R.I.P Ennio Morricone

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Obviously Angel Eyes clawed his way out of the grave (perhaps at the very moment his sister was killed) and Mortimer is his revenant form since GBU is a prequel. Get it together Kid.

The only mystery is how Ramon Rojo was resurrected as Indio.

And just who in the hell keeps raising Lorenzo Robledo, and why? Unless... he's more than he seems?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I also call it the Dollars Trilogy and I do think there are intentional subtle nods to a loose continuity between them (Poncho in GBU, hand brace in FaFDM).

But I don't know why continuity or apt naming is even an issue when people are happy to refer to John Carpenter's "Apocalypse Trilogy." Fight the real enemy.

The Diabolik soundtrack does rule.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
The hand brace and green poncho are too hard to ignore. I think Leone perhaps meant it to be a loose mythology that has contradictions. Like the contradictions in Greek poetry.

With that said... when I first saw Unforgiven as A kid I thought that William Munny was a retired Man with No Name.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Super sucks. RIP

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
This thread hit autism at warp speed, holy shit I am glad I'm on the Kid's side

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
POST-ENDING CREDITS

The Man with No Name enters a bar. There's a man sitting at the bar playing the harmonica. It is revealed to be Charles Bronson. He says, "I'm starting an initiative." Revolver Ocelot steps out of the shadows and the Man with No Name shoots him in the dick. "You're not bad." End credits.

Welcome to the Leone x Kojima Universe.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
POST-ENDING CREDITS

The Man with No Name enters a bar. There's a man sitting at the bar playing the harmonica. It is revealed to be Charles Bronson. He says, "I'm starting an initiative." Revolver Ocelot steps out of the shadows and the Man with No Name shoots him in the dick. "You're not bad." End credits.

Welcome to the Leone x Kojima Universe.

This thread hit autism at warp speed, holy shit .

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
RIP to the GOAT! His scores improved every movie he graced with his presence.

Remove his contribution to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and it's just a good western.

He also made Exorcist II slightly less terrible.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member

This one is often forgotten, and is also a classic SW ending. I can't allow it to be left out of this thread :D

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
They're not sequels of any kind.

Still a trilogy.

Definition of trilogy
: a series of three dramas or literary works or sometimes three musical compositions that are closely related and develop a single theme

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Still a trilogy.

Definition of trilogy
: a series of three dramas or literary works or sometimes three musical compositions that are closely related and develop a single theme
Cool, except there's no common theme. No more than there is between any three of his westerns. You'd have an easier time convincing me The Good, the Bad & the Ugly/Once Upon a Time In the West/Duck, You Sucker is a trilogy (and in fact, OUaTItW & DYS are part of a different trilogy of common theme, which ironically aren't often referred to or marketed as one).

But these three movies are labeled a trilogy out of laziness rather than merit. What they really have in common is that they are the three movies Eastwood and Leone did together. That's it. They're no more a trilogy than Rope, Rear Window, and Vertigo.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Cool, except there's no common theme. No more than there is between any three of his westerns. You'd have an easier time convincing me The Good, the Bad & the Ugly/Once Upon a Time In the West/Duck, You Sucker is a trilogy (and in fact, OUaTItW & DYS are part of a different trilogy of common theme, which ironically aren't often referred to or marketed as one).

But these three movies are labeled a trilogy out of laziness rather than merit. What they really have in common is that they are the three movies Eastwood and Leone did together. That's it. They're no more a trilogy than Rope, Rear Window, and Vertigo.

A trilogy is three RELATED films. They don't have to have an ongoing story or the exact same characters. Regardless of whether he's called Joe, Blondie or Manco, Eastwood is de facto playing the same character archetype. A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More are obviously related based on the titles alone.

You have multiple cast and crew working on 2 or all 3 pictures. They are all westerns released in successive years by the same studio. Despite the fact that Leone didn't set out to make a trilogy, the three movies have been consider a trilogy for as long as any of us can remember. Almost everyone now considers them to be a trilogy.

Being a contrarian myself I understand you've drawn a line in the sand and you're going to defend it till the last bullet flies at Tuco's rope, but you're just wrong here, man.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
What I liked most about those is the atmosphere. I love atmospheric movies. It's why I also loved Demon's Souls.

LadyVamp

Camel Slug
The Good The Bad and The Ugly is the greatest spaghetti western ever made. RIP

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
A trilogy is three RELATED films. They don't have to have an ongoing story or the exact same characters. Regardless of whether he's called Joe, Blondie or Manco, Eastwood is de facto playing the same character archetype.
As is Bronson in Once Upon a Time In the West. Same character archetype as Eastwood's characters in his movies. And Rod Steiger in Duck, You Sucker is playing the exact same character archetype as Eli Wallach in G/B/U. So what's you're point?

If those three movies were the only times that character archetype appeared, then fine, you'd at least have an argument, as flimsy as it is. But they weren't. They're not related other than the pairing of director and actor. Jimmy Stewart played very similar characters in some of Hitchcock's movies, for example Rear Window and Vertigo. Nobody considers the Hitchcock/Stewart movies a quadrilogy. So no, I reject your argument completely.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
The kid has lost this argument 100 times and still keeps going.

Admirable.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
i guess this argument can be similar to Toshiro Mifune character in Yojimbo & Sanjuro...Zatoichi meets Yojimbo & later film Machibuse...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The kid has lost this argument 100 times and still keeps going.

Admirable.
I've not lost it once. Your side is the side of dumb casual viewers with idiotic theories. The same people who theorize that "James Bond" is a code name rather than a person and that all the different actors are in fact different characters rather than the same character recast. It almost works as long as your memory of the movies is kind of fuzzy. But it doesn't work at all if you actually know the movies.

Your argument that they must be the same character because Leone reused some props in his modestly budgeted movies is grade school level.

Although not Leone's intention, the three films came to be considered a trilogy ... The "Man with No Name" concept was invented by the American distributor United Artists, looking for a strong angle to sell the films as a trilogy.
So congratulations. You choose the side of the 1960s American marketing team over the intentions of the original creator and storyteller. It's not even considered a trilogy in Italy. But hooray for being on the side of the creatively bankrupt and the willfully blind.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
(and in fact, OUaTItW & DYS are part of a different trilogy of common theme, which ironically aren't often referred to or marketed as one).

Can you expand on how OUATITW, DYS, and OUATIA have a stronger claim to the term?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The Kid is slaying it.

#notatrilogy

#leoneintentionsmatter