Resident Evil 6

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
That sounds reasonable to me. The QTEs get more annoying on professional. One example is when you fight Baxter on the skywalk between the buildings, and he returns to humanoid form. If yo try to do a ground and pound, forget it. You will not be able to successfully tap x fast enough. Just let someone else mount him and punch his face in while you site back and relax.

Amateur is really the way to go for getting all the emblems. I am currently trying to finish all the campaigns on professional. I am at the last part of Jake's final boss fight (gave up and went to bed), and after that I just have Ada left.

Sounds just as annoying as I'd feared. I can't wait for professional QTE difficulty:P

I unlocked all the extra costumes and Clara for Mercenaries, too. Piers is...interesting to play. He packs a lot of firepower with that sniper rifle, but he has to sit still to throw the bolt on it. I found out a way you can cheap it, though. Just roll and it takes him out of the animation. Then, reload on the move and reset.

Also got the 'headshot at 50 meters w/thermal scope' achievement ('Bring The Heat', I believe it's called.) Had to equip Eagle Eye and even then, it was frustrating and annoying. But at least it's done.

Tangentially related:

I think Capcom should reach out to the Aliens: Coloinal Marines guys and do a IP swap. Put Hicks and Ripley in as characters for Mercenaries DLC and put Chris and Jill in as Coloinal Marines for Aliens multiplayer.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Sounds just as annoying as I'd feared. I can't wait for professional QTE difficulty:P

I unlocked all the extra costumes and Clara for Mercenaries, too. Piers is...interesting to play. He packs a lot of firepower with that sniper rifle, but he has to sit still to throw the bolt on it. I found out a way you can cheap it, though. Just roll and it takes him out of the animation. Then, reload on the move and reset.

Also got the 'headshot at 50 meters w/thermal scope' achievement ('Bring The Heat', I believe it's called.) Had to equip Eagle Eye and even then, it was frustrating and annoying. But at least it's done.

Tangentially related:

I think Capcom should reach out to the Aliens: Coloinal Marines guys and do a IP swap. Put Hicks and Ripley in as characters for Mercenaries DLC and put Chris and Jill in as Coloinal Marines for Aliens multiplayer.

ok, here's something

I have no idea how to do a roll by command. Are you laying down first and aiming the rifle?

Does laying down increase steadiness? It should.

Capcom didn't give me an instruction booklet with this game. They were like "yeah dude, go online and get that shit from gamefaqs! Because Capcom's US branch is a bunch of pot dealing surfers.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
its not just Capcom. I've picked up maybe 10 new releases this year. Id say 4 of them had no manual.

Eventually when we buy games - it will just be the case. There won't be a game disc inside it - just a key to download it

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'm going through them on professional now. I've finished Leons and Jake's on professional, and I'm on Chapter 4 with Chris. I don't think the difficulty makes a difference when going for serpent emblems. The only problem I had was getting the emblem on Chapter 3 with Chris, when you have to snipe it as the helicopter is shooting at you (I believe it's the 3rd emblem) - when the plane shoots you, it takes 3 bars of health, even when level 3 defense equipped. Other than that, it's just knowing where they are when you go through the chapters.

I completely agree with QTE's on professional, though. Some of them are just cheap deaths.

Chris has a slick spot where he can rack up 20k skill points on chapter 5, I think it is. A good place to remember for when you're going for the max skills achievement/trophy. Takes 7-10 minutes to get.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
its not just Capcom. I've picked up maybe 10 new releases this year. Id say 4 of them had no manual.

Eventually when we buy games - it will just be the case. There won't be a game disc inside it - just a key to download it

when we eventually have a home arcade system that we pay for credits to play the games at home...

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
ok, here's something

I have no idea how to do a roll by command. Are you laying down first and aiming the rifle?

Capcom didn't give me an instruction booklet with this game. They were like "yeah dude, go online and get that shit from gamefaqs! Because Capcom's US branch is a bunch of pot dealing surfers.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494812

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm going through them on professional now. I've finished Leons and Jake's on professional, and I'm on Chapter 4 with Chris. I don't think the difficulty makes a difference when going for serpent emblems. The only problem I had was getting the emblem on Chapter 3 with Chris, when you have to snipe it as the helicopter is shooting at you (I believe it's the 3rd emblem) - when the plane shoots you, it takes 3 bars of health, even when level 3 defense equipped. Other than that, it's just knowing where they are when you go through the chapters.

I completely agree with QTE's on professional, though. Some of them are just cheap deaths.

Chris has a slick spot where he can rack up 20k skill points on chapter 5, I think it is. A good place to remember for when you're going for the max skills achievement/trophy. Takes 7-10 minutes to get.

But you need to do new game to get the skills points again, right? Or are these dropped by enemies? Because I feel like the best place to just rack up skills points is outside the cathedral when the bell is ringing. The courtyard fills with bloodshots and screamers that drop a lot of points.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
But you need to do new game to get the skills points again, right? Or are these dropped by enemies? Because I feel like the best place to just rack up skills points is outside the cathedral when the bell is ringing. The courtyard fills with bloodshots and screamers that drop a lot of points.

There's a section where you can pull levers with Chris and 2 cocoons come out at a time with enemies who drop big skill points (you can pull I think 5 levers total). It's right at the beginning of the chapter (about 5 minutes out from the beginning). I did it a few times to unlock the unlimited ammo with the shotgun (strictly to farm this section). I do it on amateur, too, so they go down in a few shots (same amount of skill points drop). When I get to the next section, it saves, so I just exit the game and load up chapter 5 again.

I think that point at the cathedral is after you've gone through the cemetery and stuff, so it takes awhile to get there. It may not be optimal, if you're farming.

EDIT - A video:

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Also, farming that way with Chris helps with the "BOWs Are Ugly" achievement/trophy

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
when we eventually have a home arcade system that we pay for credits to play the games at home...

oh yeah, that coming soon. The first step is taking away all physical media so it can be controlled on the server side

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I really wish there was a rotten egg glitch in this game. Even with skill farming, it's still a long grind to max out all skills.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
ok, here's something

I hadn't thought to try that, actually. Normally, I don't have to worry about it because the enemies are pretty relentless in closing.

As for rolling on command, I just hold Left Trigger (L1 for PS3, I believe), hold in a direction and press A/X. As long as I wasn't backed into a corner, I was able to stay on the move while I reloaded Piers' rifle. Once the enemies really start to pile up near the end of the Mercs stage, there is no shortage of bad guys to keep the combo going.

I don't like having to shoot the Combo Bonuses. Also, Capcom could have done a better job making the timers stand out from the environment, maybe made them a little more 'glowy' or 'sparkly' or something. Just a minor quibble, but I liked how in 4/5, the Timer Bonuses were easy to spot in the heat of the moment.

Not too sure how I feel about the Reload button being the same as the Loot gathering button. But I haven't messed with the options except to change the target setting to Laser (ala 4/5) so I don't know.

Working on mastering the Counter. Incredibly satisfying to grab one of those big red bastards out of mid air and stomp their heart into a red stain.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Countered 9 enemies in a row. Still no bob n weave achievement. Glitched out piece of shit. 2 hours on this bullshit.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I hadn't thought to try that, actually. Normally, I don't have to worry about it because the enemies are pretty relentless in closing.

As for rolling on command, I just hold Left Trigger (L1 for PS3, I believe), hold in a direction and press A/X. As long as I wasn't backed into a corner, I was able to stay on the move while I reloaded Piers' rifle. Once the enemies really start to pile up near the end of the Mercs stage, there is no shortage of bad guys to keep the combo going.

I don't like having to shoot the Combo Bonuses. Also, Capcom could have done a better job making the timers stand out from the environment, maybe made them a little more 'glowy' or 'sparkly' or something. Just a minor quibble, but I liked how in 4/5, the Timer Bonuses were easy to spot in the heat of the moment.

Not too sure how I feel about the Reload button being the same as the Loot gathering button. But I haven't messed with the options except to change the target setting to Laser (ala 4/5) so I don't know.

Working on mastering the Counter. Incredibly satisfying to grab one of those big red bastards out of mid air and stomp their heart into a red stain.

The pick up button has caused me some issues on time cutting. I don't want no smg ammo, and its so plentiful, so I usually have to dump it and waste time.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Spent a lot more time with this game over the last few days. Some more long winded thoughts.

DRAMATIC CAMERA ANGLES

The dramatic camera angles suck. When playing as Chris/Piers and I have to run up the edge of the facility as Haos smashes the ramp, it's a cheap form of difficulty for the camera angle to shift, thereby destroying any sense of the perspective necessary to successfully navigate the obstacles on a single run. There is simply no excuse for this BS, and it's a cheap and artifical form of difficulty.

What they SHOULD have done is allow me to run with the regular camera angle, pressing a button to get a look over my shoulder to see how close he is, and tweaking the time so there is less room for error.

COUNTER-INTUITIVE BOSS BATTLES

There are too many instances where it's simply not clear what you're supposed to do in some boss fights except through trial and error, which is both a pain in the ass and a drain on resources. The final Haos fight and the last Baxter fight are perfect indications of this.

CHEAP AMMO LOSS

Too many times in this game, you're encouraged to shoot at stuff to absolutely no consequence other than to lose ammo. IMO, it's bad game design.

