R.I.P Ennio Morricone

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What's the best pizza, and how does American pizza compare to Italian?

Also, does the phrase "Italian invented, American perfected" trigger you?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The Kid is slaying it.

#notatrilogy

#leoneintentionsmatter

No, he's being willfully obtuse and selectively quoting Wikipedia in a sad attempt to prove his flimsy case.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
wyo it's not a trilogy bro, it's three separate movies made by the same crew with the same actors telling different stories with Clint playing the same kind of character.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The Kid is slaying it.

#notatrilogy

#leoneintentionsmatter

Kid.doesn't even have the chronology straight. Sit down Sage.

“I wanted to bring one period of my work to a close,” said Leone, “So I revisited some of the big situations in my earlier films… I pushed myself to treat them differently, while remaining faithful to my style. Then I took account of the fact that [Duck, You Sucker] could become the second panel of a new triptych… this one would push the story on to the second American frontier… After that, I knew I would be ready to speak of my defining fantasies: my relationship with America, lost friendship and the cinema.”

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
wyo it's not a trilogy bro, it's three separate movies made by the same crew with the same actors telling different stories with Clint playing the same kind of character.

You think A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars more are unrelated? After two successful films, UA then threw cash at Leone to make a third. Leone's original intent is irrelevant. Every trilogy released and funded by a major studio is determined by the studio in conjunction with the director. In the case of TGTBATU, UA approached Leone with a pitch to complete a trilogy. Marketing plan or not, it's a fucking trilogy.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Whip em out if you got em, Kid. This is where we make our stand.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
What's the best pizza, and how does American pizza compare to Italian?

Also, does the phrase "Italian invented, American perfected" trigger you?

Best pizza is from Naples. Haven't had much "American pizza" but I believe you refer to the one from chains and/or fast food like, it's basically a layer of bread used for food on top.. like a small aircraft carrier, ready to invade your digestive tract.

Ennio would disagree with your quote and in this thread Ennio is always right. (is that really a thing people says? wasn't Japan the one perfecting? I may remember incorrectly)

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I've not lost it once. Your side is the side of dumb casual viewers with idiotic theories. The same people who theorize that "James Bond" is a code name rather than a person and that all the different actors are in fact different characters rather than the same character recast. It almost works as long as your memory of the movies is kind of fuzzy. But it doesn't work at all if you actually know the movies.

Your argument that they must be the same character because Leone reused some props in his modestly budgeted movies is grade school level.

Well, I know when the civil war happened and that it establishes a clear chronological order.. sooo I'm not the one that needs an education.

I don't care enough about this to continue arguing and your lack of comprehension is clear when you go back and read my post. I said I actually *want* your side to be correct and that the best anyone can manage is "maybe" but defintely not your side.

Get bent about it, it's hilarious.

Tacitus

Staff member
Wow, I can't believe we changed his mind so quickly that he edited his custom rank to reflect it.

:keke:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Can I have new custom rank plz?

Is Mr. Wrestling IV taken?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The Kid:

GoodBadUgly_140Pyxurz.jpg

VT:

85105423.jpg

Comrade wyo:

eli-wallach-as-tuco-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly.jpg

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Can’t say I’ve ever considered them a trilogy, in the same way I don’t consider Fulci’s three Gates of Hell films a trilogy.

Argento’s The Three Mothers is an example of a trilogy.

Tacitus

Staff member
The things some of you get triggered or heated over...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The things some of you get triggered or heated over...

What do you mean by "you"? You assign some level of anger to me that I've never felt in this thread. But who is the one who actually lashed out? That would be you.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
It is a lot like that because you are 100% wrong in both cases.

This was a solid burn, STK, but I still consider you a forum friend.
Spoiler:
And it's still a trilogy, ya fucken fagit!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
This was a solid burn, STK, but I still consider you a forum friend.
Spoiler:
And it's still a trilogy, ya fucken fagit!

The only person I dislike here is saner. I'm fine with everyone else; I don't really care if people disagree with me and I enjoy Stage instigating and winding me up to argue nonsense for no reason as much as anyone. And I definitely enjoy arguing over topics that don't matter as if they do more than I enjoy arguing about things that are actually important. Especially over the past several years as it's become increasingly popular to lazily shut down opposing views with glib accusations and buzz words rather than debate.

That being said, they aren't the same character. Even the "no name" thing is a misnomer coined by a UA marketing guy who didn't notice that Eastwood's character was called by name in Fistful. And all three characters have different professions. Joe is a mercenary. Manco is a bounty hunter in service of the law. And Blondie is a con man who only pretends to be a bounty hunter. Manco is left handed for everything except shooting. Joe and Blondie are not. Yeah, all three are laconic and stoic. But that's true of many of Eastwood's other western roles, including his American movies.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Well that's why it's the Dollars Trilogy instead of the Man With No Name Trilogy. Even then, all those are generic names that others give him. Monco ("one handed," clearly as much of a conferred nickname as "Blondie") doesn't just favor his left hand for everything but shooting, he keeps his shooting hand in reserve. As an older and more experienced gunfighter, he's learned to keep his shooting hand ready.

I could argue that his right hand isn't good for much but shooting after the Rojos tortured him, which is why he keeps it in that brace, but I'm not sure the instant playback of the torture would support me in terms of which hand gets injured in that scene and I won't expect the leeway to chalk that up to a continuity error between movies.

Making distinctions between what the character "is" in each movie is the weakest part of your argument. In fact it's one of the motifs that binds the Dollars Trilogy more strongly than any considerations of continuity. Principal characters slip into new identities as it suits them over the.course of all three movies. Or do you believe Angel Eyes mistreats prisoners out of a genuine anger over things the South has done? That's just how these men operate.

The mercenary and opportunistic nature of the Eastwood character also distinguishes him from Harmonica, who is motivated by a personal vendetta and has more in common with a Mortimer, or a Django. The conventional categorization of characters in Spaghetti westerns as being a "Good," "Bad," or "Ugly" is really barely applicable to OUATITW. Angel Eyes would never have felt compelled, as Frank does, to a final confrontation with no material reward.