PS4K/PS4 Neo & Xbox Two (Scorpio)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
With E3 right around the corner is anyone getting hyped for this news? PS4K is said yo be 2.5x as powerful as the PS4, & the Xbox Scorpio at 4x as powerful as the Xbox One. An Xbox One Mini with 4K support is also to be announced.

As the owner of a 4K display I couldn't be happier, but with even the most powerful PCs struggling at native 4K we'll surely be looking at 4K upscaling.

Then there's also the Sony VR headset coming soon, which should be interesting in it's own right.

Your thoughts? Do you or will you be purchasing a 4K UHD TV in the near future with prices finally becoming affordable?

Rock on.

tumblr_mhofwtWGVb1qbbbqro1_250.gif

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If they're reasonable enough I think I'll get one for 4k movies...I could care less about the games.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I'm fine with my current Xbox One. I like gaming on 32-inch or less TV's so it wouldn't even be much of a noticeable difference even if I buy a Scorpio and a 4k tv. I do hope they get announced though because I think a lot of people will sell there's and upgrade. Then I can get a cheap PS4 on ebay.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
The PS4 Neo is rumored to come out around September. If that's the case, don't expect an announcement anytime soon.

Here is what I'm worried about the most:

- having to re-buy 4K remasters of current releases.
- This becoming a trend and we have to buy consoles twice every generation.
- If they opt for upgradable parts in future consoles, there bound to be performance inconsistency.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
They're not gonna let you upgrade. They'll force you to buy a new one every couple years, cause Apple, Samsung, and Nintendo have been doing it for years.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
4K? Why would I need that for Games?
I'm also still getting used to watching Movies in HD... I don't really think I need a higher res...
honestly, 480p is fine with me most of the time. Then again my screen is 'only' 24".

Last edited:

miisalo

Astra Superstar
PS4 and Xbone are not just gaming consoles but also media centers, that way 4K support is important. PS3 and PS4 are excellent BD players and I bet the PS4K will be excellent 4K BD player. 60Hz gaming support for current 30Hz games would be nice. In big screen the 30Hz SUCKS.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I doubt these updated systems are powerful enough to do real 4k gaming. Maybe upscale the 1080 image to 4k, but no way 4k native.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Perhaps with this XBox Scorpio, Microsoft will finally have a console capable of native 1080p 60fps.

:keke:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
If they're reasonable enough I think I'll get one for 4k movies...I could care less about the games.

Same here.

I already have a 4K set, and the 4K content I've seen can be beautiful if done correctly. 4K movies are becoming more and more readily available and due to the size, I'll probably land up having to rent buy them vs streaming. With Comcast watching my bandwidth, streaming a bunch of 4K is like letting a severely depressed emotional eater into an all you can eat buffet.

If some games come out here or there, fine...if not, don't care. I bought my PS3 for the exact same reason back in 2008 (watching Blu Ray movies) and never regretted the decision.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
They must be doing this to line up their VR ventures. Either way, no way I'd rush into this for what's out there today (or what's been shown to be coming for that matter).

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Surely the biggest reason for these upgrades is vr, especially in the case of the Scorpio which will seek to have the occulus run competitively well.

Edit:bd beat me to it hah

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Same here.

I already have a 4K set, and the 4K content I've seen can be beautiful if done correctly. 4K movies are becoming more and more readily available and due to the size, I'll probably land up having to rent buy them vs streaming. With Comcast watching my bandwidth, streaming a bunch of 4K is like letting a severely depressed emotional eater into an all you can eat buffet.

If some games come out here or there, fine...if not, don't care. I bought my PS3 for the exact same reason back in 2008 (watching Blu Ray movies) and never regretted the decision.

My thoughts exactly. The games are a bonus.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Unless Micomsoft release a magic box that can upscale lag-free to 4K, I'll be sticking with 1080p and the Framemeister. I don't sit close enough to my 50" telly to notice the difference between 4K/1080p anyway. I would however love to upgrade the projector to a 4K one as soon as they're more affordable.... I have a sneaky suspicion that the difference will be much more prominent on a 106" screen.

I have contemplated a PS4 but the media functionality is shit compared to the PS3, so I stuck with that. If they sort out the media side of things and backwards compatibility then I might upgrade to a Neo.

I'm quite interested in the PSVR hardware, I'm just concerned about the software side of things. And throwing up due to motion sickness.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
It's kind of annoying...I held off buying into the current gen consoles until last xmas...less than a year later now and new versions are coming out:/ Oh well, I'm going to be proactive and dump them on ebay this weekend before the value drops off later this fall when the new versions ship.

I've been waiting for VR since I was like 12yrs old, so price be damed I'll be buying into it...anybody remember that craptastic "VR headset" or the motion support ring that you could stand in that was supposed to work with the Genesis? Literally, that's how long I've been nail biting for legit VR...

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
What am I going to do with my existing PS4 consoles: 2 new-in-box and 1 currently using??????
Buy PS4K Neo again?

NeoGeoFanatic

Neo Geo Cup '98
I'll definitely be upgrading once these consoles become available. I've been looking to save some space anyway.

I am guessing its a good time to sell your existing consoles. :glee:

Neo Geo AES 4K Slim! lol

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I was stupid to buy an xboxone on release date w/ killer instinct...I just got a PS4 this year for SFV...Unless there are killer titles to play, not going to upgrade anytime soon for games...As for watching for movies, im pretty happy with my current setup & really cant afford a 4k projector at the current price.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
It's kind of annoying...I held off buying into the current gen consoles until last xmas...less than a year later now and new versions are coming out:/ Oh well, I'm going to be proactive and dump them on ebay this weekend before the value drops off later this fall when the new versions ship.

I've been waiting for VR since I was like 12yrs old, so price be damed I'll be buying into it...anybody remember that craptastic "VR headset" or the motion support ring that you could stand in that was supposed to work with the Genesis? Literally, that's how long I've been nail biting for legit VR...

Proprioception issues aside, this isn't going be legit VR that's fully immersive, there are still many senses that cannot be simulated, spacial awareness issues, and you will also need to settle for many shortcomings in order to block out that your body knows the difference. Not trying to be a debbie downer at all, just that you will most likely be trading in these VR sets in the short term too.
I guess it really boils down to when you want to jump into the tech. For me I'd rather wait a bit once they have perfected more but I'll still be curious as to what can come from devs in the short term.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
The software just isn't there for me still, there is only a couple games out now and a few in the future. The only thing that could change my mind is the new Gran Turismo, but and at what point do we say no more systems? No more games? I'm thinking the PS3 is where the line ends for me. I have just too many games to play.

They are cool, but until they can run other apps I can't live without, I think I will have to continue setting this generation out.

EDIT: I also assume VR will make me very motion sick.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Personally, I am not interested in 4K gaming on a console. The PC space is already doing this for gaming and the hardware needed to do 4K gaming right is not going into a console any time soon.

I already have a 4K set and BluRay player so I am set for movies as well. I am waiting to see what Sony and Microsoft do in the next four years.

I am however hopeful for the Nintendo NX.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I might consider picking up an X-Bone Two since I don't own the original, but unless the PS4 Neo is a big step up, I'll pass.