CHARACTER EXCLUSIVE EMBLEMS

There is a Serpent Emblem Chris cannot get in Chapter 2. There is a Serpent Emblem Piers cannot get in Chapter 5 (the very last one). This would not be so bad if the following weren't true.

THE SAVE SYSTEM SUCKS

Give me the opportunity to save any time, anywhere. In this day and age, why does this archaic save system even exist?

SUDDENLY CAN'T WALK

I can't even begin to count how many times I was forced to climb or crawl, or when there was a tremor or altitude shift that, to no added effect whatsoever besides frustrating me as a player, prevented me from walking forward. These kinds of QTEs were irritating in RE 5 but they weren't quite the buzzkill they are here. Capcom got out of hand with this shit.

NARRATIVE FLOW

It sucks that so many key points receive elaboration/explanation in the Serpent Emblem extra notes. There are important things here that, due to clumsy storytelling in the cutscenes, are not clearly indicated.

You find out Chris lost his memory due to head trauma if you read the notes.

Only problem is: how am I, as a person playing this game, supposed to even take that seriously? The dude gets hit by monsters that can throw trucks. He gets slammed into walls all the time. He falls and falls and bounces off the ground. He gets punched in the face by Albert Wesker repeatedly. But now, because the story needs him to have amnesia as a convenient plot device that really doesn't mean anything, he gets pummeled by a monster and his head bounces off the pavement and now he can't remember?

I get it. Capcom wanted Chris to hate 'Ada' because that creates conflict and tension between Chris and Leon. But there are better ways to create that type of tension. Like, I don't know, maybe having Chris learn that 'Ada' is responsible for his men dying in Edonia only AFTER the present moment? And instead of having him be a drunk, fallen hero in a European dive, have him over there undercover, researching leads and actively pursuing the culprit?

UNANSWERED QUESIONS:

Who the fuck:

Spoiler:
is the guy in the chopper that shoots Clara?

This question is never answered or explained in any of the four storylines, at least as far as I can tell.

It looks like they're implying that

Spoiler:
it's Albert Wesker, or perhaps another of the 'Wesker children' that takes more after his father

but it doesn't seem like the story clearly explains who the individual is or why they do what they do.

If this answer is anywhere in the cutscenes that serve as the main presentation for the narrative, I haven't seen it.

The game badly needs a director's cut already. Not only to fix the many issues the game has but also to fix the presentation and create a better narrative flow.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'm still loving the game. It's awesome. Two achievements left (covered in brass & mad skills)

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Despite all the problems I feel it has, I still find myself compelled to play it. It's fun when it actually lets me just play.

We should do some Mercs some time.

Offer's good for anyone who can put up with me, btw. I have the game for both systems.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
That's good news.

After playing chapters two through four of Jake's campaign last night I'm all kinds of pissed off at the game at this moment.

Please elaborate. I'd like to read your thoughts.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm still loving the game. It's awesome. Two achievements left (covered in brass & mad skills)

Glad you love it. But once I get all the achievements, I don't see myself touching this game again.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The full list of patches, copied and pasted from the press release:

•Gamers will be able to adjust the camera to give a greater field of view as best suits their play style. Screenshots illustrating the new camera and co-op features can be found on Capcom's press site. The camera screenshot pairs show the minimum and maximum range of the new camera setting. Please note that this feature is still in development and may change without further notice before the title update is released.
•Subtitle options have been improved so that English language audio can be combined with subtitles in an alternative language.
•As recently announced, Ada Wong's campaign will be unlocked from the start and have an optional player-controlled co-op partner added. It was previously necessary to complete all three other campaigns in order to unlock Ada's story.
•'No Hope' difficulty level will be added above the existing levels, for players who want an extreme challenge.
•Capcom values user feedback on Resident Evil 6 and ResidentEvil.net and is working continuously to improve the experience for players.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The full list of patches, copied and pasted from the press release:

•Gamers will be able to adjust the camera to give a greater field of view as best suits their play style. Screenshots illustrating the new camera and co-op features can be found on Capcom's press site. The camera screenshot pairs show the minimum and maximum range of the new camera setting. Please note that this feature is still in development and may change without further notice before the title update is released.
•Subtitle options have been improved so that English language audio can be combined with subtitles in an alternative language.
•As recently announced, Ada Wong's campaign will be unlocked from the start and have an optional player-controlled co-op partner added. It was previously necessary to complete all three other campaigns in order to unlock Ada's story.
•'No Hope' difficulty level will be added above the existing levels, for players who want an extreme challenge.
•Capcom values user feedback on Resident Evil 6 and ResidentEvil.net and is working continuously to improve the experience for players.

No hope sounds cool, but also seems like no difficulty is truly difficult when the unlimited magnum/grenade launcher skill is attached. Maybe I'll just get an A rank instead of S...