Racer of the Month?

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Not sure how it would work, but I think it could be great.

Anyone interested?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Game, track, car, best time?

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Game, track, car, best time?

Thats what I was thinking.

I know some games would be easier than others to play competitively, Sega Rally 2 has arcade and 10 year championship mode.

Potential games:

Sega Rally series
Daytona
Ridge Racer series
F-Zero series
Outrun series

Feel free to make suggestions, I havent played many of the Codemasters racers but I'd be willing to pick them up.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'm in for Outrun 2 or Daytona. Is this a combination of arcade and console or just console only?

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I'm in for Outrun 2 or Daytona. Is this a combination of arcade and console or just console only?

I only have console stuff personally but if there isn't much difference between versions (aside from controls) I think arcade and console should be able to go head to head.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I don't know how often i'd participate - but if you can make it competitive it can be fun. We did this w/Star Wars Ep 1 Pod Racer on another forum and it was good fun.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I'm interested in this as well. I would love to do Neo Drift Out especially. Within a couple months i might also be able to pick up a Cruis'n World arcade machine but that's for later. Outrun 2 on the original Xbox is on my pick up list as well and it has an unlockable original Outrun in it.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'm interested in this as well. I would love to do Neo Drift Out especially. Within a couple months i might also be able to pick up a Cruis'n World arcade machine but that's for later. Outrun 2 on the original Xbox is on my pick up list as well and it has an unlockable original Outrun in it.

Pick up 2006 as well. It's worth owning both versions.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Yes to this. We could always to kart racers as well. I'm big into Gran Turismo these days but that might be a little harder to set up.

Bill Kilgore

Pick up 2006 as well. It's worth owning both versions.

Aye, i hear ya. I'm a big fan of the Outrun series but only have the original on the Megadrive so far. Outrunners was my very first arcade experience. It's a shame it never got a decent port because i feel like it's the best in the series.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Aye, i hear ya. I'm a big fan of the Outrun series but only have the original on the Megadrive so far. Outrunners was my very first arcade experience. It's a shame it never got a decent port because i feel like it's the best in the series.

The Genesis port is serviceable at best.

Bill Kilgore

The Genesis port is serviceable at best.

Yeah, shame about that forced split screen. To me Outrunners is one of the most underappreciated games. It never get's the credit it deserves beause it got squished between Virtua Racing and Daytona USA.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Vote for Outrun for me. I have it on Saturn SEGA Ages, and it's great. Smooth 30FPS, and an Easter-egg to bump it to 60FPS. An excellent port is also available for the Nintendo 3DS that also runs at 30FPS, and is in Stereo-3D.

Wish I had a steering-wheel though...

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
So would we'd go by time trials I assume?

Anything goes or strict guidelines?

Last edited:

Bill Kilgore

Outrun is going to be tough to do unless we all race the same courses.

How about always to the left or always to the right making only 2 variants in total then?

PS: i got Outrun2 on the Xbox getting shipped to me now.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
How about always to the left or always to the right making only 2 variants in total then?

PS: i got Outrun2 on the Xbox getting shipped to me now.

That totally works. Another thing I thought would be fun is the full course. I don't know if the console has it, but in the arcade version of SP you can race all 15 courses in a row and it's amazing.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
That totally works. Another thing I thought would be fun is the full course. I don't know if the console has it, but in the arcade version of SP you can race all 15 courses in a row and it's amazing.

That would be awesome, I'm going to hook my PS2 up tonight.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Why not let folks choose their own path, and we rank by score? Path choosing is part of the game! It would be great to see everyone's score, as well as a photo of the path-chosen screen at the end of your round.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm all in for Out Run. The Saturn version is exceptional because of the 60fps bonus. But it can't be ranked for time because of a bug (featured on all versions, also on the original arcade board). Score is the best way to go and also how Arcadia is ranking it. The course has to be named, because courses vary in length. The fastest for example is right, left, right, right (Goal D). That's the one I would recommend anyway. Additionally we could rank by time that's left at the end of the race, for that figure is not bugged.

Another important note: We should always mention if the turbo start and/or the off-road glitch was used!!! This can change the score dramatically. Everything else should stay default, i.e. time limits/car-traffic.

Ridge Racer would be great, too. MAME is the best choice, because of the pristine 60fps & progressive scan(!), but we could also give the Turbo version, featured on R4, a go. BTW, there's a big difference in difficulty between RR & RRR in both their arcade forms. The first is much more difficult. The Turbo version is based on RRR tho.

Out of titles, that have't been mentioned yet, I'd recommend: Virtua Racing (arcade or 32X), Super Monaco GP (arcade only), Ray Tracers (PS1/Taito), Power Drift (arcade or DC) & the Mario Kart series for further Racer of the Month competitions. Edit... Forgot to mention the Hang-On series: Hang-On (arcade or DC), Super Hang-On (arcade or XBLA) & Enduro Racer (arcade only).

Last edited: