Chris, that I wanted horribly badly, lol - still haven't bought a mod chip or fired it up. That white saturn is fucking tits. *Need to locate white controller.
<1 hour on my Playchoice10 and Punch-Out!! cabs

I've probably spent more time making rare conversions for the CD consoles. :D

Compare that to my time fucking off here

Forum, chat, and LolPic shopping time approx: 3,000,000 hours.

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante

This is kind of a true statement. I haven't sold off much of the games that I had from way back when...

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Enough that I don't think I'll be needing any new game consoles in the foreseeable future.
This

&...

Reflective and... pretty accurate. The identity thing comes with simple, personal tastes though. I don't share on what I own or show it off to ppl/strangers either i.e. my identity, I guess, is my identity. It's not an advert about who I am. It's also, pretty obvious, pretty quick, when you go on forums like these that your "identity" fizzles out instantly when you all (more or less) share the same tastes and opinions on most games.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
The "When I have more time" shelves.

It's just that I never will. Ever.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I'm pretty happy having systems and everdrives. Original hardware enjoyment without the storage space needed for games.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Small pile so far (probably could fit on a single bookshelf). I usually don't buy much stuff.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I almost said my Steam Catalog, but I'm actually put a dent into that between sales.

I have stacks and stacks of modern games that I will never play. I get about 4-5 hours into them, and then I never come back.

I'm 2 Zelda's behind now. That doesnt seem like much, but it's shameful to me.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Spoiler - gold wiimote > Link's Crossbow Training > Skyward Sword > Twilight Princess

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
This

&...

Reflective and... pretty accurate. The identity thing comes with simple, personal tastes though. I don't share on what I own or show it off to ppl/strangers either i.e. my identity, I guess, is my identity. It's not an advert about who I am. It's also, pretty obvious, pretty quick, when you go on forums like these that your "identity" fizzles out instantly when you all (more or less) share the same tastes and opinions on most games.

:up: this

Plus, I already know my dick is big. I don't need other people to tell me what I already know by showing off what I own.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I call it the backlog, all gamesi intend on playing and justified its purchase way back when. I sold off a lot and reduced my wish list to about 20% of its original length, but there's still a ton of games I need to conquer.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
At the same time, a lot of us grew up with video games being our main hobby, maybe our only hobby. Grow up a few years later with no other interests aside from consuming and a fizzling interest in video games, and what do you get? People who still buy video games and keep somewhat in touch with the scene but don't get enough enjoyment from playing the games themselves.

landsharkzero

New Challenger
I have a bunch of Blu-Ray movies that I bought over various Black Friday specials that are still sealed. I never get around to watching them since there are so many shows to watch and so many different mediums.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I just call it my collection and the stuff not played enough is the backlog. But I will admit, the whole thing needs a purge across all systems. I'd like to take everything that I either wont play or wont ever hold a value outside of some freak moment where it becomes the rare taste of the week and just either do one large lot to get rid of it or box it and bring it to Goodwill. Let it kick around on someone else's shelf for years.

A lot of that happened for me from either buying lots (NES was mostly gotten through lots) or going out of business sales where the games were so cheap i was willing to give them a go. But now they need to go.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I just call it my collection and the stuff not played enough is the backlog. But I will admit, the whole thing needs a purge across all systems. I'd like to take everything that I either wont play or wont ever hold a value outside of some freak moment where it becomes the rare taste of the week and just either do one large lot to get rid of it or box it and bring it to Goodwill. Let it kick around on someone else's shelf for years.

A lot of that happened for me from either buying lots (NES was mostly gotten through lots) or going out of business sales where the games were so cheap i was willing to give them a go. But now they need to go.

Make sure you post which goodwill it ends up going to lol

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I am the King of Archaic Media and they are my subjects.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
At the same time, a lot of us grew up with video games being our main hobby, maybe our only hobby. Grow up a few years later with no other interests aside from consuming and a fizzling interest in video games, and what do you get? People who still buy video games and keep somewhat in touch with the scene but don't get enough enjoyment from playing the games themselves.

Definitely where I am at accept I don't buy anything, I just mostly don't sell. I'm wondering when I graduate and have space for my collection I'll start playing again as I'll actually have time to spend on gaming. If not that will likely be the turning point to start selling en mass.

I haven't bought a new game since 2011. The pleasure I get from gaming has also dropped quite a lot. I think I enjoy watching shows about gaming than actually gaming, and from there I mostly just like Vinesauce's corruption streams.