Post Your Recent Purchases!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't always buy new computers, but if you do take advantage of Best Buy's open box area. Couple it with a few day long sale, and well... not sure how they're making profit on a $1899 laptop.

View attachment 69062View attachment 69063View attachment 69064

I used to sell computers for a couple different stores, including BB. Computers aren't really marked up at all, but you also usually couldn't send them back to the manufacturer unless defective (and sometimes not even then.) So open box/clearance and such was going to be at a loss, you were just trying to get something for it to get it back out of the store. You make up for it by accessories and such, we sold USB cables for $25-30 (lol) that cost us $4. It's also why certain stores used to heavily push extended warranties, it was the only way to make money on a computer only sale.

One store I was at was fed up with not making money on computers so they just stopped selling them. We still sold printers, parts, accessories and such, but what they found is when you don't actually sell the computers the public stops thinking of you as a "computer store" and don't come in for the other stuff. It really was much better for us to have a small selection of computers that we never really sold and didn't make money on while we mostly sold printers and ink.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It seems like Best Buy is struggling to keep locations open somewhat these days. Microcenter is small but doing pretty well.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I'll say this about Microcenter, they haven't saturated the market like BB. I know of one Micro in the area and I have to pass near 4 BBs on the way.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Very interesting to hear they are indeed losing money on this stuff, but yeah makes sense when an hdmi cable is 30 bucks, and a laptop sleeve is 50-75. They make that back real quick. I didn't buy any accessories while there, so they lost their ass on this one. Ah well, I lose enough these days thanks to inflation they can take the L this time.

Frankly speaking, outside of deals like this, I wouldnt shed a tear if their store went away. It's just way oversized and way understocked for my wants. Microcenter, when I still lived near one, actually had enthusiast stuff. BB seems to want to push 100k dollar displays auctioned to the highest bidder for shelf space. It's cute seeing 10k dollar tvs on display I can't afford, but realistically they don't have much I care about. The fact I found this was a Christmas miracle. I think it was an online return as they didnt even have Alienware in their store, desktop or laptop.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Microcenter is a destination like IKEA for people around here. I'm only 15min away, so it's lost a lot of its luster. I'm still very glad I have a place to go if I want to physically check out the size of a certain monitor, or play with the keys on a bunch of keyboards.

city41

Art of Typing Wiz
10 Year Member
Microcenter is a destination like IKEA for people around here. I'm only 15min away, so it's lost a lot of its luster. I'm still very glad I have a place to go if I want to physically check out the size of a certain monitor, or play with the keys on a bunch of keyboards.
I miss Fry's. In its heyday it was that plus a great electronics supply shop. Like Radio Shack on steroids.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I always used to assume Fry's was a British chain because of the weird name, and I've never seen one in my life

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
That kind of attitude will bite us all in the ass sooner rather than later. Competition and choice are good things. Being dependent on shit companies like Amazon on the other hand is not.
Supposedly over half the US adult population are Amazon Prime members, so unless something changes, we're probably past the point of no return. Competition will gradually dry up and there will be only one retailer for nearly everything. Everyone will work for Amazon and love it.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Supposedly over half the US adult population are Amazon Prime members, so unless something changes, we're probably past the point of no return. Competition will gradually dry up and there will be only one retailer for nearly everything. Everyone will work for Amazon and love it.
With automation getting better and better I highly doubt that all that many people will get to work for Amazon in the future.
People need to be aware that Amazon is trying to get into healthcare (thanks to their data hoarding they know exactly how much of a risk you are) and selling groceries. They are already known for refusing to sell to people who return too much stuff. What are you going to do, if they closed your account, you're old and there are no regular grocery stores left in your area? During Covid you couldn't even get noodles from them. They were on backorder with a wait time of roughly 3 months.

Edit, just to make it clear: With "you" I'm not addressing you (Alec) specifically. Just saying that people in general should be aware of these things.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I didn't know they were going after people who return too much. My wife is in trouble in that case.

Bennett

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
With automation getting better and better I highly doubt that all that many people will get to work for Amazon in the future.
People need to be aware that Amazon is trying to get into healthcare (thanks to their data hoarding they know exactly how much of a risk you are) and selling groceries. They are already known for refusing to sell to people who return too much stuff. What are you going to do, if they closed your account, you're old and there are no regular grocery stores left in your area? During Covid you couldn't even get noodles from them. They were on backorder with a wait time of roughly 3 months.

Edit, just to make it clear: With "you" I'm not addressing you (Alec) specifically. Just saying that people in general should be aware of these things.

50% is it really that high? I got pissed off at the last ridiculous prime price hike and cancelled that shit. Dont miss it. Fuck Bezos.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
That kind of attitude will bite us all in the ass sooner rather than later. Competition and choice are good things. Being dependent on shit companies like Amazon on the other hand is not.
Tbf I don’t mean stores in general. I mean THAT one. Best Buy is just a crap place, and they’re pulling out of physical media anyway soon. So what will there honestly be to miss?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Tbf I don’t mean stores in general. I mean THAT one. Best Buy is just a crap place, and they’re pulling out of physical media anyway soon. So what will there honestly be to miss?

I'm definitely not browsing oven ranges or refrigerators more than once every 5-10 years

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I mean, movies and CD's haven't been a big part of Best Buy's business for a long time anyway, so that part isn't a huge change. They still have physical games.

The bigger turnoff for me is probably the way they reconfigured the layout of their stores a few years back. The stores now look like a bunch of mall kiosks laid out under one roof. It only reinforces the idea that they're now a glorified smart phone store with some appliances.

sr20det510

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
I'm definitely not browsing oven ranges or refrigerators more than once every 5-10 years

Most people aren't and if they do most just buy them at Home Depot, Lowes, even Costco.

It's annoying walking in the store and going through a maze to get to where you need to go. Freaking kiosks block your paths and there no employees to be found. They are busy shooting the shit in a corner with friends.